• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:28

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata admitted in a briefing for investors and analysts this week that the Wii U has - so far - failed as a worthy successor to the Wii. The Wii is currently outselling the Wii U, which has only managed to sell 3.9 million units to-date worldwide. Speaking during a briefing about its second quarter financial results, Iwata noted that the Wii U has only done one thing right - backwards compatibility with the Wii.

"Except for its backward compatibility with existing Wii software and accessories, we have so far failed to make propositions worthy of Wii U's position as a successor to the Wii system," Iwata said.

Iwata also said that Wii Sports Club for Wii U and Wii Fit U are now available in Japan, which should help spur sales of the console in Japan and abroad, but cautioned that "success won't come overnight."

"I remarked a while ago that it is difficult to change our prospects with just one title. Our objective for Wii U for the upcoming year-end sales season will be to dramatically change the environment surrounding Wii U with multiple key titles that can appeal to a wide range of consumers," he said.

Finally, Iwata said that key Wii U titles for the holiday this season are Super Mario 3D World (releasing November 22) Wii Party U, and Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. Nintendo will also release Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in February. High profile titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. arrive in 2014.

Source: GameSpot

http://gamepolitics....ii#.UnLZJfmnpOY

#2 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:29

Mario Kart, Zelda and a new Mario Bros 3D should have been available at launch. I gotta agree that they dropped the ball through the floor straight to the Earth's core so far.

#3 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:30

Smash Bros. has to be released before I even consider getting a Wii U.

#4 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:34

Just cut the loses and make a new system. I'm aware there are politics involved in this and yadda yadda, just make it happen.

Ditch motion/tablet/confusing controls, offer a decent online experience and spam 1st party titles at launch. Don't make it backwards compatible it will only impede progression. Don't do any stupid DRM fiasco's, don't do 'social media' integration, just make a simple system that turns on, plays games and can play games with friends at 1080P@60FPS. Don't add touch controls at all, don't add mandatory peripherals. Keep the UI simple, clean, fast and accessible.

Done. Instant Success.

Edit: Keep online free, even if it's not 'as good' (subjective) as the ms, sony online 'experience'.

#5 acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:43

I suggest to stop doing Wii U and get something like Wii Us, so it has better specs and the most important backwards compatibility. Also make the control lighter and screen bigger with better resolution.

#6 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:49

Just cut the loses and make a new system. I'm aware there are politics involved in this and yadda yadda, just make it happen.

Ditch motion/tablet/confusing controls, offer a decent online experience and spam 1st party titles at launch. Don't make it backwards compatible it will only impede progression. Don't do any stupid DRM fiasco's, don't do 'social media' integration, just make a simple system that turns on, plays games and can play games with friends at 1080P@60FPS. Don't add touch controls at all, don't add mandatory peripherals. Keep the UI simple, clean, fast and accessible.

Done. Instant Success.

Edit: Keep online free, even if it's not 'as good' (subjective) as the ms, sony online 'experience'.

So  you want  Nintendo do make an Xbox 360 system something that already exsist  on the market   and not set them selves   apart from the rest of the pack .    if they  did what you wanted them to do they  not have a system worth buying because  there be no differances between it or the other systems  and users would not buy it.  i bought  the  Wii U for  the gamepad and what it offers  as well as the whole user experiance   it is apernt from your comment you dont have   or Wii U or own one  or well have played with oen for any  good amount of time.  

And for the billionth time   Nintendo could   have  50+  Console failures and still be able to Bank roll another 50+ consoles   so this  is  not the end    and what not    

#7 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:02

So  you want  Nintendo do make an Xbox 360 system something that already exsist  on the market   and not set them selves   apart from the rest of the pack .    if they  did what you wanted them to do they  not have a system worth buying because  there be no differances between it or the other systems  and users would not buy it.  i bought  the  Wii U for  the gamepad and what it offers  as well as the whole user experiance   it is apernt from your comment you dont have   or Wii U or own one  or well have played with oen for any  good amount of time.  

And for the billionth time   Nintendo could   have  50+  Console failures and still be able to Bank roll another 50+ consoles   so this  is  not the end    and what not    

First of all, what?  Calm down and make complete sentences.  Second, not that I advocate them falling in line with Sony and MS, but your argument falls flat because they aren't selling any of their current consoles.  They have to do something different than what they're doing.

Anyone with half a brain would've seen this coming years off.  People bought Wiis, played them for a while, then let them largely collect dust.  Nobody was clamoring for a slightly upgraded Wii.

#8 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:11

They can't release a new console so soon. Does no one remember SEGA? The best they can do is offer the best experience they can via first party titles and push for more third parties.

The GamePad is pretty nice, in my opinion, as well, especially for multiplayer games, so I don't see why they should drop that. They shouldn't force it though--I like the off-TV play a lot. It'll be really nice around Christmas when the TV is going to be occupied...

#9 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:20

First of all, what?  Calm down and make complete sentences.  Second, not that I advocate them falling in line with Sony and MS, but your argument falls flat because they aren't selling any of their current consoles.  They have to do something different than what they're doing.

Anyone with half a brain would've seen this coming years off.  People bought Wiis, played them for a while, then let them largely collect dust.  Nobody was clamoring for a slightly upgraded Wii.

i dont all the Wii U a slightly upgraded  Wii   if it was it be  a faster single core with HD output that is it  but the thing is a Tri-core  with a DX10+ GPU    and 2gb of ram  so yea not  just a slight upgrade    the Wii ran single core 700mhz    with  3mb GPU  and 88mb of ram

#10 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:27

It wasn't much of an upgrade really.  Grab the Wii, beef it up a little, and we mean a little, and add a screen.  Woo.

#11 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:28

Why not just go 3rd party for console titles? I'd happily pay to have Zelda, Mario, and others on my Xbox One or PS4. They can keep doing the DS since that is working out quite well for them, but just make software and peripherals for the other consoles. Everyone Wins and Nintendo would probably end up making more money in the long run.

#12 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:29

I feel kinda sorry for them, but man, they had it coming.

They should wait 2 years, release a hardware monster, sell it cheap and take a loss on said hardware. Sell a ###### ton, and get back in the game.

#13 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:29

The Wii was a special mix that had mass casual-market appeal. The WiiU doesn't have that so much (does it even come with Wii-motes?), so their market is back to Nintendo fans and parents who buy consoles for their kids and think it's more kid-friendly than an Xbox or Playstation.

#14 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:37

Personally I'm extremely satisfied with my WiiU, great games from Nintendo and hopefully one day we'll see more RPGs for the platform too

#15 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:38

The Wii was a special mix that had mass casual-market appeal. The WiiU doesn't have that so much (does it even come with Wii-motes?), so they're market is back to Nintendo fans and parents who buy consoles for their kids and think it's more kid-friendly than an Xbox or Playstation.

You're saying that, but think of all the kids these days playing COD on XBOX 360 and PS3.