PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

And yes, it is pure spin. Because over and over Microsoft was hit for seemingly innocuous things such as a day 1 update, not having a complete feature set for day 1, etc. but now Sony is having these same issues and it is perfectly fine, nothing to see here. It reminds me of Baghdad Bob (if you are old enough to remember him).

Microsoft was hit bad because they had really bad DRM policies and told us if we didn't like it we could take a hike. At least with Sony they addressed it within 24hrs and said they'd do something about it.

• Like 1

Microsoft was hit bad because they had really bad DRM policies and told us if we didn't like it we could take a hike. At least with Sony they addressed it within 24hrs and said they'd do something about it.

Where have they addressed it? There is a rumor from an unnamed dev who claims that Sony told him that they moved it up on the priority list. Is that all you need for a confirmation for something to be true?

And the DRM policies were not anywhere near as bad as the Sony/Sony fanboys claimed it would be.

They certainly had some terrible remarks that made it sound like telling people take a hike, but they were also trying to lay out the justification.

They failed at that and then changed based on our feedback. 

I also think its a little unfair to not treat MS and Sony the same since the drm stuff was a much bigger deal for MS to remove than it is for Sony to add DLNA support.  Both companies realize that when customers complain, they need to listen.

Now Sony has not confirmed the rumored updates, so at this point we can only say that Sony officially has said they are looking into it.

They certainly had some terrible remarks that made it sound like telling people take a hike, but they were also trying to lay out the justification.

the directly said "if you don't like the always online / 24hr check in, then don't bother buying it or buy a 360" in more or less similar words. how is that not telling people to take a hike?

the directly said "if you don't like the always online / 24hr check in, then don't bother buying it or buy a 360" in more or less similar words. how is that not telling people to take a hike?

Ummm, I just said the same thing you did, where is the argument?

They made terrible statements that gave the impression that they were giving customers the middle finger.  I say gave the impression because I kind of doubt that was the intention or goal for the X1. 

They did a 180, fixed the problems, and that should be a good thing.  End of story honestly. 

Once Sony confirm that they are fixing these issues now or in some future update, than end of story. 

In a little bit of irony, MS has taken the opportunity to announce that the X1 will support audio cds, mp3s and DLNA at launch. DLNA is currently going through certification. Reminds me of Sony's moment at E3 with their funny sharing video. 

Wow, that takes away a big reason to use it as a media center.  Why would you ever get it over an XB1.

Why would you use a games console as a media centre? Maybe in the original xbox days with XBMC is was a great idea, these days its a waste.

There are far better and cheaper media players that are dedicated to the purpose and "just work". No issues with licensing or codecs or finicky connections to Windows Media Centre; which only ever worked on the second Friday after a full moon, if you'd sacrificed a virgin.

Something like WDTV live are all you'll ever need to play or stream media or internet services on your TV, stress free, always work, never any issues.

The weird thing is that in other parts of the FAQ they list things that are not supported but will be in the future yet this issue just said it wasn't supported period.  Maybe it was a shift in priority for them but I have a feeling it wasn't close on the radar before the uproar.

It wasn't, according to Shu's tweets.

Why would you use a games console as a media centre? Maybe in the original xbox days with XBMC is was a great idea, these days its a waste.

There are far better and cheaper media players that are dedicated to the purpose and "just work". No issues with licensing or codecs or finicky connections to Windows Media Centre; which only ever worked on the second Friday after a full moon, if you'd sacrificed a virgin.

Something like WDTV live are all you'll ever need to play or stream media or internet services on your TV, stress free, always work, never any issues.

I think a lot people want one box that does everything,  Rather then have multipe boxes with multiple remotes around.  I hate having mutiple boxes. I just want one box that does everthing.

• Like 2

This is what I'm talking about... DRM, was reversed but people can't let it go. Sony had a DRM issue, in some of their software, they are forgiven. A $400box (although I'm getting one), can't do functions such as DLNA, but people justify by saying they don't care about it, and it should be a non issue. Sony is forgiven.

Hypocrites as their finest.

• Like 3

This is what I'm talking about... DRM, was reversed but people can't let it go. Sony had a DRM issue, in some of their software, they are forgiven. A $400box (although I'm getting one), can't do functions such as DLNA, but people justify by saying they don't care about it, and it should be a non issue. Sony is forgiven.

I feel like I've let the whole X1 DRM thing go much more than you seem to have.  I can't even remember the last time it was even mentioned before this.

