GNU / Linux November 2013 Desktops

desktops

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 16 November 2013 - 17:50

currently having linux mint kde installed and i am surprised how fast it is so far. i have been away from kde since years and cant remember it being that fast. :woot:

anyone knows how i can add quick-starters in the bottom taskbar (marked red in the screenshot)? sure it must be there but i have just not seen it right?

Yea KDE's improved a lot since the initial 4.0 release. It's still fairly heavy compared to the lightweights so it'll have problems on old hardware, but if your machine is even remotely up to snuff it's a great desktop.. don't much care for the lightweights with little functionality.

As far as the icons on the taskbar go, here's a copypaste from the KDE site.  One is drag and drop, one is adding widgets.

Plasma_howto-icon-panel-45.gif  

Plasma_howto-widget-panel-add-45.gif

#17 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 16 November 2013 - 18:26

Yea KDE's improved a lot since the initial 4.0 release. It's still fairly heavy compared to the lightweights so it'll have problems on old hardware, but if your machine is even remotely up to snuff it's a great desktop.. don't much care for the lightweights with little functionality.

As far as the icons on the taskbar go, here's a copypaste from the KDE site.  One is drag and drop, one is adding widgets.

Plasma_howto-icon-panel-45.gif  

Plasma_howto-widget-panel-add-45.gif

thanks this helps but only for 1 program. how do i get more than 3 launchers in the bar? if i add a 4th one will always fall out and i have no idea why.

#18 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 16 November 2013 - 19:09

thanks this helps but only for 1 program. how do i get more than 3 launchers in the bar? if i add a 4th one will always fall out and i have no idea why.

Hrmm it should be making a space for the new launcher and shrink down the size of the task manager widget in the process, that new space appears after a second or so of hovering.  It'll adjust itself as needed. 

Just as an absurd test as I didn't want to mess up a working desktop (I've OCD when it comes to that), here's a virtual machine that I just did, just dragged a bunch of random crap into the tray.  Normally I use the "icon only task manager", saves space and I prefer it to that blown up old style, but you get the idea.  It should be working.  Not doing anything fancy, just dragging and dropping.

jnys.png

#19 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Posted 16 November 2013 - 19:27

Hrmm it should be making a space for the new launcher and shrink down the size of the task manager widget in the process, that new space appears after a second or so of hovering.  It'll adjust itself as needed. 

Just as an absurd test as I didn't want to mess up a working desktop (I've OCD when it comes to that), here's a virtual machine that I just did, just dragged a bunch of random crap into the tray.  Normally I use the "icon only task manager", saves space and I prefer it to that blown up old style, but you get the idea.  It should be working.  Not doing anything fancy, just dragging and dropping.

jnys.png

excuse me. it seems me is being the stupid guy here, i have chosen the gnu icon as a test now it adds it without problem.

BUT: would you kindly give the kde-controllmodule (that which shows the memory usage) a try? i just cant drag that one in the taskbar....

Speicher – KDE-Kontrollmodul_004.png

#20 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 16 November 2013 - 23:09

I don't want to be "that guy", but could you guys take it to another thread? This one's for showing off everyone's desktop bling :p

#21 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:18

since a few hours: solydK x64

Arbeitsfl_che_1_001.jpg

heavily impressed.  the few annoyances i had with linux mint kde are gone. i cant find the hardware-drivers manager anymore but this time the opengl 2 support for my graphics card is enabled! means i can enjoy all lovely kde plasma effects (they are so nice lol).

also the system monitoring applet works now (see my screenshot). it did not work with linux mint, despite having installed the sensor modules and so on.

dolphin and kopete are amazing too.

i might keep this one for a while. :)

#22 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 21 November 2013 - 20:57

using wee chat for irc

about the only difference

4MTa3md.png

#23 yinyang_34