Ah, HERE'S A Proper Look At The Xbox One's UI & Dashboard

The speed at which it transitions to the menu is certainly impressive and one of the strengths of consoles over PCs.

Entirely possible in Windows (since vista). Using D3D 9EX, games can act like a part of the desktop. In many recent games (Path of Exile, Dota2 etc), this option is called "Windowed fullscreen."

I've owned 3 Xbox 360's, and have played on probably 7 different TV's over a range of HDMI cables, look at text, it's always immensely jagged around curves and has hazy edges, the "A,B,Y" buttons along the bottom look like blown up 16x16 icons, the gamertag picture looks like a jagged, pixelated blown up 16x16 icon too.

Dude, you have owned so many things and you still don't know that those are pixels of your display? or is the xbox 360 suppose to "upscale" your 1080p TV to 4K TV using magic?

That makes things more interesting if they have even smoother and faster performance than what the video shows.

Yeah it looked pretty smooth to me...this might be the biggest evolution going forward into the next gen, at least in my opinion - literally seamless transitioning between gaming and everything else you do (TV, movies, Netflix, etc).

Dude, you have owned so many things and you still don't know that those are pixels of your display? or is the xbox 360 suppose to "upscale" your 1080p TV to 4K TV using magic?

Did you read what I put, on the same screen, text in Windows is so sharp, and so was text on the PS3 dashboard when I plugged my friends in. Same Screen, same cables. Those first pictures didn't come out well because the Camera couldn't focus. I took better ones.

I seem to recall the 360's media functions got majorly neutered when going to the new Dashboard. On the old blade system I feel like I remember it being a lot more useful. That was also back when they launched and you could plug in an iPod and it would just start playing away. The 360 (and the PS3 for that matter) have both lost a number of features over the years, annoyingly.

You're right though, this is just something small and insignificant that we've all gotten caught up on. I do agree with you though, dropping from the game to dashboard or another app with such smooth multitasking is much more impressive. It's really not really any different than the multitasking we've been doing since the beginning on computers, but it's nice to see a console get that ability as well.

isn't that because Apple started encrypting iPod contents?

isn't that because Apple started encrypting iPod contents?

Is it? I always thought it was a feature that got dropped due to some kind of licensing crap. I remember it being pretty easy to set up a custom soundtrack before or play music while you played, but last time I tried more recently it seemed a bit more of a pain. It's not something I really use all that much though so it never bothered me that much, I just remember it seeming like it was easier before.

Is it? I always thought it was a feature that got dropped due to some kind of licensing crap. I remember it being pretty easy to set up a custom soundtrack before or play music while you played, but last time I tried more recently it seemed a bit more of a pain. It's not something I really use all that much though so it never bothered me that much, I just remember it seeming like it was easier before.

I think it's because Apple decided to disable the file system feature of iPod's, iPod touch's never had the ability to mount them like an external drive like the originals, not sure when they stopped for the others.  It used to be really easy to grab the playlist and where the music was pre iPod touch era

At first, I didn't like the Metro look. Then I tried Windows 8, and it started to grow on me very quickly. The Xbox One dashboard is looking awesome to me now :D

Hopefully it fixes my second biggest beef about the dashboard on 360, the fact it's so blurry and low res. When I saw the PlayStation dashboard running at my friends house, my first thought was how crisp and sharp it all was. 

I hope for the same. I can't stand the stupid upscaling of everything on the current-gen consoles. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a high end TV ...