PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

I don't have any Miracast device besides my Win 8.1 PCs to try it. The piracy angle is pointless because there are many people like me who use DLNA to stream home photosvideos and youtube to TV (Xbox 360). I stream photos from my phone to Xbox 360 using DLNA too.

I don't care what Sony's other divisions do and I don't really have to because I won't be buying a PS4 in foreseeable future. I was only commenting on XBO which I may end up buying around Halo 5.

It is disingenuous to imply that people who use DLNA are pirates and hence it should not be implemented. Netflix, Hulu etc. all support Airplay streaming on iOS.

I know about Raspberry Pi and countless other streamer options, I just prefer a more all in one solution like Xbox 360(in my case).

With the greatest respect, I know lots and lots of people who use media servers. And every single one of them uses them to dish up downloaded / pirate content. I don't know a single person who uses a media server to stream home photo's, and legally obtained content - the only people I know who do that, do so on devices like an Apple TV.

I'm sure companies like Sony are well aware of this - and given that they actually have quite big movie / music subsidiaries, it's not much of a surprise to find they'd not be supporting these sorts of features.  

• Like 1

I don't have any Miracast device besides my Win 8.1 PCs to try it. The piracy angle is pointless because there are many people like me who use DLNA to stream home photosvideos and youtube to TV (Xbox 360). I stream photos from my phone to Xbox 360 using DLNA too.

I don't care what Sony's other divisions do and I don't really have to because I won't be buying a PS4 in foreseeable future. I was only commenting on XBO which I may end up buying around Halo 5.

It is disingenuous to imply that people who use DLNA are pirates and hence it should not be implemented. Netflix, Hulu etc. all support Airplay streaming on iOS.

I know about Raspberry Pi and countless other streamer options, I just prefer a more all in one solution like Xbox 360(in my case).

People who used DLNA on the PS3 were mostly pirates, yes, you can't deny that. I'm sure there will be a way to get your photos and home videos on the PS4 though, perhaps through Sony's own PlayMemories service. Or just do it directly from your TV, pretty much every recentish TV can do that sort of stuff, no?

I certainly know I only use my XBMC for illegal content. Photos I do using Miracast or just over HDMI (it's all RAW files), home videos are streamed directly through my TV. YouTube is directly to my TV too, can control it natively (like a Chromecast) from within the YouTube app.

Do that many of you use DLNA? I feel like every time I've tried to use it it's been very buggy and streaming has been questionable. I know a lot of devices support it now, but I've never really met anyone who even knew what it was, let alone used it. It always seemed like a half baked system to me.

Oh well, good thing I already have numerous ways to watch and stream my media that don't involve using my game console.

You should try Miracast, it's good enough for photos but the framerate and quality are so unstable it's completely unusable for video.

On the PS4 front, well, I can understand why (and I think it'd be logical if Microsoft did the same). There is pretty much no service that offers legitimate video content as standard local files. PS3 Media Server and the likes were only used to display pirated content (or in a vast majority). You need to remember that Sony is also a content company, and one of the biggest. If you want to stream or watch movies/tv shows, do it through the legit channels. Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, DVD, ... Can't blame them for not supporting a feature that was only used to enable piracy.

Another tip that was given before: get a Raspberry Pi and load it up with OpenELEC. It's incredibly simple to do and it makes a much better streamer than any console. No transcoding needed, just create a regular share on your PC/NAS, add it to your XBMC library and you can stream just fine in better quality and using less resources.

I grabbed a surface pro 2 recently and have tested the miracast ability quite a bit, there can be lag with some scrolling but the video and audio streamed fine, both stayed in sync etc. I have been wrapped with this functionality and hope the xb1 has a receiver built into it.  That being said, miracasting does not a media server functionality replace.

I have to admit this has removed the PS4 from consideration for me, my ps3 currently functions as a streaming device more often than not.  I've rarely had any issues with ps3ms and the ps3's media server functionality, its worked out quite well with my home theatre setup.

For me I just don't like having so many different devices.  Same reason I ditched the Appletv.  Not sure we will be able to see it happen but the possibility of a plex or xbmx XB1 app would be perfect. 

Without MKV support, DLNA is useless. 

Best is to store your mkv files on PC or Mac and play this way:

PC ----> HDMI Cable ----> 5.1 receiver ----> HDMI Cable ----> TV

Mac users can use a paid app called Movist which allows audio passthrough or simply use VLC for Mac.

(Enable Audio passthrough in your video player) On PC, use a player like PotPlayer and tick the audio settings like this:

7G9f1uY.png

If you do not have a 5.1 receiver then simply connect your TV to PC via HDMI cable.

Now who gives a flying f*** about DLNA?

Why? Just use M2TS container instead of MKV and it works fine; and it will play in Windows without any splitters, codec packs, or third party programs.

Right ... You think most people has their PC near their TV ?

I don't

PC connected with ethernet cable to router, then router to console via wi-fi works wonderfull. Don't need or want anything else.

• Like 3

I don't

PC connected with ethernet cable to router, then router to console via wi-fi works wonderfull. Don't need or want anything else.

