Least favourite genre/gameplay?

I was organising my game collection and I counted about 5 fighting games. I don't like fighters and I am unsure why I even have them or what motivated me to buy them.

I was just wondering what genres people disliked or didn't enjoy. One of my most hated game-play aspects/mechanics is first person platforming. I am playing through Far Cry 3 at the moment and climbing those effing antenna towers is so damn irritating. 

Sports games (although I do like the occasional racing game), 2D platformers, mindless fighting, anything that has an arcade feel or is just overly simplistic

Don't really like fighting games, or hack and slash (there are a few exceptions, but if you can complete the game by just continually mashing the attack button, I don't like it :p)

I wouldn't play sports games by myself either, but if you're with a group of friends (drunk?) sports games are sometimes fun.

Sports games getting no love here on Neowin so far.

kind of interesting because I was under the impression the Fifa, Madden etc. were pretty big sellers.

Ugh, I hate Zombie games, they are so clich? and overrated. I am not a fan of sporting games either.

• Like 4

I hate RTS

Why?

clickfest. When I click I fire a weapon or do some action that apleases me but in a RTS, I click to order some AI to move around or fire or do something useful rather than just standing around. Clicking through menus. If I wanted to do that I would just open Word or Excel and actually get some real work done.

I like action games because they engage me and keep me in the race or action. Shooting and racing. A game is supposed to be fun and engaging.  I don't classify RTS as games but rather a clicking simulator.

FPS.  And yet I own all three Bioshock games (BS1 and 2 on both PS3 and PC), UT3, Dishonored, Killzone 2, looking forward to Shadowfall, both Fallout games, Skyrim (hey, I play it in first-person and I use magic so that's sort of shooting), and I'm sure there's others.

I enjoy sports games, but I only own one MLB game from this gen, one Madden, and one NCAA.  Mostly because the gameplay and graphics don't change that much during a generation, and ###### buying it every year for the roster update.

I'm weird, I know.

Not a fan of sports, or strategy games (though I was a huge fan of C&C older entries and Warcraft before they went MMO route)

I dont like MMO either.

Sports games (although I do like the occasional racing game), 2D platformers, mindless fighting, anything that has an arcade feel or is just overly simplistic

i dislike sports, and i do love occasional racing game...  

But mindless fighting and 2D platformers, and anything arcade is what got me to LOVE gaming...      what do you play, that you dont like arcade?  only strategy? or MMO?  

then again, maybe i am too old... 

Driving games... it's so repetitive in my opinion. I drive 2 hours a day to go to work... I don't want to play I drive a car :p

I'm starting to get bored with FPS too. They killed this type of games imo with too many CoD, Battlefield, etc.  They're all the same.

My favorite types of game: Survival horrors, RTS, Hack n' slash, platformers (big Ratchet & Clank fan). I also love games like Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit, and retro gaming (Super Metroid, LoZ:ALTTP, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Evermore, etc.)

I'm ok with a good golf game though. I miss the good old "Links" games.

Hard to pick a genre as a lot of games cross genre boundaries these days. I'd automatically say FPSs, but that is unfair on games like Far Cry 3 and Fallout 3 that are part RPG too. So for me it is the generic run-of-the-mill FPSs that don't try to add nothing new to the genre. Other than that, any genre is fine with me. Even sports games.

Gameplay... any game that has a fixed-over-the-shoulder third person camera. Not only does it make me motion sick, it just irritates me from a design point of view. It's like the developers can't make their mind up between first person or third person, so they go for this less-than-optimal compromise.

Sports games (with the exception of some racing games) I just have no interest in, games like Fifa just seems like the same thing in a new box every year to me.

RPG's / MMORPG's also, i just don't have the attention span. However i have played and enjoyed all the recent Pokemon games on the DS.

Basically i'm extremely fussy with games, however sports and rpg games in general are a no for me.

I'd probably have to go with FPS. I'm just not a fan of the general communities of FPS games, or PvP competition. Hacks are especially deterring. I used to love FPS.. back when Battlefield 1942 was around, when you could play on private servers with just friends, lans, or generally just do whatever the hell you want. Now you've got bloatware, required online connection, forced public servers; you can't just fire up a private game with bots to screw around with nowadays. Call of Duty 4 was probably the last (competitive) FPS I really enjoyed. I'll still fire up the occasional single player FPS (Far Cry 3 for instance), but I mainly avoid the junk they've churned out lately.

#2: Sports

#3: Fighting games

#4: RTS games

My faves: RPGs, sim games (flight sims, space sims mainly), and (sim) racing games

Strategy probably. I just don't get on with them.

I also hate Free 2 Play games. I think they are terrible and ruining the industry.

Even Path of Exile?

Sports games. I detest them. Then again, I dislike a majority of sports. I just wish my friend's son would realise this, he's constantly telling me about the latest stats in the premiership or the "incredible" thing that happened in the match the other night. When I babysit them he asks me to play Fifa (or is it Pro Evo? Who knows...) and he's always asking me which team I want to be. Apparently "it makes no difference to me, mate" isn't an answer.

Are Facebook/flash games a genre as well? They annoy me no end.

• Like 2