37 replies to this topic

#16 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,168 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:33

^ Why not? Do you guys put sugar in it or something? O.o

Mac & Cheese should be made only one way, with actual REAL cheddar cheese sauce, made from scratch.. Personally, I also add some nice smoked pancetta, chopped and fried in a little rape seed oil and then served with some grated red leicester cheese on top and grilled till it bubbles.

Damn.  :rofl:

I too make my own homemade M&C. Even the simplest, quickest style beats the bought stuff by a mile.

Good. Real cheese isn't meant to be neon orange anyway. I always thought that was strange.

Too true. When I see cheese in TV or movies I always wonder why the fugg it is so orange. I don't think I have ever seen orange cheese here in Oz before.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,453 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:15

Mac and Cheese on a box ? really ? people can't make macaroni and just put cheese on top ? 

#18 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• 1,448 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:31

You do realize that the vast majority of cheddar cheeses are made yellow/orange by dying them?

Cheddar cheeses are naturally off-white unless the cows are pasture fed, in which the absorb beta carotene (yellow) from the plants they eat and their milk turns a pale yellow. Making this milk into cheese concentrates the color. These pasture fed cheeses fetched a premium price.

To get the deep yellow-orange color most people are used to cheesemakers long ago started adding pulverized annatto tree seeds to white curds from hay fed cows cheese look like pasture fed cheddar. pure marketing. Later synthetic dyes were used.

When I make a batch it's almost always a white cheddar, and I prefer a good 3-5 year old unmodded "farmers cheddar" because it's pure and sharp enough to bite back. Great for mac & cheese (Y)

Yeah extra sharp cheddar is best for making mac and cheese.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 14:43

I too make my own homemade M&C. Even the simplest, quickest style beats the bought stuff by a mile.

Me too. My wife says it's the best she's ever ate. I would never eat any box M&C.

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:02

I think we may need a mac and cheese recipes thread, hahaha. I love how many different ways you can make it. Never the same way twice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#21 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,751 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:05

Never the same way twice.

I say the same thing about strippers :p

#22 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,315 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:05

They will be using annatto extract which is a natural dye. It is actually worse for you then the artificial stuff. causing head banging in little kids  . I causes severe migraines in people and ibs symptoms in others.

#23 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,741 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:49

I think we may need a mac and cheese recipes thread, hahaha. I love how many different ways you can make it. Never the same way twice.

Try also taking some good quality nachos, roughly crushing them, and sprinkling on top. ;)

#24 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,473 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:51

^ I'm up for that, but only if they're the **really** HOT ones.

#25 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,597 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:00

There's a huge problem with kids growing up on what is not natural and I believe it skews their perception of what good food is and what they should like. What kids like is learned. The appreciation for good flavor and cooking sense starts with making and eating good food. I will eat Mac and Cheese every once in a while but I do not like how prominent it is in our culture.

#26 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,119 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:07

Being from a dairy state, the only true way to make Mac n Cheese is with local cheddar.

But for about $1 per box, you can't really go wrong with the boxed stuff.  You could do much worse.

As a side note, does anybody think that the "shapes" Mac n Cheese tastes different than the regular elbows?  Maybe it's just a texture thing, but I can't stand the regular elbows.

#27 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,473 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:33

We often use whole wheat rotini in our mac & cheese. The whole wheat is a healthier grain and the spiral really holds the cheese.

#28 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,168 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:22

There's a huge problem with kids growing up on what is not natural and I believe it skews their perception of what good food is and what they should like. What kids like is learned. The appreciation for good flavor and cooking sense starts with making and eating good food. I will eat Mac and Cheese every once in a while but I do not like how prominent it is in our culture.

Totally agree. If you only expose kids to salt, fat, and sugar they'll never develop a taste for anything else. Most kids hate what is good for them, but with a litter perseverance they'll end up eating their greens without too much of a fuss.

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,741 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:56

Totally agree. If you only expose kids to salt, fat, and sugar they'll never develop a taste for anything else. Most kids hate what is good for them, but with a litter perseverance they'll end up eating their greens without too much of a fuss.

Most people don't know how to cook vegetables properly anyway, and just boil them into oblivion.  Me, I only ever steam my veg.  Keeps the colours vibrant, the flavours intact and the all important slight crunch! Veg should never be mush unless you're making a puree...

#30 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:58

I avoid all Kraft Foods' products.

In Russia, they've purchased a famous cookie brand and ruined its quality by substituting sunflower oil in its cooking process with cheap palm and coconut oil derivatives.