PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

Well that was 30 seconds of my life reading that I won't get back.

Yeah, this reminds me of some of the responses against MS this year.

Its silly no matter which side is saying it. 

Perfectly fine to have issues and share those, just don't do it in a way that feeds the fire so to speak

I find it ironic how during the initial PS4 and Xbox One announcements everyone praised Sony for not removing features and being a system built for gamers because it focused on games more than other entertainment features. But now everyone is up in arms over this feature not being included? This can probably be added later down the road via a software update or even an app download.  It's looking like the Xbox One is the better choice if you are interested in an all in one entertainment system.

I'd rather not have to pay a monthly/yearly fee in order to access media streams though. I'm sure it's a great deal if you pay for XBL anyway, but I game solo, I don't care for the social aspect of gaming, so that's a $60/year donation in order to access content I already pay for.

I think its funny that some are starting to excuse the lack of the feature by dismissing those that use it.

People that don't use this feature seem to have a hard time thinking anyone would be using such things at all.

This is such a flame comment that I have to bring it to everyone's attention. It's amusing that you straight away assume that people are dismissing the lack of DLNA feature. Sony decided to not include it. Sucks for those who pre ordered. But if those people do not want to cancel their pre order, then people are merely suggesting ways around the problem till Sony comes to grips of the situation.

Maybe Microsoft took the initial heat on Xbox One and Sony are taking it now. I think Sony are at a huge disadvantage compared to Microsoft. 

Piracy is a poor excuse for lack of mkv support in the first place anyway, .mp4 files which are widely supported by just about every device are also widely used in piracy. h.264/.mp4 is the current "scene" standard for pirated SD video.

The difference is, since MP4 is widely used by many huge companies, MKV ends up looking less like everybodys format, and more like the format of one group. Its purely perception,but companies can use this as an excuse.

This is such a flame comment that I have to bring it to everyone's attention. It's amusing that you straight away assume that people are dismissing the lack of DLNA feature. Sony decided to not include it. Sucks for those who pre ordered. But if those people do not want to cancel their pre order, then people are merely suggesting ways around the problem till Sony comes to grips of the situation.

Maybe Microsoft took the initial heat on Xbox One and Sony are taking it now. I think Sony are at a huge disadvantage compared to Microsoft. 

Um, its not a flame comment at all.  Read this thread.  The conversation has turned to how DLNA is really not useful to have and that the people that use it are pirating the content that they are streaming to consoles anyway.

This has nothing to do with those that have no interest in the feature in the first place.

As far as suggesting ways around it, all of the suggestion amount to buying another box to do it and not use the ps4.  While that is certainly an alternative, I think most would agree that it would be preferable to use fewer devices under your tv, not more. 

Up until the talk of piracy started, the thread was fine.  People that want the feature were disappointed and those that don't could relate, but it didn't effect them one way or another.  I'm just trying to remind people that you can't just gloss over it with stuff like that.

i don't follow the console news, but what this is saying is that i can't stream my movie collection from the PC to the PS4? or specifically just other actual dedicated media servers?

example... the kids both have their xboxes hooked up with media center that reads FROM my main PC... PS4 can't do this?

i don't follow the console news, but what this is saying is that i can't stream my movie collection from the PC to the PS4? or specifically just other actual dedicated media servers?

example... the kids both have their xboxes hooked up with media center that reads FROM my main PC... PS4 can't do this?

That's correct.

Yup and many DLNA enthusiasts are unhappy because DLNA is a feature taken for granted these days.

Just to get some users past the terminology... 

DLNA is what makes 'PlayTo' features work. It is more than just one format or content type. It works for Music, Movies and Photos.

This is why you can select music or pictures or recorded video on your tablet/pc/phone and hit 'Play To' and select PS3 or Xbox 360 and the content plays on your console.

Tablet and Smartphone people use this feature quite a bit. 

With Windows 8.1, this feature has been expanded beyond just music/movies/video on your computer. You can use the feature from inside IE, and get 'Chromecast' like functionality out of any DLNA device.

(In IE11, on YouTube for example, Charms, Devices, Play - select your console and send the video to it.)

--------------

The real question is 'Why' Sony has removed all these features, DLNA, MP3, CD Audio, Media Access etc.    They have the working code that would port easily to the PS4.  Even their $50 Media Player and BluRay devices support these features.

