Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

8 posts in this topic

Hello.

I was one of those who tried Windows 8 early and got a Windows Media Center key for free.

Today through Dreamspark Premium I got a Windows 8.1 key.

I normally used my new Windows 8.1 key and Windows 8.1 were activated successfully and because I remembered I had a Windows Media Center into my e-mail archive folder I used it in "Add features to Windows 8".

Windows accepted the key, added Windows Media Center and rebooted.

After the reboot, Windows 8.1 got deactivated and it won't accept my genuine Windows 8.1 Pro key.

I do not wish to format my pc or re-install everything . I just want to activate my Windows 8.1.

I do not care about Windows Media Center, I just want to activate them with my genuine key.

You will have to reinstall over the current installation. I had the same issue and it seems the "free" keys are all expired even if you activated them within the required time period. That activation scenario is horribly implemented IMO as the OS says the key is good but it's not and leaves your computer in a practically non-functional state.

Will the re installation affect my current settings, programs, performance etc?

Will the re installation affect my current settings, programs, performance etc?

No, there's a way to fix the registry so it can be done as an in-place upgrade. I'm looking for the info for you right now.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName" is it I think. Change it back to "Windows 8.1 Pro" or "Windows 8 Pro".

Dont activate online. Do via phone.

Dont activate online. Do via phone.

This.

I had it do it to me, but I got it sorted via phone activation. I've also backed up my activation so I should be fine. ;)