EA Cancels Command & Conquer

Generals was wonderful. The Chinook was my favourite unit. I'd make stupidly strong defenses and sit out the entire match, until at the very end I'd do massive airborne assaults on whoever was left :D

The only problem was that I really needed a few traffic cops to sort out the massive traffic/tank-jams that inevitably resulted... 

I seriously wanted to see it in a modern engine.  It had major problems with 2p+6AI.

This sucks.  Meh.

You know I don't know if it's actually been cancelled -

http://www.commandandconquer.com/en/news/1380/a-new-future-for-command-conquer

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

All they did was cancel that version of the game. They might hire another studio to develop a new version using some assets from the recently-cancelled one. They might even re-hire the same studio to make another version. It's unfortunate that it was cancelled and I'm glad they're focusing on releasing a quality title.

If they had made it an actual CnC games and not a generals game I would have played. Generals never had anything do to with CnC and never appealed to me. The style is just horrible. 

Anyway, it's kind if stupid to call EA the killer of games/worlds when they've tried to keep CnC alive so much that they had to cancel 4 failed projects. without them we wouldn't have any CnC.

• Like 2

You know I don't know if it's actually been cancelled -

http://www.commandandconquer.com/en/news/1380/a-new-future-for-command-conquer

Which would be the second time thisgames has been cancelled "as is" to be redone because it wasn't good enough.

it shows some serious dedication and willingness to spend money on this, but yeah, "evil EA" .... :rolleyes: :p

If they had made it an actual CnC games and not a generals game I would have played. Generals never had anything do to with CnC and never appealed to me. The style is just horrible. 

Anyway, it's kind if stupid to call EA the killer of games/worlds when they've tried to keep CnC alive so much that they had to cancel 4 failed projects. without them we wouldn't have any CnC.

To be fair EA used to treat studios as an extension of themselves rather than an individual entity.  Hence Westwood merging into EALA even though they originally were based in Las Vegas.  I could point to other examples I'm not as personally invested in so can't say much about (Origin Systems for example.)

They've been much nicer about keeping studios distinct and not messing with them, though they obviously help eachother (as with DICE doing Frostbite and all that fun stuff) and need to be making money.

There's plenty of bad history here, but it's history.  They certainly have faults, but they're nowhere near the evil megalomaniac people make them out to be.

All they did was cancel that version of the game. They might hire another studio to develop a new version using some assets from the recently-cancelled one. They might even re-hire the same studio to make another version. It's unfortunate that it was cancelled and I'm glad they're focusing on releasing a quality title.

:shiftyninja: There's still hope? :unsure:  :huh:  :|  :o?  :)  :D  :laugh:  :jump:

good!     this really did sound like it is going to be awful.

ever since the old ones i have lost interest.     Generals were decent though, i have to admit,   Not the same, but still good.  

Best news I heard all day, so happy that abomination is not getting made (Y). C&C4 was a mitigated disaster and this new one showed they still did not learn. Either return C&C to its roots and give us the standard RTS format we all know and love (none of this free-to-play or massively multiplayer nonsense) with a proper single player mode or don't make anything at all. 

• Like 1

Best news I heard all day, so happy that abomination is not getting made (Y). C&C4 was a mitigated disaster and this new one showed they still did not learn. Either return C&C to its roots and give us the standard RTS format we all know and love (none of this free-to-play or massively multiplayer nonsense) with a proper single player mode or don't make anything at all. 

What does it matter if the game is F2P. this essentially gave you the full game for this one, and it DID have a ful single player campaign as well.

the problem with this was that it was another generals game, not a CnC game. 

I can't say I'm surprised by the announcement. EA has run the franchise into the ground and this wasn't going to do anything to restore its appeal.

Whichever way you slice it shame to see this once great franchise keep stumbling.

Stumbling compared to what?

There are different fans of different aspects of the franchise - between the original, Generals, Red Alert, and even the Tiberium series, that is like four different versions - all of which can make the claim to be Command and Conquer, and all of which have their fans, if not outright fanatics.  Which way do you go - or can you go, for that matter - without horking everyone else off?

That is likely the biggest issue that confronts Victory Games, and EA, going forward - no matter WHICH way you take the series, a LOT of folks WILL be horked off.

I like games in all FOUR subseries, and have OWNED (as in paid money for) games in all four series, but for different reasons.  However, folks like me are more and more of an exception nowadays - not the rule.  

Each of the four game types has been successful, as well - which only makes choosing among them harder - not easier.

In fact, I'm going to make a rather bold claim (concerning the bashers of EA) - I would wager that there is little agreement on what way EA should go with the Command and Conquer series going forward - which illustrates the problem that EA (or any developer or publisher) has in taking a title that has been successful, and especially one that has been successful in multiple ways.

What does it matter if the game is F2P. this essentially gave you the full game for this one, and it DID have a ful single player campaign as well.

the problem with this was that it was another generals game, not a CnC game. 

It had no single player (it was dropped in favour of multi player when it went F2P), it's was a multi player only title. However, back when it was Generals 2 and being developed by BioWare, it DID have a single player campaign. The only thing Victory promised was it wouldn't be "pay to win". I wasn't that bothered it was Generals (loved the first one) although I would of loved another C&C based in the Tiberium Dawn universe (I'd been happy if they had just pretended C&C4 didn't happen and released a true sequel to C&C3). That is my 2 cents anyway...

Stumbling compared to what?

There are different fans of different aspects of the franchise - between the original, Generals, Red Alert, and even the Tiberium series, that is like four different versions - all of which can make the claim to be Command and Conquer, and all of which have their fans, if not outright fanatics.  Which way do you go - or can you go, for that matter - without horking everyone else off?

That is likely the biggest issue that confronts Victory Games, and EA, going forward - no matter WHICH way you take the series, a LOT of folks WILL be horked off.

Let's be realistic here, the last traditional C&C game was C&C4: Tiberian Twilight and it received very poor ratings from reviewers and users alike. That was followed up by the free-to-play C&C: Alliances, which was also widely criticised and poorly received. The series has been circling the drain for a while now. As for appealing to fans, there were only two main themes: Original and Red Alert. Generals should have never been released under the C&C name - it's not that it was a bad game, it's just that it didn't have any connection to the main franchise and was incredibly generic thematically.

EA's problem is that it keeps giving major franchises to nobody developers, which we've seen with C&C4, C&C 2013, Syndicate and Medal Of Honor. Top-tier franchises need top-tier developers to remain credible. Heck, with C&C 2013 EA couldn't even commit to a theme, as it was originally going to be General 2 and then they backtracked on that. For what it's worth the gameplay footage looked better than I was expecting but it didn't do anything new - it didn't have the magic that first drew me to the franchise.

At the end of the day all C&C fans want is a decent RTS game, which this wasn't shaping up to be. The move to F2P and the scrapping of single-player were all fans needed to know to avoid it.

• Like 2