Upgrading Graphics and PSU

Hi guys

I currently have an XFX 7850 Black Edition 2GB card and a XFX 450W 80+ PSU along with an Intel i5 3570K (Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard).

In BF4, I have to tone down the game play to get it to run at an almost constant 60fps, then it stutters at times.

Anyway, looking at getting the following:

Asus R9280X-DC2-3GD5 Graphics Card Radeon R9280X 3GB

Corsair CX600 Builder Series 600 Watt ATX PS/2 Power Supply Unit 80Plus

Would they be sufficient enough to run it a lot better? Will the PSU be fine too?

I have an SSD and a 1TB 7200rpm drive in there too.

Thanks!

James

The video card is a great option from what I've seen.  Did you read the TechSpot article on BF4 benchmarks that was posted recently?  You might look at it.

Not sure what the power requirements are on the new cards.  On Newegg, a 750W Corsair is only $10 more than the 600W, actually cheaper with the rebate.  Not sure what you get in the UK.

Not seen the benchmarks -will look at them when I get in. I play at 1920x1080 res (dropped down though for BF4).

www.cclonline.com is where I am getting the bits from as they are local to me.

I suggest you leave the graphic card, as it is already top notch, and get a new PSU or SSD or more RAM. Not sure what you have, though.

Get a Corsair Power supply, maybe a TX750 to future proof yourself in case you want to go crossfire ever.

Or get a 120GB Samsung 840 pro (unless you already have an SSD

Or get up to 8GB at least if you don't have that.

The Sapphire 280X Toxic should be considered as well. But yeah, check out the benchmarks however Mindovermaster is right, your 7850 *should* be sufficient enough, especially after the Mantle patch for BF4 is released.

I suggest you leave the graphic card, as it is already top notch, and get a new PSU or SSD or more RAM. Not sure what you have, though.

Get a Corsair Power supply, maybe a TX750 to future proof yourself in case you want to go crossfire ever.

Or get a 120GB Samsung 840 pro (unless you already have an SSD

Or get up to 8GB at least if you don't have that.

nothing 'top notch' about the 7850 these days... it's pretty average now

imo i always opt for more PSU than you think you need. that's just me, though.

Here is the link for the benchmarks:

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/

They say the 7850 is the minimum if you want to run at High settings.  There are many options to choose from on that list, depending on how much you can spend.

I'm running most games at 1920x1050 now and have no problems running Ultra with my 7870.  I have not tried BF4 yet, though.  I think I might be running High for BF3, also.  I can't remember and I'm out of town right now.  I've got an i5-3570 and 16GB of RAM as well.  I'm running the Corsair 750W Modular and SSD with a 7200rpm drive as well, so very similar to what you have.

First of all do not go cheap on your PSU. It' s the one thing powering your entire system. It is very important. Secondly, Corsair do not design their own PSU's. They license them from others. The one you're looking at is a modified version of CWT's DSAII PSU. I would recommend going with XFX. Theirs are designed by Sea Sonic, who are thee best in the game when it comes to PSU's.

Cheers MindTrickz - I actually went out and got the Asus Radeon R9 280X and a 750W Corsair Modular PSU. Put it all together and no output from the card. After a lot of swearing, I took it back to the shop thinking it was a DOA, they tested it and it was fine.

They told me to update my motherboards BIOS... so I did and all is working :D

BF4 running 1920x1080 with Ultra and I am getting a min of 60fp - some parts are over 160fps! :D

3DMark2011 won't run though :(