So why is Sony removing this, and if it is a feature coming later, why would existing code/functionality from their dashboard not be available at launch on the PS4 if they can take time to port it to every BluRay player they sell?

The real question is 'Why' Sony has removed all these features, DLNA, MP3, CD Audio, Media Access etc.    They have the working code that would port easily to the PS4.  Even their $50 Media Player and BluRay devices support these features.

So why is Sony removing this, and if it is a feature coming later, why would existing code/functionality from their dashboard not be available at launch on the PS4 if they can take time to port it to every BluRay player they sell?

There was a blog on playstation uk that mentioned something about downloading the music unlimited app, so I'm guessing the actual os was only built to play games. At least at launch..

There was a blog on playstation uk that mentioned something about downloading the music unlimited app, so I'm guessing the actual os was only built to play games. At least at launch..

Its that or Sony is tying to nudge users to their streaming media services and not cater much to users that want to access local media.

I think its 50/50 at this point as to what the real reason is.  When it comes to the X1, I think the fact that it is running a Win 8 based OS helps MS support these things without much extra effort.  Its already baked into 8, so they don't need to go in and make the stuff work.  Now we just need to wait and see what features they might block or also not enable at launch.

It's a bit ironic considering all the MS hype about the cloud and how the PS4 is just a PS3+ since it doesn't embrace digital distribution and cloud features as fully.

But every appearance is that Sony dropped these things because they feel most people don't play movies, music, pictures, etc. off of local stores anymore.  Instead your music might be in the Amazon cloud drive or you listen to Pandora, your pictures might be in Facebook galleries, and your movies you might get from Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc.  In other words they are embracing the cloud approach vs. local storage and hoping you pick their particular services (Sony Unlimited) though they'll support others as well (Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, etc.)

Well that was 30 seconds of my life reading that I won't get back.

Take it however you want to take it... My $400 doesn't come from your pocket...  

It's not like I'm lying.  Wait 2weeks to launch and pull a "Oh, by the way, these are some of the things the PS4 can't do"

You don't do these kind of announcements right before launch... that is deceitful...

Am I really the only person who's never used DLNA on any device, and found the media server feature on the PS3 to be flaky at best without using PS3 Media Server?

i use DLNA between my PS3 and Synology NAS. it's flawless. no extra software required.

it absolutely blows my mind that the PS4 doesnt support it. How is it that Sony pitched the PS3 as this "all-in-one" home entertainment device but are going the complete opposite direction w/ the PS4? Even MS is doing the same thing w/ the Xbone.

• Like 2

It's a bit ironic considering all the MS hype about the cloud and how the PS4 is just a PS3+ since it doesn't embrace digital distribution and cloud features as fully.

But every appearance is that Sony dropped these things because they feel most people don't play movies, music, pictures, etc. off of local stores anymore.  Instead your music might be in the Amazon cloud drive or you listen to Pandora, your pictures might be in Facebook galleries, and your movies you might get from Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc.  In other words they are embracing the cloud approach vs. local storage and hoping you pick their particular services (Sony Unlimited) though they'll support others as well (Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, etc.)

I agree that it is ironic if that is the case.  It may turn out that MS is the ones not as committed to pushing users into their streaming services and therefore are quite happy allowing support for such local media features.  I assume that both the PS4 and X1 will have a similar lineup of apps supporting third party services like Netflix, Amazon, etc. 

Remember that Sony is a bigger company when it comes to non-gaming media services than MS is.  While MS is investing in things like Xbox Music and Video along with their new tv studio, that does not match the sheer power of Sony's media businesses across music, tv, and movies.  For Sony, that means they are probably more likely to be interested in taking some features away that make buying content or streaming access from their services more attractive.  Remember, Sony is in to make as much as they can off of entertainment with the ps4 being that hub.

So we will see how they handle stuff like this going forward.  Will they see that some consumers still want to access local media and add the features back, or will they try to spin what they currently offer as a superior method and push forward. Since I will have a ps4 (either at launch or down the line), I want those features to come back.  If they don't, it just means I have to use yet another device to do it.

Without MKV support, DLNA is useless. 

