what CPU was that?

Intel Q6600 ?

I believe so I.

#32 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:24

Look forward to my upcoming review of MS-DOS 6.02.

Upgrade to 6.22 it supports more commands :D

#33 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,498 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:40

Upgrade to 6.22 it supports more commands :D

I never understood you command line people. Windows 3.11 for Workgroups provides much easier networking and rock solid stability than anything on the market today. :p

#34 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:43

I remember accidentally installing win 3.11 for workgroups without installing Dos 6.xx first I had just formatted and sys`d the drive from bootable floppy

#35 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,682 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:46

Hello,

On topic, the review is kind of weak. Looks more like a opinion article.

#36 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:49

Windows Vista is sooo worst, because of hardware problem!

LOLWUT

#37 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,328 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:51

I know many here will find this hard to believe, but I was considered back then to be a "Vista fanboy", and gave it much praise.  

You don't say.  :laugh:

#38 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,752 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:02

every other problem with vista was **** ups from OEMs and hardware companies.

Going by this definition nothing is a flop then. It's always OEM and third party fault.

IMO it's MS responsability to be sure its OS is supported by big manufacturers before launch as much as it's let's take for example Nintendo responsability to get 3rd party support for its console.

We are not talking about drivers problem for some obscure and unknown companies here. I had brand new Creative and nVidia cards and both of them were not working properly. My Creative card actually never worked. I even removed it from the computer. I heard Creative released proper drivers later but i did not bother i still use today this card as a papereweight (X-Fi Platinum with snap, crackle and pop problem under vista). I think it took many weeks for nVidia to release proper drivers not BSoDing.

Also on a side note MS never really supported vista gadgets seriously. This part of Vista was definately a big flop and a big disappointment. I did not have the ultimate version but from what i heard it was not good either.

I did blame Creative and nVidia for this. But i did blame rightfully Microsoft for it too.

#39 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,604 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:10

Going by this definition nothing is a flop then. It's always OEM and third party fault.

IMO it's MS responsability to be sure its OS is supported by big manufacturers before launch as much as it's let's take for example Nintendo responsability to get 3rd party support for its console.

We are not talking about drivers problem for some obscure and unknown companies here. I had brand new Creative and nVidia cards and both of them were not working properly. My Creative card actually never worked. I even removed it from the computer. I heard Creative released proper drivers later but i did not bother i still use today this card as a papereweight (X-Fi Platinum with snap, crackle and pop problem under vista). I think it took many weeks for nVidia to release proper drivers not BSoDing.

Also on a side note MS never really supported vista gadgets seriously. This part of Vista was definately a big flop and a big disappointment. I did not have the ultimate version but from what i heard it was not good either.

I did blame Creative and nVidia for this. But i did blame rightfully Microsoft for it too.

the hardware companies where given plenty of time to prepare drivers. they were sloppy that's not MS fault

besides a few issues which did indeed get fixed with SP1 all the blame actually does go to the hardware manufacturers

#40 gameboy1977

gameboy1977

Neowinian

• 932 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:49

LOLWUT

yesterday, I played everquest 2 on windows vista, but it keep crashing at 9 times per one day. *grab a lightsaber and cut the windows vista off the laptop,and install Windows 7 or 8.1 with forces*

#41 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:57

Kinda doubt that was the fault of the OS.

#42 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

• 5,619 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:08

Did I just time travel to 1985 2007? 

I ran Vista on a circa 2004 HP off the shelf tower with a single core Athlon and never had any issues. I know many here will find this hard to believe, but I was considered back then to be a "Vista fanboy", and gave it much praise. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the rotten Windows XP, and never regretted upgrading at all. I ran Vista up until 2011. :yes:

LOL, Microsoft could ship you a new PC with a fresh turd in the DVD drive and you'd find a way to spin it and preach its superiority to the great unwashed. No offense, but seriously....You probably have a Windows Whaling wall in your house.

Vista was fine with 4GB of RAM and up :)

#43 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:17

I blame Microsoft for making Windows Vista's requirements considerably higher than xp. I also blame the device manufacturers for being lazy and not releasing drivers for vista.  There were a lot of graphics card back then that didn't have drivers for vista, and was huge headache. I had a lot pcs I'm my house that could technically run vista, but the graphics cards in my pcs did not have vista drivers available. If Microsoft made Vista have lower requirements and didn't make vista such a research hog, then it could have been more successful. My now gone desktop emachines t3256 ran windows xp like butter. When installed vista, the computer was so slow and becoming frozen at times, even though it had a 1gb of ram, a vista supported graphics card and a Athlon xp processor. Later on I test drove Windows 7 on the emachines t3256 and the computer liked it much better and windows 7 ran like night and day compared to vista. Microsoft woefully understated Vista's requirements, vista really needed a dual core processor  and 2gbs of ram as minimum.

#44 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,735 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:25

You think driver support for Vista was bad? Shouldve tried running XP x64 Edition back before Vista was released.

#45 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,177 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:41

I remember back in the Vista days our local phone company was giving away free Dell computers with Vista as part of some promotion. I think they were a slow CPU (Can't remember which) with 512 megs of ram running Vista Basic. The term "Ran like ass", doesn't even come close to describe the performance of those machines. Once I put 2GB of ram in those machines they ran MUCH better.

I think Vista basic was the death of vista.