Nintendo: Wii U Has Failed as a Worthy Successor to Wii

The Wii U has many problems - expensive at launch, it has only 1gb of memory (2gb would give better performance and would result in game developers wanting to create titles for it), it has had poor games up until recently when pikmin 3 came out, there is still no mario kart, smash bros etc, those won't be out until 2014. The other problem is the massive controller, hardcore gamers don't want that, it would be better if the wii u came with the wii u pro controller instead and the gamepad was an optional extra, they could sell it for a lot less. The cpu is slower than the xbox 360 and ps3 too.

If i were nintendo i'd wait for 3yrs and release a new console that beats the ps4/xbone in terms of specs, have a controller similar to ps4 with it and have your own game titles available at launch.

It should have been called Wii 2 not Wii U, some people think the gamepad is an accessory for the wii like the wii fit.

I'd put forward to Nintendo the following:

And make a list of things that Nintendo is already doing. I hope they're listening...

The cpu is slower than the xbox 360 and ps3 too.

Is that supposed to be a negative for the Wii U? I mean, you're comparing the clock speeds of a processor developed ten years ago to a processor that was recently developed. I mean, I bought a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 system in 2004, and now I have a 3.3GHz i5 Sandy Bridge. Which chip would you choose to use?

Is that supposed to be a negative for the Wii U? I mean, you're comparing the clock speeds of a processor developed ten years ago to a processor that was recently developed. I mean, I bought a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 system in 2004, and now I have a 3.3GHz i5 Sandy Bridge. Which chip would you choose to use?

you don't understand cpu speed, clock speed means nothing! The amount of data the cpu can process is less than on the old gen consoles.

The Wii U has many problems - expensive at launch, it has only 1gb of memory (2gb would give better performance and would result in game developers wanting to create titles for it), it has had poor games up until recently when pikmin 3 came out, there is still no mario kart, smash bros etc, those won't be out until 2014. The other problem is the massive controller, hardcore gamers don't want that, it would be better if the wii u came with the wii u pro controller instead and the gamepad was an optional extra, they could sell it for a lot less. The cpu is slower than the xbox 360 and ps3 too.

If i were nintendo i'd wait for 3yrs and release a new console that beats the ps4/xbone in terms of specs, have a controller similar to ps4 with it and have your own game titles available at launch.

It should have been called Wii 2 not Wii U, some people think the gamepad is an accessory for the wii like the wii fit.

The Wii U has 2GB of RAM, but it has 1GB for the System OS/Gamepad.  Being able to access the Eshop, Miiverse, Chrome-like browser, with the game still running is impressive.  It is still a little clunky but it has been getting better.  It isn't completely seamless but Nintendo has been working on it. 

you don't understand cpu speed, clock speed means nothing! The amount of data the cpu can process is less than on the old gen consoles.

Then enlighten me. The stuff I've read said that you can't compare the CPU in the Wii U to the 360 and PS 3 and say that the Wii U is much worse because it isn't. And if clock speeds mean nothing then how come a quick Google search turns up a bunch of results of people complaining about the Wii U's lower clock speeds?

Love reading the comments about what they think Nintendo "should have done".  There's a reason you aren't CEO and business is not as easy as you make it out to be. ;)

Yea, so many people who complain about nintendo would end up running the company into the ground if they were in charge.

The Wii U is a disaster for Nintendo, they just went about it all wrong. 

The first thing they did wrong was call it a Wii U. Most consumers don't even realise that this is a brand new console which is different to the Wii. Microsoft and Sony make it plainly obvious when a they release a new console. Even calling it the Wii 2 would've been better than what they did. But they managed to make it just slip everyones mind.

Second thing.. is they built on top of a platform that had become stagnant. The Wii was a bit of an experiment when it first launched and while it was popular and sold in large quantities, the furore had faded away somewhat.

Thirdly, it's main selling point, the GamePad is a very flawed device. It's uncomfortable, the battery life is poor and the range is poor. 

And I guess lastly, most of the games use the Wii U's unique features as nothing more of a gimmicky shoe-in. Lots of games would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to use it.

Edit: Also I'm aware I've probably repeated a lot of what other people have said. But these are just my views on it. :|

That same ignorant consumer who knows little to nothing of gaming and is confused by the name 'wii u' is not going to somehow be less confused by the 3rd xbox being called the xbox 'one'.

The gamepad's comfort is fine, tbh. If you want to see something uncomfortable try playing one of sony's handhelds for an hour.

Wait, you're saying nintendo should downgrade their controller and make it like a dual shock? No thanks.

• Like 1

Marketing has f*ck all to do with system capabilities.

No. Just convincing people to buy the system.

Yea, so many people who complain about nintendo would end up running the company into the ground if they were in charge.

Who said anyone wants to take over the company? Are you 12? If someone tells you that they didn't like a movie do you turn around and say "CAN YOU MAKE A BETTER MOVIE!?! NO!?! THAN STFU!

People can have opinions about Ninty's success with the Wii U. Dear gawd. Iwata himself has declared the Wii U as a failure and it still isn't enough.

Which is a good opinion to have if you ignore the successes of the Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, and Wii... 

I'm not counting handheld because I'm not a big handheld gamer, and I think it's a small group. And the Wii was and still is a gimmicky piece of craptastic awfulness and not a serious gaming device because it's under powered garbage. I don't care about sales or other crap that people will say made these things good. Lots of people thought Hitler was doing the right thing at the time, does that mean they were right?

The N64 actually did well in Europe and America, so that's not true at all.

Sorry, poorly worded. I meant the N64 was the last good one they made.

Design Choices that I was disappointed in Wii U 

* Provide more then 32gb internal memory (deluxe model) or allow upgrading the internal memory. Down the road I will have to get an external hard drive / usb drive to install stuff. 

