Nintendo: Wii U Has Failed as a Worthy Successor to Wii

One thing for sure, with the X1 and PS4 now out, nobody's talking about the Wii U... 

I've read more news/review about the Gamestick and new white Ouya than news about the Wii....  That's just sad.

Really? I've read a ton of great stuff about Mario 3D World. It and Zelda ALBW have 2 of the highest scores this year. DK and Mario Kart coming out at the start of next year too (Y)

Really? I've read a ton of great stuff about Mario 3D World. It and Zelda ALBW have 2 of the highest scores this year. DK and Mario Kart coming out at the start of next year too (Y)

Is that enough?  Will it help sales?

Did Nintendo do great with the black friday / cyber monday sales??

Is that enough?  Will it help sales?

Did Nintendo do great with the black friday / cyber monday sales??

It's more than X1/PS4 has. All they have is inFamous and Titanfalls + cross-gen ports.

Not sure about the black Friday sales. It took 6% of the share according to WiiUDaily. Not sure those figures really mean much since PS4 has outsold the X1 despite having half the share in comparison.

I really hope it doesnt become a case of too little too late for the Wii U.  I picked up Mario World 3d last week and it is a GREAT game.  It's exactly what was needed 6 months ago (along with a Zelda, SSBM or Mario kart).  I still hear people asking what exactly a Wii U and whats the difference between that and a Wii.  So its obvious the name and the marketing is what will continue to hurt Wii U sales regardless of the games they release.

I really hope it doesnt become a case of too little too late for the Wii U.  I picked up Mario World 3d last week and it is a GREAT game.  It's exactly what was needed 6 months ago (along with a Zelda, SSBM or Mario kart).  I still hear people asking what exactly a Wii U and whats the difference between that and a Wii.  So its obvious the name and the marketing is what will continue to hurt Wii U sales regardless of the games they release.

I hope not too. They managed to turn the 3DS around so I have faith.

I expect they'll have a great return to E3 though. Hopefully we'll see a lot of the big 1st party titles return with their first outing on the console; Super Mario U-inverse, Zelda HD etc. Once those are announced I think it will get a lot of attention and people will realise it's a new console regardless of the name/marketing. So long as the games are actually advertised :laugh:

It's more than X1/PS4 has. All they have is inFamous and Titanfalls + cross-gen ports.

Not sure about the black Friday sales. It took 6% of the share according to WiiUDaily. Not sure those figures really mean much since PS4 has outsold the X1 despite having half the share in comparison.

The xbone doesn't even have titanfall to itself, as it's a multiplatform title too.

I honestly don't see how people can remain so stupid as to not know the difference at this point. Especially if those same people aren't confused by another console being named 'one' for its third iteration.

I honestly don't see how people(most likely americans, i'd bet) can remain so stupid as to not know the difference at this point. Especially if those same people aren't confused by another console being named 'one' for its third iteration.

But, Xbox One means that it's the ONE device you need to do it all (or so MS thinks/hopes).  That does the "U" means in Wii U ? 

The xbone doesn't even have titanfall to itself, as it's a multiplatform title too.

I honestly don't see how people can remain so stupid as to not know the difference at this point. Especially if those same people aren't confused by another console being named 'one' for its third iteration.

Well, the first one is timed exclusive or a one off exclusive. Did they ever clear that up?

But, Xbox One means that it's the ONE device you need to do it all (or so MS thinks/hopes).  That does the "U" means in Wii U ? 

Originally they chose 'Wii' because it is one syllable that every language pronounces exactly the same, regardless of spelling. i.e oui for France, wee for Scotland etc etc. I don't think they ever explained the U when it was unveiled.

Edit: decided to Google it and: "Reggie said that this console was built for YOU, the hardcore gamer. In fact, the console is so centered around YOU (the hardcore gamer) they they put YOU right in the name of the console, WiiU." is apparently the reason.

I still really like the codename the Wii had, 'Revolution'. Would have liked to seen that return. Or something simple like Wii HD would have at least made the upgrade more apparent.

I think they kept the Wii brand because Wii U is essentially an extension of the Wii. It's backwards compatible and supports most all of the original Wii's accessories and interface methods.

It's meant to resemble the sound of a police car. :laugh:

On a more serious note, I think the Wii U will continue to fail as Nintendo seems to focus more on the portable market, which they always seem to do well in.

I almost think Nintendo would have done better naming it Wii 2 instead of Wii U.  Would make more sense to people as something new - an upgrade - a new generation.  That confusion aside, the games coming out now or that will come out shortly will be awesome.  Hopefully that will give it a boost.  Nintendo has weathered some consoles that were perceived to be crap in the past - hopefully they can this time as well.  A robust internet and user profile strategy would make sense though.  Not sure how it is on the Wii U, but on Wii - my virtual console games are tied to the physical console rather than to me.  That is a big fail as far as I'm concerned.

I almost think Nintendo would have done better naming it Wii 2 instead of Wii U.  Would make more sense to people as something new - an upgrade - a new generation.  That confusion aside, the games coming out now or that will come out shortly will be awesome.  Hopefully that will give it a boost.  Nintendo has weathered some consoles that were perceived to be crap in the past - hopefully they can this time as well.  A robust internet and user profile strategy would make sense though.  Not sure how it is on the Wii U, but on Wii - my virtual console games are tied to the physical console rather than to me.  That is a big fail as far as I'm concerned.

That's still the case on Wii U. They are making attempts to change it with a unifed account, starting with Wii U and 3DS balances etc.

That's one area i've kinda wondered about, nintendo network accounts and the 3ds. Specifically, how easily can they backport it from the wii u to the 3ds without breaking things(such as online games) that came before it existed?

No doubt the name is pretty poor and confusing for none gamers.

The Wii U though is not something I would have considered but the games that are Nintendo exclusive were attractive enough for me to get one.  For me Super Mario 3D World is the game of 2013.

A lot of gamers underestimate just how unenlightened non-gamers are about new systems, new games, new generations and the like.Even people who are otherwise technologically savvy can become lost in the gaming stuff.

Nintendo was the company who was widely understood, even by mums & dads wanting a new gaming system for their kids. For Nintendo to fumble that ball has cost them dearly. At least so far.

How about something like the PS Vita TV? You can use that to play Vita games on your TV.

Yeah I want the same thing but as a Wii U accessory.

I got to thinking how I wished they would release Ocarina of Time for Wii U using the new second-screen functionality Wind Waker HD has.

Then I got to thinking they could just port the 3DS remake to Wii U.

Then I got to thinking they should just make 3DS games playable on Wii U instead. :woot: