Windows 8/8.1 surges, as XP drops

It's time to move on. 8.1 is here and it's not going anywhere. Time to stop whining about change (which is something that will always happen with tech) and learn how to use it effectively. 

• Like 2

wow. how can universities really teach IT when their IT is so antiquated?  win 98/2000? wow.

the only systems that can continue are those who have systems that are OEM. that's about it, it would appear.

When I was going for my two year degree, I had a professor who refused to upgrade to Vista, or 7 and continued to teach his students Windows XP. Last I heard, he was forced by the college to upgrade after students started questioning the course. 

The guy hated me, because being an early adopter, I was one, then two generations ahead, while he is still teaching the class how to add scrap objects (which you can't do in Vista or 7) to the desktop, and how to turn off the new Start Menu that was in XP. 

Most people I talk to about April 14th 2014, think their XP machines will all of the sudden stop working on that date. I tell them no, you'll still be able to use it but you will no longer be getting any security updates from Microsoft, so you really don't want to be on the internet with that computer after that.

What i don't tell them is ZOMG you are using Windows XP i'm not even going to service your computer anymore!!!!! (as one Neowin member confessed he says to his customers) you must IMMEDIATELY UPDATE!!! I tell them you'll want to be updated by April 14th.

• Like 1

wow. how can universities really teach IT when their IT is so antiquated? win 98/2000? wow.

the only systems that can continue are those who have systems that are OEM. that's about it, it would appear.

The IT dept had up to date machines and hardware. These are lab computers with very specific pieces of software we are talking about here.

The IT dept had up to date machines and hardware. These are lab computers with very specific pieces of software we are talking about here.

:|  oh. got ya!

What i don't tell them is ZOMG you are using Windows XP i'm not even going to service your computer anymore!!!!! (as one Neowin member confessed he says to his customers) you must IMMEDIATELY UPDATE!!! I tell them you'll want to be updated by April 14th.

Do you expect all of them to update? Or just continue on using XP?