Photo

IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari or Other!

internet browsers microsoft mozilla google opera apple best of poll compare

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Browser of Choice!

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Obviously only the most common will be listed!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tomasse

tomasse

Kryptonian™

• Phone: Nokia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:24

So, i commented recently on a topic about which is my favourite browser and why.

And thought, why not open a topic in the forums to see and compare other opinions too?

So, state your favourite browser, writing also 2-3 reasons why, comparing it to another

adversary/most common/used browser today.

I'll start, just follow my lead and don't expand to much.Keep it neat and simple and no

introduction like mine is needed, just the below info and a simple click in the poll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prefer Firefox over Chrome, because it has native support to this 4 small

things, yet important to me:

-  "Master Password" providing an extra protection layer for my passwords/login info.
-  Opening/moving a tab to a new window, "Move to New Window" [kinda stupid, but i do this quite often].
-  Re-opening the last closed tab by simply pressing the wheel button of my mouse [duh! so simple yet i love it].
-  Automatically deleting all or custom selected browsing history on exit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:25

IE:

• Just a browser, I don't need all those plugins and crap
  • Fast
  • Dev tools in IE11 are pretty cool :D

#3 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:36

IE

I like the metro version on my Lenovo yoga.

smooth scrolling with touch and full screen

But why do the tabs always have to show up in a different order????

#4 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 13:53

Firefox. Prefer the awesomebar to any other search/adressbar solutions, and overall the browser just works for me.

#5 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 12 November 2013 - 13:59

Chrome. Firefox for the odd ball case where something doesn't work in Chrome. IE only for work intranet sites, since they only work in IE. (lame)

#6 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:01

IE:

• Just a browser, I don't need all those plugins and crap
  • Fast
  • Dev tools in IE11 are pretty cool :D

About the same thing here except I'm still using IE9, which, IMO, is just as good as 10 & 11 without having any extra stupid and unnecessary services running! I did vote for IE though.

Otherwise,

Although IE is set as my default browser, only because I've never changed it, I do prefer Opera 12.16 and Seamonkey, just as well. :)

So,

As you can tell, I have no real favorite browser. They all do what they're supposed to do and each does something a little better than the other, in some areas!

Wouldn't touch Chrome or Safari with a 10 foot pole! :x

Right now I'm using Iceweasel! ;)

#7 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:03

Firefox. Does everything without compromises, fast, stable and efficient, used on my desktops, tablets and one of my phones.  When I need a second browser (which is never really), I have IE11.  Chrome falls in third for me, I like the engine but can't stand the interface's lack of flexibility or its insane resource usage. I toyed with Opera off and on back when it was it's own thing, not bad but wasn't for me, but now I don't really see much point anymore.

#8 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 12 November 2013 - 14:28

I use Google Chrome and have kept it as my default for about two years now. I keep Mozilla Firefox as a backup.

Mozilla had so many add-ons in comparison to other browsers years ago, but over time Google beat them in that department. My experience with Chrome is not perfect right now since version 30 went stable. I have a few threads on Neowin about my problems with it. Mostly with it integrating your Google Web Search History into your regular History page (and it cannot be cleared, I have done it through the site multiple times but it does not work). I never signed up for it and do not want it. Another issue is that I must use Incognito Mode in order to keep the browser from remembering my browsing history. That should just be an option like in Firefox. I do not want to see previous pages I browsed in the address bar. I have keyword shortcuts to every site I browse, so it will only take me a few seconds to get back if I have to.

However, I do prefer the rendering of Webkit over Gecko. Also, and this is not a problem with the browser itself, but I do find some better extensions in Chrome these days. Also, the default look of Firefox is very ugly. Some may argue the same about Chrome, but to each their own. I do use Firefox as my primary browser on my laptop running Arch, albeit with FXChrome. :p As far as password management and whatnot, I really would not see the difference as I use RoboForm for passwords on all browsers.

If my issue with Chrome gets resolved, or if the "No History" extension gets updated and works again, I will be perfectly happy with it. I may just be using Firefox a bit more until it is resolved.

#9 monkeylove

monkeylove

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2013 - 16:29

I use Chrome because it loads faster in my machine compared to Firefox, although I've found enough add-ons in the latter to make it equivalent to the extensions I use in the former.

My concern is privacy, which is why I decided to use CoolNovo (I had problems with Chromium, Dragon, and SRWare Iron).

If more problems appear, such as unusable extensions, then I will switch to Firefox.

#10 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 20 November 2013 - 16:37

Hello,

Really you dont like a browser because of it being a browser as mostly all of them have the same feature right now.

You like its layout engine which can be: Blink (Chrome also Opera), Gecko (Firefox), Trident (IE), or Webkit (Safari).

Besides those four, there really any many other out there.

Before, anyone targeted Trident. Nowdays, most people have a (bad) obsession, of targeting Webkit when they are actually currently targeting Blink (Yes, I know some web devs that still think Chrome is on Webkit).

Personally I love Webkit but I use Trident.

#11 +LimeMaster92

LimeMaster92

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 November 2013 - 16:42

My choice would be Firefox as it allows me to customize the Ul, has great add-on support and websites always render correctly even when they release a new version. :)

#12 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Windows Phone 7

Firefox/Nightly, but IE11 is very good, too.

#13 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

IE11s a bit poorly supported on some sites (especially forums) but its the first one in a long long time I had no complaints.

#14 Grayski

Grayski

Neowinian

Posted 20 November 2013 - 16:43

I know I'll certainly be in the Minority here but I love Opera and have for some time. I did a brief stint with Chrome before returning and have never like FireFox.

I'm not entirely sure what it is about Opera that I like so much, it just feels right to me. The major thing I suppose is the speed which I *feel* is much faster than others. I also have to use IE for some things in work but Opera is my baby :)

I suppose I should add that by using Opera, I like a challenge :p

#15 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 November 2013 - 00:21

Chromium. Period.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!