* Battery Life on Wii U Gamepad

Things Nintendo could change / hope they change

* Laggy OS 

* Prices for Virtual Console games higher than I'm willing to pay. (At least re-buying Virtual Console games I bought on the Wii is affordable)

* Limited Game selection

* Better 3DS / Wii U interconnectivity. 

* Separation between Wii U's store and 3ds's store 

* No Dvd playback

* No upscale / upconverting Wii Games

* Play DS games through console on tv / or through game pad (by linking 3DS physically)

Things Nintendo's fixed

* Insane time consuming, possibly brick your system, system update.

* Make several updates to lag in Operating System.

Thing's Nintendo done very well

* Great support for Wii's accessories

* Wii Backwards Compatibility

* Wii Game Pad / Interactivity / Innovation.

* Nintendo Rewards System 

The Wii U's interface / OS feels more similar / based off the the 3DS then the original Wii. 

They did say Gameboy games would be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console, but yet to have anything out.

If they started to release the older pokemon games, and support the trading / save game stuff correctly, they could just start printing money on the Wii U. 

Sony w/ the PS4 that I'm watching closely.

The feature to use the Vita similar to Wii U's game pad of streaming games (Most) to the Vita.

Using Android / iOS as a 2nd screen, and if software supported the touch / draw functionally.

I do like my Wii U. 

I'm not counting handheld because I'm not a big handheld gamer, and I think it's a small group. And the Wii was and still is a gimmicky piece of craptastic awfulness and not a serious gaming device because it's under powered garbage. I don't care about sales or other crap that people will say made these things good. Lots of people thought Hitler was doing the right thing at the time, does that mean they were right?

Everything that's wrong with internet arguments condensed into 4 sentences, nice.

• Like 2

Lots of people thought Hitler was doing the right thing at the time, does that mean they were right?

You're comparing the failure of the Wii U to Hitler? Wow.  :|

I think it's a good thing that they are publicly recognizing their failures.

I also like how you guys managed to offend the one neowin user who bought a Wii U (Page 1)

I'm not counting handheld because I'm not a big handheld gamer, and I think it's a small group.

Excluding the PS2, the DS and the Gameboy have more sales and are in more homes than any other console or handheld, ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Would you rather I use religion? Or maybe Justin Bieber. Moral majority doesnt make something right.

TIL that if you like the Wii-U, you are awful and support genocide.  Wow this generation of consoles is hardcore.

Design Choices that I was disappointed in Wii U 

* Provide more then 32gb internal memory (deluxe model) or allow upgrading the internal memory. Down the road I will have to get an external hard drive / usb drive to install stuff.  Getting a 1TB or bigger EXT HDD is not that $$$ anymore  so no issue there 

* Battery Life on Wii U Gamepad  Get a 3rd party battery  problem solved   as well as turning the gamepad screen  brightness down

* Laggy OS  So i assume you have not updated your Wii U in forever  or tunred it on so it cant be updated   to 4.0.0 cause the Os no longer Laggy  

* Prices for Virtual Console games higher than I'm willing to pay. (At least re-buying Virtual Console games I bought on the Wii is affordable)

* Limited Game selection

* Better 3DS / Wii U interconnectivity. 

* Separation between Wii U's store and 3ds's store 

* No Dvd playback    So you dont own any devices  in which  will play DVDs and ore Blu-ray  in this year 2013 

* No upscale / upconverting Wii Games

* Play DS games through console on tv / or through game pad (by linking 3DS physically)

Things Nintendo's fixed

* Insane time consuming, possibly brick your system, system update.

* Make several updates to lag in Operating System.

Thing's Nintendo done very well

* Great support for Wii's accessories

* Wii Backwards Compatibility

* Wii Game Pad / Interactivity / Innovation.

* Nintendo Rewards System 

The Wii U's interface / OS feels more similar / based off the the 3DS then the original Wii. 

They did say Gameboy games would be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console, but yet to have anything out.

If they started to release the older pokemon games, and support the trading / save game stuff correctly, they could just start printing money on the Wii U. 

Sony w/ the PS4 that I'm watching closely.

The feature to use the Vita similar to Wii U's game pad of streaming games (Most) to the Vita.

Using Android / iOS as a 2nd screen, and if software supported the touch / draw functionally.

I do like my Wii U. 

* Battery Life on Wii U Gamepad  Get a 3rd party battery  problem solved   as well as turning the gamepad screen  brightness down

* Laggy OS  So i assume you have not updated your Wii U in forever  or tunred it on so it cant be updated   to 4.0.0 cause the Os no longer Laggy  

* No Dvd playback    So you dont own any devices  in which  will play DVDs and ore Blu-ray  in this year 2013 

I do have that add-on battery, however, it adds a noticeable about of weight to the device.

I know nintendo has released an official extended battery in japan, I would like for it to come here. 

My console is up to date with 4.0.0, and noticed improvement, but there still odd extended loading times.

More noticable exiting some apps, going back to the main menu.

I've had the hulu.com app give issues as well, but in it's case I blame the app, the the Wii U's OS.

I have two dvd players, in the form of PS3's, but it has issues, suspect compatibility issues with my receiver.

There a distinct pink color (PS3's is launch 60gb, and 1st "slim" version).

Blu-Ray's play perfectly fine. I need to repair my Xbox360, since it stopped reading dvd's. 

For me, none of the above issues are deal breakers for me. I enjoy the Wii U and just waiting on more games.

Especially Monoliths "X" game in development. http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/52954/previews/monoliths-x-preview/

• 3 weeks later...

One thing for sure, with the X1 and PS4 now out, nobody's talking about the Wii U... 

I've read more news/review about the Gamestick and new white Ouya than news about the Wii....  That's just sad.