Shots fired at LAX, airport shut down

A LONE GUNMAN armed with an assault rifle ? who federal authorities have identified as 23-year-old Paul Anthony Ciancia ? opens fire in a crowded terminal at Los Angeles International Airport, killing a TSA employee and injuring at least six others before being wounded and taken into custody.

th?id=HA.279885782240&pid=15.1&H=160&W=1

Police have surrounded Terminal 3 at Los Angeles International Airport Friday after an unknown incident prompted an evacuation of Terminal 3.

Details surrounding the incident were not immediately clear, but passengers reported being evacuated from the terminal sometime after 9 a.m. There were eyewitness reports of a shooting, but those reports were not immediately confirmed by Fox News. One witness said a person with a gun opened fire after getting through a security checkpoint.

Witness Brian Keech said he heard "about a dozen gunshots" from inside the security gate at Terminal 3.

The Los Angeles Times reports that one TSA agent was shot and the suspect was wounded.

Fire officials said they are responding to assist multiple patients with injuries and the city was placed on a tactical alert. First responders are at the scene, and a TSA agent was receiving treatment.

Bill Reiter, a writer for FoxSports.com, was at the scene and sent out a tweet: "When gunfire broke out there was a stampede people, all of us hiding under seats we didn't fit under, we burst through the door to outside."

Tory Belleci from the TV show "Mythbusters" tweeted: "Heard gun shots then everyone starting running for the door. Not sure if anyone was hurt."

The airlines that use the terminal are Allegiant Air, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit, Virgin America and Virgin Australia.

A gunman shot and killed a Transportation Security Administration worker Friday at Los Angeles International Airport, federal authorities told NBC News. At least two other people, including a second TSA employee, were wounded, they said.

The authorities told NBC News that the gunman was in custody. It was not clear whether the shooter was among the wounded.

The shooting happened at a screening station where fliers show their IDs and boarding passes, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration. The agent was shot in the leg, he said.

Federal authorities told NBC News that the shooter appeared to have a rifle or other long gun.

Witnesses and police said that the shooting happened at about 12:20 p.m. ET at Terminal 3, which serves Virgin America, among other airlines. Nick Pugh told NBC Los Angeles that he was waiting in line for security on the upper mezzanine when he heard eight to 10 shots.

source

source 2

Live feed:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Los-Angeles-Airport-LAX-Shooting-230220201.html

post-37120-0-21963200-1383325394.jpg

Saw this break on Twitter at least 30 minutes ago from the Mythbusters, Tory and Grant none the less... 

Lol USA once again trying to pretend its terrorism so theres a reason to collect data. I cant believe people fall for it. They get someone to do the crime, everyone gets scared and then people let the government control everyone.

On a serious note, I would have thought that airports would be pretty safe in terms of security against gunmen. Even in the UK there are armed police everywhere when it comes to airports.

I hope that everyone is okay, except for the perp.

It's inevitable that stuff like this happens.  

Is there any information on the perp? Motivation? (I would assume anger at the TSA for touching him/her/it/them "inappropriately" ha. )

Lol USA once again trying to pretend its terrorism so theres a reason to collect data. I cant believe people fall for it. They get someone to do the crime, everyone gets scared and then people let the government control everyone.

or we just have some wacked out people.....

On a serious note, I would have thought that airports would be pretty safe in terms of security against gunmen. Even in the UK there are armed police everywhere when it comes to airports.

they don't know if he got through security yet

I hope that everyone is okay, except for the perp.

It's inevitable that stuff like this happens.  

Is there any information on the perp? Motivation? (I would assume anger at the TSA for touching him/her/it/them "inappropriately" ha. )

Can't find any info on the suspect yet. I imagine it will be a while before any comes out.

they don't know if he got through security yet

I would assume he hadn't, as that's exactly what security is designed to prevent. It would obviously be much more serious if he had.

There is no implication that this was a terrorist attack, let alone part of a government conspiracy to control people. The reality is that there are a lot of lunatics in the US and it's easy for them to get hold of firearms. It's perfectly understandable that people object to gun restrictions but it's ridiculous to suggest that the movement to restrict guns is predicated on a massive conspiracy, especially when nobody knows what actually occurred here.

You are naive if you think that your government or other do not collect information on their people.

I read an unconfirmed report that the shooter was a disgruntled Ex-TSA agent.

Sad but I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.