Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows XP Problem

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a computer from a friend that I am repairing. He has an Emachines 5000, 512MB 133mhz  RAM, think a Celeron CPU, some odd gfx, 40GB HDD with Windows XP Pro. A piece of crap IMO, but his grandkids just use it, not really a downfall in any way.

Anyway, when I start up the computer, you see the XP splash, then Welcome screen then the Desktop. While it loads, the screen goes not white, but more like a grey color. CTRL + ALT + DELETE does nothing. I tried a chdsk, that found some stuff, fixed it, but that did squat.

I would of course do a safe reinstall, forget the name, but where you only touch the system files, not your personal data. But of course, he has no XP CD (previously have Windows ME) and I do not have any discs. Threw them all out a month ago.

I would just put Linux on there, but I don't know if the guy is ready for that. He's around 70. Next it will be, "This file doesn't work on this system." ...

I would just take this computer, and trash it, give him one of my old HP computers that we aren't using. It'd be better than what he has currently.

What shall I do?

Posted

Bumpy?

Posted

As old as that thing is, the HP idea is probably best.  It may be salvageable but it'll always be a piece of junk.

I assume you tried Safe Mode and it went the same way?

Posted

Isn't there a Recovery partition on the hard drive ?  You should check in Disk Management, on an external drive case.

Sounds like the hard drive is borked tho.

Posted

Drivers? 

Posted

Drivers? 

It just uses the default Windows drivers. I had this working previously, so drivers wouldn't be an issue. Heres the card:

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Video-NVD01-0-NV999-0-G7000-2/dp/B004575V0I

As old as that thing is, the HP idea is probably best.  It may be salvageable but it'll always be a piece of junk.

I assume you tried Safe Mode and it went the same way?

Safe Mode does nothing. Yeah, I think I should just trash the old thing.

Isn't there a Recovery partition on the hard drive ?  You should check in Disk Management, on an external drive case.

Sounds like the hard drive is borked tho.

Nope, I installed this myself on his computer, no recovery partition.