Best is to store your mkv files on PC or Mac and play this way:

PC ----> HDMI Cable ----> 5.1 receiver ----> HDMI Cable ----> TV

If you do not have a 5.1 receiver then simply connect your TV to PC via HDMI cable.

Now who gives a flying f*** about DLNA?

Why don't you just use a media server to transcode MKVs on the fly??

With the greatest respect, I know lots and lots of people who use media servers. And every single one of them uses them to dish up downloaded / pirate content. I don't know a single person who uses a media server to stream home photo's, and legally obtained content - the only people I know who do that, do so on devices like an Apple TV.

I'm sure companies like Sony are well aware of this - and given that they actually have quite big movie / music subsidiaries, it's not much of a surprise to find they'd not be supporting these sorts of features.

I am pretty sure DVDs/BDs/HDDs play a much larger role in pirated content than DLNA and yet Sony supports them.

People who used DLNA on the PS3 were mostly pirates, yes, you can't deny that. I'm sure there will be a way to get your photos and home videos on the PS4 though, perhaps through Sony's own PlayMemories service. Or just do it directly from your TV, pretty much every recentish TV can do that sort of stuff, no?

I certainly know I only use my XBMC for illegal content. Photos I do using Miracast or just over HDMI (it's all RAW files), home videos are streamed directly through my TV. YouTube is directly to my TV too, can control it natively (like a Chromecast) from within the YouTube app.

Why the **** would I upload my home photos to Sony or any other service just so that I can watch it on my TV? They don't have enough space to store my personal media (I average at about 10GB/year in just photos).

Two people in this thread told me that DLNA is only useful for piracy. That is as bad as saying 720p is as good as 1080p.

This, they could be trying to push people onto online content. Steaming things like hulu.

I have a feeling this is it. They're trying to push their own services onto people, and are needlessly eliminating features to create demand for their services. Similar to remasters and taking out PS3 BC. 

I'm sorry...  

But this is worst than the "inferior" graphics on CoD or BF...

I'll take the slightly less graphical punch and everything else the One can do, over this...

I'm sorry but this right here make me question the $400 price...

USB Support?... No flash drive, external hdd, nothing...

I don't care if NOBODY listens to music via CD, a feature like that should be in there on accident alone... 

I have a Blu-Ray Drive in the box, that needs a patch to play the actual Blu-Ray movies... this reminds of the crap from the OG Xbox, where you had to buy the DVD remote and blaster for DVD's to work in the darn thing.. NOT COOL

Which system is really "Boning" people...  PlayBone (or Bone-Station)-4 or the X-Bone One?...  "Every Dog has to decide which Bone to pick with"

Yes there are things I really hate about the One (I want to swap internal HDD, and have external USB support. Want cake and eat it too).  

Can we leave the Day One update crap out of it? Microsoft has already stated the Xbox One will require an internet connection for the initial setup of the Xbox One console. There's nothing different on either side of the fence in that regard...

Two people in this thread told me that DLNA is only useful for piracy. That is as bad as saying 720p is as good as 1080p.

Lol No. They actually meant that mkv file is only there for piracy. That is partially true because most (all?) pirated blu-ray movies and TV shows come in that format. PS3 + DLNA makes life harder to directly stream those files on TV. So you need PS3 media streamer or some re-encoder in the middle.

Or you have to mux those mkv files to m2ts or mp4

Now m2ts format is not Apple idevice friendly and mp4 takes longer to re-encode to.

Can someone confirm whether Sony will still allow playing m2ts files on PS4?

Can we leave the Day One update crap out of it? Microsoft has already stated the Xbox One will require an internet connection for the initial setup of the Xbox One console. There's nothing different on either side of the fence in that regard...

Understandable, but wasn't this rubbed into Microsoft's face the past few months.

Its not the fact that both companies have to do this, its the fact that one company at the last minute pulls a "Oh by the way".   Tell me what it can't do in advance.  not at last minute.  because I recall, half the internets was crying about having shady, to no internet connection at all.   

As far as i can tell compared to the XBMC client i have, the PS3 did some post-processing on the image to make it look sharper and better IMO and that's why i preferred it to watch SD videos on. With this news, i don't have any reason to replace the PS3 in my living room.

I hope they sort something out before i get my PS4.