• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:44

One of the many reasons why people don't particularly like Windows RT as much as Windows 8 is the inability to use X86 apps. The solution is very simple, x86 cloud emulation. Microsoft could use the cloud for Windows RT users to install and run their x86 desktop apps. There would be no malware or virus problems with doing this also.  This could help Windows RT in the long run too.

What do you think?

11_surface_rt-100014945-large.jpg

#2 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:53

MS should stop producing this grabage and separate the tablet and desktop altogether.

#3 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,368 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:54

Agreed 100%.  An azure-based "cloud apps" store would be amazing.  Azure has the backbone to do it, and MS could charge an annual subscription (or not, it's free with Surface) to run those apps in the cloud. So you could have the same apps on your Surface, phone, desktop, anything with RDP.  Install once, run everywhere (with internet access of course) 

I hope this happens someday. 

#4 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,368 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:54

MS should stop producing this grabage and separate the tablet and desktop altogether.

You're so helpful. :clap:

#5 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:10

You're so helpful. :clap:

OP asked what do you think? and I told him what I think. I did not see his asking for help. Consulatants would charge multi million dollars for the same advice which I just gave MS free.

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:08

One of the many reasons why people don't particularly like Windows RT as much as Windows 8 is the inability to use X86 apps. The solution is very simple, x86 cloud emulation. 

I'm not sure they have the ability to do that.

#7 sinis

sinis

Neowinian

• 172 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:30

no,

emulator is a bad idea.

remember OS/2 , it advertised can run Windows Apps, and what happen next was devs don't bother produce OS/2 apps at all.

What Windows RT need is Metro Version of MS Office.

MS need to show complex apps like Office is feasible on metro environment,

if they can and other Devs will follow.

and MS can finally kill the desktop .

#8 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:34

I actually think the opposite, unless RT is kept around for some kind of budget market.

The only reason not to get a full Windows 8 device is the price, and possibly battery life, compared to an RT device. As prices inevitably come down, and battery life is extended, there won't really be a need for a separate RT at all, (except if they were to merge it and WP as has been rumored).

#9 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,373 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:51

if they cared about enabling x86 desktop apps on a consumption device such as surface rt/2, then they could have just used a clovertrail/baytrail chip. they didn't, because the focus is on building the winrt ecosystem.

#10 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,142 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:54

That wouldn't be useful for a lot of programs.

Games - Too much latency

Media Players, VLC, iTunes etc - If you want to play a file you would essentially need to upload the entire file to the cloud computer so it can do the decoding. If you're playing big files that's a huge waste of bandwidth.

Anything that interacts with hardware, CPU-z for example wouldn't work since it's essentially running on remote hardware.

#11 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• 3,900 posts
  • Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:55

if they cared about enabling x86 desktop apps on a consumption device such as surface rt/2, then they could have just used a clovertrail/baytrail chip. they didn't, because the focus is on building the winrt ecosystem.

I agree but it's not just building the ecosystem, if they used a baytrail chip then what would be the point of the Surface Pro/Pro 2?

#12 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,373 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:57

I agree but it's not just building the ecosystem, if they used a baytrail chip then what would be the point of the Surface Pro/Pro 2?

speed,and power. bay trail doesn't hold a candle to a core i5

#13 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• 3,900 posts
  • Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:03

speed,and power. bay trail doesn't hold a candle to a core i5

My point was that if both are x86 based then why would you buy Surface Pro, sure a Core i5 is faster but that would be the only advantage as battery life would be about the same anyway.

#14 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,368 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:04

That wouldn't be useful for a lot of programs.

Games - Too much latency

Media Players, VLC, iTunes etc - If you want to play a file you would essentially need to upload the entire file to the cloud computer so it can do the decoding. If you're playing big files that's a huge waste of bandwidth.

Anything that interacts with hardware, CPU-z for example wouldn't work since it's essentially running on remote hardware.

Streaming apps is very effective actually, provided you have relatively decent internet (doesn't need to be that good)

Think doing AutoCAD in remote desktop.  It's not an uncommon use case scenario with Citrix or other virtualization technologies.  I would love it if MS jumped on this bandwagon. 

#15 Steve Mulcahy

Steve Mulcahy

Neowinian

• 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:09

What does Windows RT/Modern UI need?

Well, what I'd like from it would be:

-Modern UI version of Office.

-A Wacom digitizer for Surface 3. OneNote is awesome, but I'd love to be able to draw/hand write notes.

-Smartglass to have immersive mini games for Xbox one games. Like a way to mod/set up your car in Forza, have an AI driver compete in some of your career races for you. In Madden or FIFA, have a manager/coach mode where you can make trades, set training routines, simulate games that you don't want to play, but make coaching decisions.

-Improve the photo app. I want to see better photo management, think tagging/face recognition, keywords, ratings. I love how SkyDrive uploads my camera roll, I just would love something like this added in.

-Just treat the modern ui apps more maturely. Give developers what they need to desert the desktop.

Seriously, if they improve the photo app alone, I doubt that I'd need to have my pc anymore.