CBS Prepping How I Met Your Mother Spin-Off

Meeting the mother? Done that. Now, CBS is looking to the future with a How I Met Your Mother spin-off that focuses on a father.

CBS is talking with 20th Century Fox TV about a possible offshoot of the popular comedy, which will end this season. According to our sister site Deadline, the spin-off concept follows a new group of friends, including a young woman who?s relating the story of how she fell in love with her children?s dad.

HIMYM co-creators/executive producers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas would write and executive produce the project, tentatively called How I Met Your Father, with Up All Night creator/EP Emily Spivey.

The new show?s central characters could be introduced in the HIMYM series finale; there?s also buzz that McLaren?s Pub may be featured in the potential comedy.

http://tvline.com/2013/10/30/how-i-met-your-mother-spin-off-cbs/

Please, NO, seriously! It took nine years to tell this ridiculous story. It shouldn't take NINE years to tell how one met their spouse. 95% of the HIMYM story had NOTHING to do with the MOTHER! In fact, since we haven't even seen Ted's children for a long while, they've probably DIED of BOREDOM!!!

This is one show that does NOT need a spinoff, a sister show, etc. They should look at Friends and see how well the spinoff of that show did and just walk away.

I feel like CBS is Moss in this clip (from The IT Crowd). No one wants this show, we tell CBS that no one wants this show, and they still greenlight it and then wonder why it goes down in flames because no one wanted this show.

I agree.  I got sick of the show.  I used to love it, but come on nine seasons to tell this simple story?  The show should not have been called "How I Met Your Mother".  It should have been called "How I hooked up with all these different girls until I met your mother".

Let me tell you how I met your mother, but first let me tell you how I met Robin and hooked up with her for a year!  

I watched the show for 7 seasons.  I got sick of these minor clues and hints.

I came in here to make some snarky remark along the lines of, "let me guess, How I Met Your Father?" I didn't really think they would do such a thing... :pinch:

To be fair if they use a similar concept but with a new cast it could work, as HIMYM has become a bit stale. At the moment it's very much like Friends was towards the end, in that the characters have become parodies of themselves - everything is exaggerated and lacking in subtlety. That said, they really should aim for a shorter series that relates much more to the central concept. The problem with HIMYM is that they established early on than Robin wasn't the mother, making their relationship a dead-end; they also haven't featured the kids for a LONG time.

Please, NO, seriously! It took nine years to tell this ridiculous story. It shouldn't take NINE years to tell how one met their spouse. 95% of the HIMYM story had NOTHING to do with the MOTHER! In fact, since we haven't even seen Ted's children for a long while, they've probably DIED of BOREDOM!!!

Here's what happened to the kids :D

http://youtu.be/GvGINTSU2AI

Also to add this season is awful and it's the last season :/

I wouldn't say it's awful, it has it moments. But, it gets boring being stuck on the way to/at the wedding for sure. 

I wouldn't say it's awful, it has it moments. But, it gets boring being stuck on the way to/at the wedding for sure. 

The whole Marshall road-trip subplot is tedious, mainly because of the irritating Daphney character played by Sherri Shepherd (she was pretty annoying in 30 Rock as well). Ted's character is barely relevant anymore, despite this being the series in which he's meant to meet his future wife. Focusing on such a small period of time is really hurting the show, especially when there isn't any progress being made. It's become so over-the-top I'm at the point where I just want the series to be over so I can find out how it all ends - I'm really not enjoying it much.

• 3 weeks later...