NSA infiltrates links to Yahoo, Google data centers worldwide

This just gets better and better

The National Security Agency has secretly broken into the main communications links that connect Yahoo and Google data centers around the world, according to documents obtained from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden and interviews with knowledgeable officials.

By tapping those links, the agency has positioned itself to collect at will from among hundreds of millions of user accounts, many of them belonging to Americans. The NSA does not keep everything it collects, but it keeps a lot.

According to a top secret accounting dated Jan. 9, 2013, NSA?s acquisitions directorate sends millions of records every day from Yahoo and Google internal networks to data warehouses at the agency?s Fort Meade headquarters. In the preceding 30 days, the report said, field collectors had processed and sent back 181,280,466 new records ? ranging from ?metadata,? which would indicate who sent or received e-mails and when, to content such as text, audio and video.

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-infiltrates-links-to-yahoo-google-data-centers-worldwide-snowden-documents-say/2013/10/30/e51d661e-4166-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

The verge has this story also:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/5046958/nsa-secretly-taps-into-google-yahoo-networks-to-collect-information

With a follow up from poltico: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/keith-alexander-nsa-report-google-yahoo-99103.html?hp=t3_3

That has rebuke from the nsa director.  That is a great non-denial denial.  

Asked about the leak, Gen. Keith Alexander, the NSA?s leader, said earlier Wednesday he was unaware of the Post?s report ? adding the NSA is ?not authorized? to access companies data centers and instead must ?go through a court process? to obtain such content.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/keith-alexander-nsa-report-google-yahoo-99103.html#ixzz2jErw3jSJ

A comment from the politco story made a great point.  "Interesting denial. Just in case you weren't paying attention, the WaPo report didn't say that the NSA had access to Google's "data centers", but rather to the fiber links *between* their data centers. The general's carefully worded denial could plausibly be taken as a confirmation of the report."

The verge has this story also:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/5046958/nsa-secretly-taps-into-google-yahoo-networks-to-collect-information

With a follow up from poltico: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/keith-alexander-nsa-report-google-yahoo-99103.html?hp=t3_3

That has rebuke from the nsa director.  That is a great non-denial denial.  

A comment from the politco story made a great point.  "Interesting denial. Just in case you weren't paying attention, the WaPo report didn't say that the NSA had access to Google's "data centers", but rather to the fiber links *between* their data centers. The general's carefully worded denial could plausibly be taken as a confirmation of the report."[/size]

Yeah, he can slip around the words all he wants but he's still a despicable person for playing us like this. It's no damn secret anymore that they are exploiting physical cables that are downlinks from datacenters they want data from. No, they don't need court approvals or anything really. They're completely rampant.

This s*** needs to stop.

Not surprised at all sadly... they should be held accountable for all of this!!

Indeed, unfortunately we've allowed our government to become far too powerful to a point where they don't even resemble a government for the people and are pretty much unstoppable. As scary as it is, there's no one in the world who can hold them accountable now, and they've already proven that they've completely destroyed any systems of checks and balances internally.

Indeed, unfortunately we've allowed our government to become far too powerful to a point where they don't even resemble a government for the people and are pretty much unstoppable. As scary as it is, there's no one in the world who can hold them accountable now, and they've already proven that they've completely destroyed any systems of checks and balances internally.

Government's have never been for the people, just the politicians that look out for themselves

With all these so called spying secrets coming out from Snowden's files, has anyone actually stopped to ask where the proof of all of it is?  Without proof, it's just some claims made by some dude...

I'm not saying it's not true, but I would like to see some actual proof of it all...

With all these so called spying secrets coming out from Snowden's files, has anyone actually stopped to ask where the proof of all of it is?  Without proof, it's just some claims made by some dude...

I'm not saying it's not true, but I would like to see some actual proof of it all...

Some dude hunted by the US for leaking classified information. Your PM wants to stop the press from reporting on his leaks because terrorists win or something. There's plenty of proof, like the software they use for example.

i don't know why the NSA is spying on google. google is always happy to sell people's data.

Why pay for something when you can get it for free without anyone knowing?

Some dude hunted by the US for leaking classified information. Your PM wants to stop the press from reporting on his leaks because terrorists win or something. There's plenty of proof, like the software they use for example.

That's not actually proof of anything other than Snowden is wanted for something and the PM is worried that the press have classified information. It's not actual hard proof of what the NSA and co have been up to.

Like I said, I'm not saying all these revelations are lies, but as an intelligent & reasoning being, I require proof before I'm convinced.

That's not actually proof of anything other than Snowden is wanted for something and the PM is worried that the press have classified information. It's not actual hard proof of what the NSA and co have been up to.

Like I said, I'm not saying all these revelations are lies, but as an intelligent & reasoning being, I require proof before I'm convinced.

The documents of some (all?) of these leaks are public AFAIK. I haven't looked to much into it, but I've seen the one where they explain how they use that tracking software of theirs. This being espionage with extremely damaging consequences for regular people and politics alike, it would be hard to find secondary sources. There would have to be additional whistle-blowers (unlikely due to the effect this would have on one's life and the lockdown Snowden triggered), spy agencies coming clean about the whole thing (won't hold my breath for that one) or "official investigations" (which would end up 99% redacted to the public).

To summarise, you have to read the leaked files that are public and make up your mind about them and/or trust (or not) the journalistic integrity of the people publishing these leaks.

Direct from an NBCNews article on this today:

"If you've got a U.S. area code, you are filtered out," said a senior U.S. official familiar with the programs ? one of which is called "MUSCULAR." That program is operated jointly with the NSA's British counterpart, the Government Communications Headquarters, according to the Post's report.

The official added that the taps do not mean that the content of phone calls or emails is routinely read.

So now the NSA has backtracked again.  Now they don't deny that this exists now they just try to justify its existence by saying this stupid line.

Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/31/21264223-nsa-british-intelligence-secretly-tapped-into-google-yahoo-cable-links-officials-say?lite

If a greedy woman who asked many men some money for foods, and etc, but she flirts with many men for money over the internet with western union, so she will buy her new house or car. I am sure that NSA can read their yahoo messenger often, right?  I believe it is cybercrime over the internet too.

If a greedy woman who asked many men some money for foods, and etc, but she flirts with many men for money over the internet with western union, so she will buy her new house or car. I am sure that NSA can read their yahoo messenger often, right?  I believe it is cybercrime over the internet too.

I highly doubt the NSA has her in their sights... They would much rather take down the little prick playing Call of Duty threatening the jerks who camped him.