I feel like I've let the whole X1 DRM thing go much more than you seem to have. I can't even remember the last time it was even mentioned before this.

Check DPyro's post on page-11.

And for the record, I embraced the "DRM" feature.

Major Nelson hits my last nerve at times, but at least he was on video saying that Microsoft would not keep your purchased games. Even if support for the game dropped. That's legally binding, considering he is an official Microsoft employee

Like I said earlier, I get off topic a TON.

Something like this makes the PS3, a better and cheaper alternative.

Wee bit of a difference in adding a simple DLNA system and reworking the entire system of how the machine loads games, adding a whole new disc authentication system, calling all the launch day developers and telling them, they will have to change the authentication system because their games now have to load from disks so they have to wait for a new SDK to redo the game load and install system.

don't you think ? 

• Like 3

OMG... you must NEVER have used a WDT Live... I did, I bought it because I figured I wanted something better and more powerful than a AppleTV, instead I got something , slow, unstable and horrible to navigate and use. 

The ONLY media player box that's worth using, is unfortunately AppleTV. whihc locks you into the Apple ecosystem, doesn't support DLNA and playTo and has limited support of services. So no, consoles are actually better media players than these. They also don't use another HDMI port and you don't have to switch hdmi ports do watch something else. 

Wow.  I was considering making the move to Sony for this generation, but that just completely removed my main function for a console.

There is absolutely no guarantee that this will happen.  Remember sony makes money off of Blue-Ray and Streaming services.  Its really easy to add DNLA. If its not included with the console its by design.

Blue Ray? Thats the guy that comes round selling dodgy dvd's out the back of his car, i doubt Sony makes any money off of him.

OMG... you must NEVER have used a WDT Live.

I liked my first WDTV live so much I bought a second one too.

Meanwhile my xbox 360, with its clunky and almost unusable menu system, is in landfill somewhere. Never looked back.

I liked my first WDTV live so much I bought a second one too.

Meanwhile my xbox 360, with its clunky and almost unusable menu system, is in landfill somewhere. Never looked back.

Yeah, the 360 didn't have the best UI for that type of use.

Although it worked perfectly fine for streaming music to it using something like Tversity or Serviio.  That's what I use for my 360 now.  I use Serviio with my ps3 as well.

The difference for me at least for the next gen is that these consoles will be closer to pcs and therefor could offer better UIs for media as well as gaming. For the X1, MS has made it clear that app development will be as easy as creating a Win 8 app for obvious reasons and that they intend to combine the app stores across all of MS' devices.  That opens the door for some very useful 3rd party options.  I'm just waiting to hear how the app store will work and how easy devs can be a part of it. 

The MediaBrowser team is already working on that and are talking with MS.  If that stuff is allowed to pass, then suddenly the X1 can be very useful in that regard.

If this was the other way round, there would probably be a 30 second clip on youtube of some Japenese guy sat in an arm chair streaming from his media server.

• Like 2

Really disappointed with all the omissions announced in the FAQ last week. No MP3 support and DLNA in particular. Tweeted this already but the PS3 really is better at being the PS4 than the PS4 is (OS wise at least). I can't believe that Shuhei Yoshida had the audacity to say he didn't know the multimedia features of XMB were so widely used. For years Sony were peddling the "media focused" console blurb and then he hits out with that? Nah. You guys are behind on schedule is the real reason.

At least most of it, if not all, can be patched in, but it's rediculous it has to come to that. Biggest mistake Sony have made concerning PS4 so far IMO.

• Like 1

Can movies still be played off external hard drives?

Well, considering the PS4 doesn't support external hard drives I would say no.

Well, considering the PS4 doesn't support external hard drives I would say no.

It's not clear though.

The blog states that the PS4 does not support an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4

It does not say that it does not support hard drives, at all.

Don't get me wrong i'm swaying towards no, but it certainly isn't clear unless i've missed something.

?I know 2 people who have cancelled their pre-orders already because they think they can't plug in an external drive to play movies.

It's not clear though.

The blog states that the PS4 does not support an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4

It does not say that it does not support hard drives, at all.

Don't get me wrong i'm swaying towards no, but it certainly isn't clear unless i've missed something.

?I know 2 people who have cancelled their pre-orders already because they think they can't plug in an external drive to play movies.

Going by Sony's records on PS4 features. if they don't have a huge press conference about the feature to tell you how awesome it is, and probably how much better it is that a nameless competitor. well it's a fair assumption to say it doesn't exist... :/