PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

This really surprises me.  I had thought there were some user statistics out there that showed media consumption used more regularly than gaming on XBox 360 and PS3.  I suspect that they just don't have the software ready for release, and it is a low priority.  Probably will come in a patch.

Earlier this year, Microsoft noted that the Xbox One will not work as a Windows Media Center Extender, which would have allowed users to connect multiple devices running Windows. DLNA support, while possible on the Xbox 360, is still unconfirmed for the Xbox One.

That really shouldn't surprise anyone who has had the misfortune of actually trying to use an XBox 360 as a Windows Media Center Extender (it was an absolute crap experience).  I'm pretty sure they removed extender support in a system update.

MKV is a container, not a format. Most MKV's contain formats that play just fine on the Xbox.(h264 / mpeg)  There are DLNA clients that will directplay mkv's on the 360 (and x1 assuming they don't gimp this feature)

I use plex dlna right now and it will open and stream the mkv's in directplay as long as the contained formats work well and transcode what the 360 doesn't do..

I'm aware of what MKV is, I didn't want to get into specifics but the "official" way to use PlayTo itself is through MS's own Xbox Music or Xbox Video or Windows Media Player apps.  Those won't support MKV to Xbox 360 using PlayTo iirc.  It's also a chore to even get MKVs to show up in WMP in the first place (need to edit the registry and so on).    But as I said, if the PlayTo feature is also supported on the Xbox One like on the 360 it's using DNLA and that means that the same media servers you bring up will also keep working on the XB1 like they have on the 360.

I find it ironic how during the initial PS4 and Xbox One announcements everyone praised Sony for not removing features and being a system built for gamers because it focused on games more than other entertainment features. But now everyone is up in arms over this feature not being included? This can probably be added later down the road via a software update or even an app download.  It's looking like the Xbox One is the better choice if you are interested in an all in one entertainment system.

The PlayStation 4 has yet to be released, so any of these announced removed features could change from now to the launch possibly. This is a blog (even though its a official PS blog) also, so maybe there is a chance some of the things in it are erroneous.

i didn't understand anything you just said.    As far as we know MS still has DLNA / mp3 / cd audio playback.  THe only thing MS finally retired was media center but you don't need media center anymore.. (And removing media center doesn't break dlna/mp3/cd playback..)

Well i dunno, my LG smart TV has plex on it although its not a porper app like on samsung TV's, i hit select input switch to plex (same bar as that av, hdmi 1 hdmi 2 input sources etc, and it doesnt play mkv or mp4's so thought it was a licensing thing. maybe not then

I agree, but considering how straightforward he's been with consumers this past year, I'm inclined to believe in good faith that they may change their minds on this one. I mean, it's not like we're asking for a change as dramatic as that of the XBO's 180 so I don't see why not.

Its amazing how much good will Sony was able to build without having to do a whole lot.  In fact, they have had the luxury of not telling us a whole lot about there system, with much info only now coming to light.

I agree that anything is possible and that if Sony changes all of this for us than great. But for now, I think its a little strange to just brush it off because its possible they change these things. I certainly hope they do fix these things, but for now, it can't be ignored.

The PlayStation 4 has yet to be released, so any of these announced removed features could change from now to the launch possibly. This is a blog (even though its a official PS blog) also, so maybe there is a chance some of the things in it are erroneous.

Why am I getting flashbacks to X1 discussions when the drm stuff was changed.

Lets just see what happens if Sony does change these things.  Will users hold a grudge, or will they forgive and forget? Will they view Sony as listening to consumers positively, or will they hold it against them for even trying to do this in the first place?

If your going to have PC hooked to TV you might as well get rid of PS4 all together.  Spend a few extra dollars  PC desktop computer that is much better then PS4.

You are right but there are so many games which are exclusive to PS3 console.

Thats rediculous, even ?40 bluray players have DLNA support im actually more against MS on this than sonys announcement cus x1 is marketed as an entertainment hub for your house so you can watch cable etc and its obviously positioned to be the central hub for your entertainment needs and seeing as were getting more into the digital age where MS WAS going to go mostly full downloads/digital etc youd expect them to have this to stream all your digital content that you have in your house through your x1 (in case you havnt got a smart TV). Although im wondering if it has someat to do with licensing the decoders to stream stuff cus avi just doesnt cut it anymore as people want bluray which is downloaded as MKV but im seeing more and more mp4's now. Could be that but could be wrong

Microsoft only dropped MC support, not DLNA

To clear things up, is DLNA when my 360 picks up all my music and videos across the network because I've enabled sharing on my PC?

Yes, it's the service used to stream to the devices. Used by other programs like ps3 media server etc as well which stream content your normal device won't read.

Wow... just wow...  in a way they didn't lie, when. They said they were focused on the best gaming console possible.

