PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality
By Alexa Ray Corriea on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:51p @AlexaRayC

ps4.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

The PlayStation 4 will not support client functionality for media servers, Sony announced today in the Ultimate FAQ for the console on the PlayStation Blog.

The FAQ also confirms the Sony's next-gen console will not support DLNA devices for sharing and streaming videos and other media content from a home PC. Sony's PlayStation 3 does include DLNA support and allows users to access their PC's media from the console's dashboard.

Earlier this year, Microsoft noted that the Xbox One will not work as a Windows Media Center Extender, which would have allowed users to connect multiple devices running Windows. DLNA support, while possible on the Xbox 360, is still unconfirmed for the Xbox One.

Source: Polygon

I'm ready to cancel my pre-order, go to gamestop, and buy a PS3 + Journey + The Last of Us. I still have so many older games to get through, there's no reason to upgrade my media center with something that can't do media.

Not supporting media servers is kind of lame. Thankfully a lot of things that aren't supported are things that can be added in a patch down the road. Hopefully Sony is aggressive in getting these features out there after launch.

Not supporting media servers is kind of lame. Thankfully a lot of things that aren't supported are things that can be added in a patch down the road. Hopefully Sony is aggressive in getting these features out there after launch.

They could make us feel better by claiming that they are working to add these features at a later time, like they said for features like Youtube support.

But no, they just say it wont be supported.

This is a big deal for any of us that like to use out consoles to stream local media to.

• Like 2

Seems like an odd feature to leave out.  DLNA should be simple to implement. 

Especially considering the PS3 already supports it.

Both consoles have always been useless to me for media streaming anyway though, because they have such crappy format support.

that is actually a very horrible loss. I currently use my PS3 more as a media center than as a game device. (mostly with Netflix) but a lot of the content we watch is on my computer that we just stream over. I hope at least they will still support MP4 and AVI files via a flash drive (even though they have also announced they will not allow you to use an external Hard Drive.)

It's probably gonna be an addon via a downloaded app or something at a later date.. Sony and MS both can't be that nuts..

Though I agree with others, I find both the PS3's and 360's DLNA support to be flakey at best.

Am I really the only person who's never used DLNA on any device, and found the media server feature on the PS3 to be flaky at best without using PS3 Media Server?

I've never used DLNA either.  I also never streamed on my PS3.. I always copied to USB Stick and watched.  My buddy used to have his all setup for streaming, but it would randomly disconnect and lag out for no reason.

I have my raspberry pi setup with XBian so I just use that for media.

Am I really the only person who's never used DLNA on any device, and found the media server feature on the PS3 to be flaky at best without using PS3 Media Server?

I think you missed the whole thing, its not going to support media servers either.. so no UMS or PMS

But the assertion from the FAQ is that you wouldn't be able to use PS3 Media Server-like software with the PS4. So even if you wanted to use software that was better at handling the streaming, you couldn't.

that is actually a very horrible loss. I currently use my PS3 more as a media center than as a game device. (mostly with Netflix) but a lot of the content we watch is on my computer that we just stream over. I hope at least they will still support MP4 and AVI files via a flash drive (even though they have also announced they will not allow you to use an external Hard Drive.)

I'm starting to doubt that Sony will support playing any videos via external storage (flash drives or hard drives). If they don't support mp3 playback, why both with .mp4 or avi?

It's probably gonna be an addon via a downloaded app or something at a later date.. Sony and MS both can't be that nuts..

Though I agree with others, I find both the PS3's and 360's DLNA support to be flakey at best.

There is absolutely no guarantee that this will happen.  Remember sony makes money off of Blue-Ray and Streaming services.  Its really easy to add DNLA. If its not included with the console its by design.

There is absolutely no guarantee that this will happen.  Remember sony makes money off of Blue-Ray and Streaming services.  Its really easy to add DNLA. If its not included with the console its by design.

This, they could be trying to push people onto online content. Steaming things like hulu.

I'm starting to doubt that Sony will support playing any videos via external storage (flash drives or hard drives). If they don't support mp3 playback, why both with .mp4 or avi?

Pretty sure external hd's were mentioned in the FAQ as not being supported so I imagine this means flash drives as well.  So no video playback from external source.

I can see PS4 and X1 both dropping DLNA. Both companies want to herd users into their stupiid subscription/streaming services instead of allowing them to access their local content.