PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

We were talking about my phone :p read the thread FFS.

The post he quoted only mentioned the phone as a comparative measure of how the consoles where going to be able to do multiple things at once though. his reply with the quoted post made no logical sense as it was written to be talking about the phone. 

Either way this thread is about consoles, more specifically about the PS4 and it's lack of support of a widely supported media sharing servcie that is by standard supported by all media capable devices today (outside of Apple's little realm of "we're special and don't need to work with everyone else")

The post he quoted only mentioned the phone as a comparative measure of how the consoles where going to be able to do multiple things at once though. his reply with the quoted post made no logical sense as it was written to be talking about the phone. 

Either way this thread is about consoles, more specifically about the PS4 and it's lack of support of a widely supported media sharing servcie that is by standard supported by all media capable devices today (outside of Apple's little realm of "we're special and don't need to work with everyone else")

Let it go. You're just digging a hole and making yourself look silly now.

Because every brand new tv supports dlna?

Most do, yes, but its nice to have a single box that you can hook up to any tv and access your local media.  Plus, consoles are likely to have better app support, especially the X1, vs TV apps.

DLNA support is okish on smart tv's you have to have a samsung to get the better apps, its like the apple of the smart TV world. My LG needs a Plex media app for instance to be able to play mp4's and that, whereas samsung has one although think its user created. It would be alot better on a console in fact win8 store may have one not sure on that though which would mean X1 is ready to go

DLNA support is okish on smart tv's you have to have a samsung to get the better apps, its like the apple of the smart TV world. My LG needs a Plex media app for instance to be able to play mp4's and that, whereas samsung has one although think its user created. It would be alot better on a console in fact win8 store may have one not sure on that though which would mean X1 is ready to go

Unfortunately even the Apple of Smart TV's is... to put it bluntly, horribly unusable. at a STRETCH. I would use the built in netflix app, that's all anyone would use the smart TV function for outside of showing off to their friends when they just bought it. but if you really want to watch netflix. you would have another device for it like a console, or an Apple TV. 

Netflix and stuff works perfectly fine on my LG TV, no problems at all but i have it connected to my media server in my PC and cant play mp4's or mkv's so more of a pain to flcik it onto 2nd comp screen and load them up using vlc

Apparently, the X1 is not the only console to not support 3D BluRay playback at launch:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/13/ps4-wont-support-3d-blu-rays

I remember the story several days ago about the X1 not supporting it at launch, but I thought it was said at that time that the ps4 would support that.

It does with patch 1.5, the user guide is made for the launch firmware.

On the other hand, Sony has just confirmed to us that the PS4 will definitely come with both 3D Blu-ray playback (requires the 1.50 firmware update and then a one-time activation) and 3D gameplay (albeit a current lack of 3D titles). And while there's no 4K output for games just yet, the Japanese giant is considering adding support for 4K still images and video to the console, as mentioned in its lengthy FAQ. Not that any of this is going to deter the hardcore gamers, anyway.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/09/xbox-one-ps4-3d-blu-ray-playback/

• Like 1

how does the 1.5 patch change this statement ? 

Well technically you are right, it doesn't.  But the reality is that everyone getting a ps4 at launch is also downloading the day one patch, which includes the support.  So that's good enough for me.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

IGN is not doing their homework, not shocking though :laugh:

They're simply echoing the manual, but yes, it's not hard to add to that article 1.50 changes that.

Also the only official word from sony about 3D bluRays I've seen was a twitter reply on an article from today where they asked "no 3D BluRay" and they replied(I think it was that big boss shuhei) "no at launch". so where was the confirmation the bluRay day one patch would also support 3D ?  seems to contradict his own statement...