But to wait 3weeks for release, to say what it can't do... that's kinda deceitful...

I'll take an upfront DRM attempt over this crap any day of the week.  at least Microsoft wasn't trying to hide it...

• Like 2

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Ok see, that kind of stuff is what frustrates me about the internet community.  Anyone can make a tweet like this, and if the guy had not corrected myself, I bet you money a hoard of people would be pushing this as a fact in some argument.

Thank goodness he saw fit to correct that statement, but you know some people already took that and ran with it.

The Xbox worked nicely has a media extender, it was kind of crap using DLNA. Either way all the consoles kind of suck as a media server compared to any other dedicated media server.

I don't know who this guy is but Microsoft added miracast support in Windows 8.1 while still supporting DLNA. If XBO only supports miracast, functionally it will be still on par at least with better support than DLNA.

The Xbox worked nicely has a media extender, it was kind of crap using DLNA. Either way all the consoles kind of suck as a media server compared to any other dedicated media server.

Well the only reason I'm leaning towards the X1 as a good media htpc replacement is its app support. 

MS has not yet laid out how the app market will work and how easy it will be for developers to submit apps, but since its all based on Win 8 and they have demoed such apps running on the X1, it leaves open the possibility of a real advantage.  You could get something like Plex or Media Browser 3 on your X1 and suddenly it can play anything you have locally or via a server. 

The MB3 dev team is currently working on a Win 8 app and will follow up with the X1 as soon as MS gives the green light.  The VLC devs are also working on a Win 8 app, which could also come to the X1, allowing for great format support.

We will see what happens.  I would just like to move my htpc out of the main theater room and only have my game consoles. 

...I still enjoy my PS2... for the very reason that it does one thing, and does it great, play video games.

The good old days.  I consider that to be the last console of the 'Golden Age' of gaming.  The PS3 and the 360 ushered in the new era where game consoles grew into much more that just gaming, moving closer to a pc in the process.

I don't know who this guy is but Microsoft added miracast support in Windows 8.1 while still supporting DLNA. If XBO only supports miracast, functionally it will be still on par at least with better support than DLNA.

You should try Miracast, it's good enough for photos but the framerate and quality are so unstable it's completely unusable for video.

On the PS4 front, well, I can understand why (and I think it'd be logical if Microsoft did the same). There is pretty much no service that offers legitimate video content as standard local files. PS3 Media Server and the likes were only used to display pirated content (or in a vast majority). You need to remember that Sony is also a content company, and one of the biggest. If you want to stream or watch movies/tv shows, do it through the legit channels. Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, DVD, ... Can't blame them for not supporting a feature that was only used to enable piracy.

Another tip that was given before: get a Raspberry Pi and load it up with OpenELEC. It's incredibly simple to do and it makes a much better streamer than any console. No transcoding needed, just create a regular share on your PC/NAS, add it to your XBMC library and you can stream just fine in better quality and using less resources.

• Like 3

You should try Miracast, it's good enough for photos but the framerate and quality are so unstable it's completely unusable for video.

On the PS4 front, well, I can understand why (and I think it'd be logical if Microsoft did the same). There is pretty much no service that offers legitimate video content as standard local files. PS3 Media Server and the likes were only used to display pirated content (or in a vast majority). You need to remember that Sony is also a content company, and one of the biggest. If you want to stream or watch movies/tv shows, do it through the legit channels. Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, DVD, ... Can't blame them for not supporting a feature that was only used to enable piracy.

Another tip that was given before: get a Raspberry Pi and load it up with OpenELEC. It's incredibly simple to do and it makes a much better streamer than any console. No transcoding needed, just create a regular share on your PC/NAS, add it to your XBMC library and you can stream just fine in better quality and using less resources.

I don't have any Miracast device besides my Win 8.1 PCs to try it. The piracy angle is pointless because there are many people like me who use DLNA to stream home photosvideos and youtube to TV (Xbox 360). I stream photos from my phone to Xbox 360 using DLNA too.

I don't care what Sony's other divisions do and I don't really have to because I won't be buying a PS4 in foreseeable future. I was only commenting on XBO which I may end up buying around Halo 5.

It is disingenuous to imply that people who use DLNA are pirates and hence it should not be implemented. Netflix, Hulu etc. all support Airplay streaming on iOS.

I know about Raspberry Pi and countless other streamer options, I just prefer a more all in one solution like Xbox 360(in my case).

You have to remember that Xbox Music and Xbox Video are just still apps that also access the services but they read your library and play your local content (if it's a supported format).  So again, those apps should, iirc, support the PlayTo feature directly to the Xbox One.    All it is, is a MS rebranding of a DLNA feature.

They have demonstrated PlayTo to stream a movie to an Xbox One at the WPC conference this year.