The CW has begun development on a series based on the 1939 pulp hero, "The Avenger"

xURzK1C.png

Created in 1939 by Paul Ernst (Note: Kenneth Robeson was a pen name used by many writers working at Street and Smith Publications), The Avenger first appeared in the pulp magazine titled Justice Inc. The story followed Richard Benson, a millionaire globetrotter, who becomes a crimefighting superhero in the wake of his wife Alicia and daughter Alice's abduction and murder. The trauma of the ordeal turn Benson's face and hair white and paralyzes the muscles in his face, giving him the ability to alter its appearance to a degree. 

The proposed show in development at The CW is reshuffling the origin of The Avenger in a significant way. Instead of following Richard Benson, the tv show will follow Alice Benson, who "in the wake of her parents? murder, discovers she possesses a superpower as a result of genetic bio-hacking which allows her to transform her appearance at will." The show, described as a "an updated Biopunk version of The Avenger [1939]", will focus on Alice's investigation of her parent's death and how she acquired her metahuman abilities. Neal Baer (Under the Dome) and Conde Nast Entertainment are developing the series, with Deric Hughes and Benjamin Raab (Warehouse 13) writing the pilot. The project is currently untitled, but rest assured Marvel fans, it probably won't be titled The Avenger. 

Perhaps the character will be able to cross over with Arrow, The CW's most watched program and the Flash television series that's also in development. 

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=89435

I don't know the comic book but it sounds interesting enough to me! A crossover with the other series would definitely be awesome.

I don't know the comic book but it sounds interesting enough to me! A crossover with the other series would definitely be awesome.

No nor me but I do like the fact CW is the go to network for Comic Book shows

I remember reading my older cousins Avenger comics as a kid, then reading the later new series in the 1970's. Pretty good, and rough, with a story similar to both Doc Savage and The Shadow. Could be very interesting, especially with a female lead.

i loved the idea until the part where it says that his face rigor allow him to shape it. I loved the idea of a stoic, almost emotion-less and methodical renegade. A psychopath version of Batman.

• Like 1

There is a school of thought that Batman is a psychopath, but one whose urges are directed in a somewhat more positive way.

He cant be because he does feel anger, guilt and empathy. Unless we're talking about Frank Miller's All Star's Batman & Robin, the boy wonder version. THAT Batman is near a psychopath. Almost written for American Psycho's Christian Bale.

A lot of fans protested but I will always love that line: I'm the goddamn Batman!

I guess it's because it's not who Batman is to say something like that. In that comic-book, he's actually proud of being Batman.

I guess it's because it's not who Batman is to say something like that. In that comic-book, he's actually proud of being Batman.

I dont think it's proudness, not exactly. In that comic Frank Miller wanted to explore how deep lust for revenge and hatred can drive the Batman persona. In that series Batman is impulsive, hateful, urgently violent. It's not proudness, it's moral superiority accompanied with sheer misanthropy.

Batman is inherently a bit cuckoo no matter which version we're talking about, but that's what makes him fun. Also makes his whole dynamic with Joker what it is.

I dont think it's proudness, not exactly. In that comic Frank Miller wanted to explore how deep lust for revenge and hatred can drive the Batman persona. In that series Batman is impulsive, hateful, urgently violent. It's not proudness, it's moral superiority accompanied with sheer misanthropy.

I have to be honest, I have yet to read it. But I've skipped through it and it looked like he was proud of it. Going to read it this week though. I've been out of the comic-book world for awhile and I'm catching up on Batman (he's my fav. comic book character/hero). It's too bad the comic-book got canceled prematurely though.

Sounds like it will be interesting. The only problem I have with shows like this crossing over with Arrow is that I'm so invested in that show and it's of such good quality that I fear these other shows ruining the universe that Arrow lives in - kind of like I feel what Agents of SHIELD has done thus far. Other than that though I think it's going to be great to have a superhero show with a female lead!

I don't really see how they can say it is based on the comic, when they get everything about it and change it.

I hope they do the female lead correctly and don't base the story around the fact that she is a women, or become a damsel in distress and being saved all the time.

I think he does but he directs that toward bringing criminals to justice.

Indeed.

However a sociopath wont feel any of those emotions.

I have to be honest, I have yet to read it. But I've skipped through it and it looked like he was proud of it. Going to read it this week though. I've been out of the comic-book world for awhile and I'm catching up on Batman (he's my fav. comic book character/hero). It's too bad the comic-book got canceled prematurely though.

Unfortunately the backslash was so strong that they canned it and with the new 52 being more mature it's unlikely that will continue. It was good while it lasted. It was, for me, a "realer" batman. Just like in his The Dark Knight Return's graphic novel where we see a broken, aged, emotionally tired and cynic vigilante, full of guilt and regret. I can perfectly see the all-star Miller's Batman being the young version of TDKR Miller's one. Of course you would be constantly thinking of your own death and full of regret if your entire life the only emotion you could feel is anger.

Unfortunately the backslash was so strong that they canned it and with the new 52 being more mature it's unlikely that will continue. It was good while it lasted. It was, for me, a "realer" batman. Just like in his The Dark Knight Return's graphic novel where we see a broken, aged, emotionally tired and cynic vigilante, full of guilt and regret. I can perfectly see the all-star Miller's Batman being the young version of TDKR Miller's one. Of course you would be constantly thinking of your own death and full of regret if your entire life the only emotion you could feel is anger.

To be honest, I'd much rather see a more traditional Batman as well compared to how he's written in All Star. But it's an interesting version of Batman and that version could definitely be a younger version of the Batman in The Dark Knight Returns.