^^ This.. 

This is what I have been using and it works very well. 

I don't

As long as you are not re-encoding at any point to make it playable, it's ok.

If I am in your situation, I will take my laptop to my TV room and hook it up via HDMI. This way I never worry about formats compatibility and streaming bandwidth availability for 720p and above content.

To each it's own.

Best is to store your mkv files on PC or Mac and play this way:

PC ----> HDMI Cable ----> 5.1 receiver ----> HDMI Cable ----> TV

Mac users can use a paid app called Movist which allows audio passthrough or simply use VLC for Mac.

(Enable Audio passthrough in your video player) On PC, use a player like PotPlayer and tick the audio settings like this:

7G9f1uY.png

If you do not have a 5.1 receiver then simply connect your TV to PC via HDMI cable.

Now who gives a flying f*** about DLNA?

Unless you want to change your display frequency every time you play a video to match it you're still losing out on quality. The best way to play it is with XBMC, even on a Raspberry Pi. It just streams any network share perfectly, with HDMI audio passthrough AND it syncs the display refresh rate to the video for zero choppyness.

(I can't stand 24FPS/25FPS video on 60Hz monitors.)

Unless you want to change your display frequency every time you play a video to match it you're still losing out on quality. The best way to play it is with XBMC, even on a Raspberry Pi. It just streams any network share perfectly, with HDMI audio passthrough AND it syncs the display refresh rate to the video for zero choppyness.

(I can't stand 24FPS/25FPS video on 60Hz monitors.)

You are not playing on monitors. You drag the video player window from your PC/Laptop monitor to the extended display of TV.

I don't

I had a dedicated PC connected to my TV three years ago. Now I use DLNA to stream content from my server to a small set top box.

I never used DLNA on the PS3, because videos at high resolutions didnt really play well (ps3 is 802.11g after all). And now that Im moving to 1080p,  I wonder if 802.11n can hold up too.

Besides, most TVs now will come with DLNA and well eat up any video you throw at them. So I get why people will miss DLNA, but it's not a big deal.

I think its funny that some are starting to excuse the lack of the feature by dismissing those that use it.

People that don't use this feature seem to have a hard time thinking anyone would be using such things at all.

You need to remember that Sony is also a content company, and one of the biggest. If you want to stream or watch movies/tv shows, do it through the legit channels. Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, DVD, ... Can't blame them for not supporting a feature that was only used to enable piracy.

sony bluray players have MKV support. It isn't about piracy at all,because MKV is the epitome of piracy.

and ripping your movies/songs and streaming them is now piracy?

The good old days.  I consider that to be the last console of the 'Golden Age' of gaming.  The PS3 and the 360 ushered in the new era where game consoles grew into much more that just gaming, moving closer to a pc in the process.

I'm really old fashioned when it comes to my games, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the 360, and PS3 a lot, but I just recently bought a PS2, having never touched one in the past, and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to be able to pop in a game, and turn it on, not having to worry about the hard drive failing, or the system freezing and having to reboot.

I'm sorry...  

But this is worst than the "inferior" graphics on CoD or BF...

I'll take the slightly less graphical punch and everything else the One can do, over this...

I'm sorry but this right here make me question the $400 price...

USB Support?... No flash drive, external hdd, nothing...

I don't care if NOBODY listens to music via CD, a feature like that should be in there on accident alone... 

I have a Blu-Ray Drive in the box, that needs a patch to play the actual Blu-Ray movies... this reminds of the crap from the OG Xbox, where you had to buy the DVD remote and blaster for DVD's to work in the darn thing.. NOT COOL

Which system is really "Boning" people...  PlayBone (or Bone-Station)-4 or the X-Bone One?...  "Every Dog has to decide which Bone to pick with"

Yes there are things I really hate about the One (I want to swap internal HDD, and have external USB support. Want cake and eat it too).  

• Like 2

I'm sorry...  

But this is worst than the "inferior" graphics on CoD or BF...

I'll take the slightly less graphical punch and everything else the One can do, over this...

I'm sorry but this right here make me question the $400 price...

USB Support?... No flash drive, external hdd, nothing...

I don't care if NOBODY listens to music via CD, a feature like that should be in there on accident alone... 

I have a Blu-Ray Drive in the box, that needs a patch to play the actual Blu-Ray movies... this reminds of the crap from the OG Xbox, where you had to buy the DVD remote and blaster for DVD's to work in the darn thing.. NOT COOL

Which system is really "Boning" people...  PlayBone (or Bone-Station)-4 or the X-Bone One?...  "Every Dog has to decide which Bone to pick with"

Yes there are things I really hate about the One (I want to swap internal HDD, and have external USB support. Want cake and eat it too).  

Well that was 30 seconds of my life reading that I won't get back.

sony bluray players have MKV support. It isn't about piracy at all,because MKV is the epitome of piracy.

and ripping your movies/songs and streaming them is now piracy?

Piracy is a poor excuse for lack of mkv support in the first place anyway, .mp4 files which are widely supported by just about every device are also widely used in piracy. h.264/.mp4 is the current "scene" standard for pirated SD video.