Neowin v1 apps for Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8

Android too.  I am sure that more members use android and ios and are never going to switch to WP than use WP.

An android and ios version wouldn't be hard to do at all.. I don't have a mac so I can't do ios but I can do android.

Well yeah, it wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to make.... or you could just use any RSS reader that already exists.

From what I am reading about it, it seems to be a Neowin themed RSS feed reader/storing app. 

That's what it sounds like. Pretty funny that Microsoft is so desperate for apps from third parties they just started making them themselves :P

That's what it sounds like. Pretty funny that Microsoft is so desperate for apps from third parties they just started making them themselves :p

That may be true, but who's complaining? Not me anyway. :D

• Like 1

That's what it sounds like. Pretty funny that Microsoft is so desperate for apps from third parties they just started making them themselves :p

That's exactly what it sounds like to me. MS has a prepackaged RSS app that they load a different stream into and theme so they can help fill up their Store. Too bad it's filling it up with pointless applications.

Indeed. The best/most important thing on Neowin (at least for me) is absolutely not the news but the comments and the forums. And it's a shame those are missing from the app.

A simple webview app on Android would be more functional and takes me about 5 minutes to create and publish in the Play Store.

Make it wide and it turns into a Live tile ;)

I believe he meant the fact it has a blue background which doesn't go with his theme's colour scheme. Make the icons background transparent.

Microsoft :)

edit: Meaning, being able to add comments might make the app unsuitable for minors, they also don't allow external links to other sites, which is why nothing is linked in the story view, I hope to be able to fix this by allowing readers to load our own www version of the article.

They have been very helpful, but there are also restrictions on what we can allow for the app.

Wow, are you serious? If there is a website with comments suitable for a three year old, it's Neowin. I can't even say sh*t, FFS. :P

Hello,

Because we don't have a dev that builds Android apps for Neowin.

Release the code and in 2 days you have a port that looks better than the WP8 version :)

• 2 months later...

I've had this app since launch and the windows phone version is, quite frankly, terrible.

What would it take to authorize anybody else to build a better version?  Would you mind if I published an 'unofficial' app for your consideration?

Nas, the MS one is limited in what we can do.. if you want to build a great app for Neowin that we can endorse PM me and we can go over the details :)

I've had this app since launch and the windows phone version is, quite frankly, terrible.

What would it take to authorize anybody else to build a better version?  Would you mind if I published an 'unofficial' app for your consideration?

Installed it just now. It is not bad but as with the majority of Win8-8.1 apps i still prefer to use the actual website for reading the latest news.

If something like the images below would exist as an app for android though, than that is a complete different story.... :D

post-287862-0-61254200-1389779114.png

post-287862-0-83058500-1389779121.png