Iphone 5s Justification

Now that the Iphone 5 is no longer offered my boss told me we should save $100 and get the 5c for new contracts.  I am opposed to this as I don't think its a business phone, but I have no argument other than it looks colorful.  How can I justify the 5s for the extra 100$ to a non technical person in the health care field?

The iPhone 5c is...heavier?

Honestly, I don't think you can. As far as I can see from the specs, the 5c should be perfectly fine for business.

The iPhone 5S's Apple A7 processor is, according to Apple, about 40% faster than the A6 processor in the 5C. The A7 is also 64-bit, meaning it can process more data in the same amount of time as the 32-bit A6

Image is everything. If your business is not an art dealership or design bureau then an iPhone 5c does not reflect seriousness.

(Y)

Tell your boss that the iPhone 5c gives you cancer. The proof is in the c in 5c, LOL.

But seriously, ask your boss if you can pay the difference.

Image is everything. If your business is not an art dealership or design bureau then an iPhone 5c does not reflect seriousness.

Agree with this! 

I think you can get decent business  phones with Android at that price.

Business people tend to go for iPhones because they simply look more professional.

iPhones as company phones also show, to me, that the company is doing well. Vein, I know but I know I'm not the only one that thinks this. Society does.

The 5c is basically a 5 in a different case so until a month ago it was totally fine as a business phone. You want the 5s just because you want the 5s. What do you do that means the 5s would be a better phone for you? The 64bit CPU? The better GPU? Finger print reader? If you want to justify spending $100 more then come up with some business value for it just like any other business purchase.

The 5c is basically a 5 in a different case so until a month ago it was totally fine as a business phone. You want the 5s just because you want the 5s. What do you do that means the 5s would be a better phone for you? The 64bit CPU? The better GPU? Finger print reader? If you want to justify spending $100 more then come up with some business value for it just like any other business purchase.

The case makes a huge difference considering this is to be used as a business phone, where looks are important for a company's image.

The case makes a huge difference considering this is to be used as a business phone, where looks are important for a company's image.

I am guessing you don't work in an office?

I am guessing you don't work in an office?

I do and have done for a long while, in different offices. I also catch the train a lot during rush hours and so many office workers have iPhones.

There really is no business justification for the 5s bar one.  The higher specification means that it take longer to become obsolete, meaning that it won't have to be replaced as soon (arguably reducing longer term CAPEX).  Not sure that is a good thing from the OP's perspective though.

However, the converse can be said about the 5c as it reduces the amount of CAPEX now.  Furthermore, because the 5c is made of plastic it is arguably more durable.  I actually would love to get a 5c as the replacement of my 4 as it's lighter than the 5c and less like jewelry.

• Like 2

I do and have done for a long while, in different offices. I also catch the train a lot during rush hours and so many office workers have iPhones.

Just because you see people with iPhones does not mean that they are their business phones they could be personal phones. My partner has an iPhone 5s as my personal mobile but her company phone is still a BB as she works in finances and almost all banks in the UK still work with BB because they have they so tightly integrated into their infrastructure and have bespoke applications for the BB platform. With the new BB platform this has made sticking with BB a bigger problem for them and I know that at least 5 of the largest banks in London are working on migrating to Android (specifially Nexus phones) over the next 36 months. Where I work we do actually have company iPhones in which I was a member of the team that was negotiating the contract with Vodafone over the summer and are in the process of upgrading all users to iPhone 5 (not 5s) as Apple were doing some excellent deals to use up their stock of the 5 before the release of the 5s. We certainly didn't get them for our image even thought we are in the creative industry we pick what is the best tool for the job against the best value. It is the same reason our company car policy is not to give everybody an Audi R8 although that would certainly look a lot better for our image.

There really is no business justification for the 5s bar one.  The higher specification means that it take longer to become obsolete, meaning that it won't have to be replaced as soon (arguably reducing longer term CAPEX).  Not sure that is a good thing from the OP's perspective though.

However, the converse can be said about the 5c as it reduces the amount of CAPEX now.  Furthermore, because the 5c is made of plastic it is arguably more durable.  I actually would love to get a 5c as the replacement of my 4 as it's lighter than the 5c and less like jewelry.

Very true. When looking at 5,000+ users that ?100 difference between the 5c and 5s becomes quite a large amount of money and as most companies only tend to look at 12 months for such expenses it needs to be written off within the current financial year. A cost reduction of ?500,000 for the year for the 5c over the 5s is going to be a huge factor in the decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Well iPhone 5s is much faster, but that's assuming you'll be using apps for work that take advantage of the speed

As for security, at least the thumbprint sensor/TouchID will encourage employees to lock their phone Immediately, rather than at a 15 minutes interval or so - encourage security

So you don't want an iPhone 5C because of it's color?

To be honest, it's a free phone being provided to you. Don't like it, buy an iPhone 5S yourself and use it.

Well iPhone 5s is much faster, but that's assuming you'll be using apps for work that take advantage of the speed

As for security, at least the thumbprint sensor/TouchID will encourage employees to lock their phone Immediately, rather than at a 15 minutes interval or so - encourage security

I don't know anyone who doesn't lock their phone before putting it down, either that or they leave it by their side which has a 2 minute interval.

If you don't want iPhone and want sleek, coming from the person who prefers Apple products I'd go with the HTC One as an alternative. That thing screams sexy!

If you don't want iPhone and want sleek, coming from the person who prefers Apple products I'd go with the HTC One as an alternative. That thing screams sexy!

Yea, but it doesn't scream "SACURITY"