In the processs of upgrading my Security Cameras : I had an OMG moment.

But you're also recording the road past your drive way, which may even over here not be a problem. but you're also, especially on the HD cams, recording your neighbours property, front door and car park, which, I suspect would be illegal over here though I haven't really checked into it, since I would need a large zoom lens to see my nearest neighbour, and I have no need for a camera out here anyway :D, but even if it wasn't directly illegal he could lodge a complaint and have it removed. 

I know right? Now if only my neighbor would sun bath in the nude in her back yard... then again everyone driving by would see her too and I don't think I have any young female neighbors.

Dash cams...

Just checked the regulations at datatilsynet(data protection, seems to be the direct translation) in Norway, and private people are allowed to have dashcams, BUT they're not allowed to publish the video from it publicly, they can use it in evidence in insurance cases. it's use as evidence in other cases must be judged based on whether it could be considered illegal surveillance or something.

and yes, you are allowed to have surveillance cameras on your private property, but you are not allowed at all to cover any public property or other peoples property. But we have much stricter data protection laws here than over there though. 

But you're also recording the road past your drive way, which may even over here not be a problem. but you're also, especially on the HD cams, recording your neighbours property, front door and car park, which, I suspect would be illegal over here though I haven't really checked into it, since I would need a large zoom lens to see my nearest neighbour, and I have no need for a camera out here anyway :D, but even if it wasn't directly illegal he could lodge a complaint and have it removed. 

You do not know if someone is recording you with his/her dashcam in the car following your ass...  you can not even tell the cam is on or not.

Plus, people usually take pictures at the restaurants with unknown people in the background... those unknown people do not complain about being in the pictures... 

So quit complaining.

Just a side note, rest rooms, locker rooms, and changing rooms are considered private areas and it is illegal to record in there regardless if they are in the domain of a public area.

That's specifically covered in thelaws here as well, even on private property you're never allowed to film in "intimate" areas or "private" areas like that. however, remember that this is a situation that would most likely come up in the case of businesses which have special laws even if they're private property. and they're not allowed to have any video surveillance without being registered and wihout proper signs, they're also not allowed to have cameras showing the entrance to restrooms. 

You do not know if someone is recording you with his/her dashcam in the car following your ass...  you can not even tell the cam is on or not.

Plus, people usually take pictures at the restaurants with unknown people in the background... those unknown people do not complain about being in the pictures... 

So quit complaining.

still kind of different to havign someone else record your driveway and door 24/7? no? either way I was just checking, not complaining, as, as I've said, this camera would be illegal in Norway (and I believe most of western/northern Europe) as it is. without physical or digital blocks of the non private areas. 

still kind of different to havign someone else record your driveway and door 24/7? no? either way I was just checking, not complaining, as, as I've said, this camera would be illegal in Norway (and I believe most of western/northern Europe) as it is. without physical or digital blocks of the non private areas. 

Then you are not in USA... It is different policy or laws between here and your area.

Just checked the regulations at datatilsynet(data protection, seems to be the direct translation) in Norway, and private people are allowed to have dashcams, BUT they're not allowed to publish the video from it publicly, they can use it in evidence in insurance cases. it's use as evidence in other cases must be judged based on whether it could be considered illegal surveillance or something.

and yes, you are allowed to have surveillance cameras on your private property, but you are not allowed at all to cover any public property or other peoples property. But we have much stricter data protection laws here than over there though. 

That seems sort of strange.  If you record on your property and it catches part of a public road, it's still for private use.  And when you have a dash cam, you're also recording a public road.  Both are basically the same concept, so I don't see why one is illegal and the other is legal.

What is the difference?  you are recording on your dash cam the license plate of the person or persons you are following, with this information the possiblity of a person finding out with that other person lives is higher than recording a person passing by.  Again it goes on personal use vs public or commercial use.

so your second statement I find highly unbelievable if the first satement is true.

Taking pictures and videos are same....   I don't see any difference ...

Even the security cams everywhere, dash cams, pen cams, glass based cams, etc...   

If people do not like that, then they will stand up to the lawyers and governments and have them taking the cams down.

The general cameras/security cameras started putting up back in the 90's... and the homeowners started putting them up afterwards...  

If you live in bad area, you can put up the camera and record the actions... then show it to the cops if you caught somebody did something to your property.

That's specifically covered in thelaws here as well, even on private property you're never allowed to film in "intimate" areas or "private" areas like that. however, remember that this is a situation that would most likely come up in the case of businesses which have special laws even if they're private property. and they're not allowed to have any video surveillance without being registered and wihout proper signs, they're also not allowed to have cameras showing the entrance to restrooms.

In the US the term isn't defined specifically by the place the video is being recorded, but that the person(s) have a "reasonable expectation of privacy"

Also to mention, if he has his setup like I have mine, they only record on motion, with a pre and post time to captures the before/after motion activation.

Also to mention, if he has his setup like I have mine, they only record on motion, with a pre and post time to captures the before/after motion activation.

Yup.. that's what mine does.   Very simple.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the difference?  you are recording on your dash cam the license plate of the person or persons you are following, with this information the possiblity of a person finding out with that other person lives is higher than recording a person passing by.  Again it goes on personal use vs public or commercial use.

so your second statement I find highly unbelievable if the first satement is true.

Well those are the laws here. but as I said there's a major difference between a stationary camera recording everything that happens at your neighbours house and a dashcam recording everything in front of your car, and again, the dashcam video isn't allowed to be published and can only be used as evidence in insurance cases. 

would still record everyone entering and leaving the neighbours house though. 

Daytime Sample Video (watch in 1080p if possible)

Can't believe that no one has mentioned this.  In all of your test videos that show your suv...you can see the license plate.  With a bit of searching one can find out a ton of info from that.  I would not post that online.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned this. In all of your test videos that show your suv...you can see the license plate. With a bit of searching one can find out a ton of info from that. I would not post that online.

So? Same in public roads that you get license plate from the car in front of you.. I am sure warwagon has nothing to hide.