Having issue installing Realtek HD 2.72 driver

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned in the title, whenever I try to launch exe and it extract fines till it tries to run Setup.exe as soon as this happens "Close Program" after troubleshooting process appear. I download from different servers and even combined package but problem persisted. Does anyone else facing ssue?

URL for drivers: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Regards

I used the one labeled "Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (ZIP file)"

Just unzip it to the desktop and choose "update drivers" from the device manager node for your audio.

• Like 2

i just updated my aunt's Vista computer to 8.1 last weekend and installed the realtek hd driver for it just fine. there has to be some underlining issue on your computer causing the installer to crash

is this a fresh install or an upgrade from a previous OS?

i just updated my aunt's Vista computer to 8.1 last weekend and installed the realtek hd driver for it just fine. there has to be some underlining issue on your computer causing the installer to crash

is this a fresh install or an upgrade from a previous OS?

Its fresh install.

I used the one labeled "Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (ZIP file)"

Just unzip it to the desktop and choose "update drivers" from the device manager node for your audio.

I tried that one as well but I didn't use Device Manager method, let me check.

i uninstall previous version and restart, after restart, install the Win7_Win8_Win81_R272.exe 192 MB (202,160,500 bytes) on my windows 7 32bit, after restart and input my user accounts password at the login screen, windows stuck at login screen loading forever, have to reset and go to safe mode to uninstall the new 2.72 driver to be able login to windows again. after that install the previous version 2.71, windows and sound work as usual like before, this new 2.72 version of driver has some issues. i had tried multiple times, even try to download from another realtek international server, and uninstall and reinstall again, it still stuck at login screen after i input my user accounts password.

i report this issues to realtek without getting any reply.

Un-installation does not worked while Eric solution worked, so I marked his answer as Best Answer. Thanks a lot Eric.

Un-installation does not worked while Eric solution worked, so I marked his answer as Best Answer. Thanks a lot Eric.

Glad it worked! I think the issue is related to the exe files that are in the driver package. I always disable the Realtek control panel in the task manager's startup tab, too. It likes to throw UAC prompts occasionally for some reason and all of the settings in it are also mirrored in the audio properties dialogs.

Glad it worked! I think the issue is related to the exe files that are in the driver package. I always disable the Realtek control panel in the task manager's startup tab, too. It likes to throw UAC prompts occasionally for some reason and all of the settings in it are also mirrored in the audio properties dialogs.

Yeah, I think this time exe installer got corrupted somehow... Hope they fix it... Again thanks for help.

I got some issues too with this flavor R272 on Windows 8.1 on my Gigabyte Motherboard. After installing new drivers I lost my Optical output I use for an external Amp. No way to get it back.
I had to uninstall and use the R270 older drivers..

Edited by Richard C.
Links removed

Just to let everyone know Realtek HD Audio Driver 2.73 out... Lets hope it fixes the issue everyone faced.

• 3 months later...

Realtek 2.73 are NOT working on sony viao, everything checks out, but sound GONE !!!!! Ive tried everything and now going to revert to earlier driver set......

• 2 months later...

At last today I finally managed to resolve this issue where Install and Uninstall of Realtek HD 2.72 (executable setup) onward drivers failing for me on Windows 8.1.

It was "Maximum Security Settings" of Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit from Microsoft, as a workaround if you switch to "Recommend Security Settings" then executable setups will work fine. It happens with EMET 4.0, EMET 4.1, EMET 4.1 update 1 and till EMET 5.0 TP3.

I filed bug on EMET 5.0 Microsoft Connect Feedback, here is its URL: https://connect.microsoft.com/emet/feedback/details/879998/realtek-hd-audio-drivers-fails-to-install-or-uninstall

Hopeful that they fix it.

Here is screenshot of what to do:

GXk2l0c.png

I only bumped this thread to add worthwhile solution for only scenario affecting me.

For others Eric solution using ZIP drivers and using Device Manager also works.