iPad Air is awesome

Yeah, the iPad Air looks really nice. It's really the first version that I have seriously considered getting.

If I were to buy one, I'd put a case on it, immediately running the "Air" aspect of it.

My wife upgraded from the iPad 3 to the Air, she loves it.

I'm debating if I want to upgrade from the iPad Mini to the new version or the Air since the whole reason I got the Mini was due to it's size and the Air is now smaller.

What is this fragmentation you speak of?

post-44573-0-67869500-1383536165.png

I know it's from last year (couldn't be bothered to find a later one :p)

post-44573-0-89288500-1383536279.jpg

I think these two charts speak volumes of the problem.

Freedom to change the default apps, don't like them? don't use them! don't like the default keyboard? install another one. Don't like using Chrome? install another browser (Apple allows rival browsers but they must use Safari for rendering). Need more storage? install a SD card (if the tablet supports it). Hell you can change the launcher if you want. If your happy with how iOS is and have no problem with using it how Apple wants you too, then more power to you. Personally I like being able to make it my tablet and customise it how I see fit :happy:

EDIT: But that freedom comes at a price. Due to Android's open nature and ability to run on such a wide variety of hardware it is poorly optimised (compared to iOS) and needs much beefier hardware to run smooth (and even then it doesn't). iOS on the other hand is coded for a specific hardware set and optimised to run as effectually as possible. Probably not the best analogy but I like to think of iOS as a console while Android is a PC. The PC might be more powerful and have better specs, but the console with it "outdated" specs can keep up and sometimes surpass the PC because it is better optimised with minimal overhead. I'm sure people will poke holes in that analogy but hope someone gets what I'm trying to say...

Eh, some freedom are what caused many of the security holes over the years, don't you think?  :s

I'm not saying anything against the SD Card, or the different browsers. I'm normally the "it ain't about who did it first, it's about who did it right". Which is why many of us on iOS don't really care about customization.  :shiftyninja:

Space? We have our Media from iTunes + iCloud, it's practically too easy. Browsers? Specifying Chrome or Safari, they're best suited for native web design on mobile platforms.

My developer ego is getting ahead of me. I respect Android, just don't like how it's being developed.

Why because I had the size wrong? Ok 9.4"

It's not the error you made in the Air's size that he's laughing at. He's laughing at the thought of someone thinking that an Apple product, in their own opinion, is the best. You know, because it's easier to laugh at someone then try to explain why they automatically dislike something with an Apple logo on it, or anything else that doesn't run Windows.  

Eh, some freedom are what caused many of the security holes over the years, don't you think?  :s

I'm not saying anything against the SD Card, or the different browsers. I'm normally the "it ain't about who did it first, it's about who did it right". Which is why many of us on iOS don't really care about customization.  :shiftyninja:

Space? We have our Media from iTunes + iCloud, it's practically too easy. Browsers? Specifying Chrome or Safari, they're best suited for native web design on mobile platforms.

My developer ego is getting ahead of me. I respect Android, just don't like how it's being developed.

To a degree that freedom has caused alot of Android's problems, I'll give you that. However, it's more todo how it is developed then how customisable it is. Android is too chaotic and it pays the price for it.

I can understand that, if it works well why change it right? I can respect that.

For me the cloud is not the answer. However, as I live in a country where you only get tiny usage allowances (but pay a fortune for them) and get charged like a wounded bull for going over those allowances, I tend to avoid it while I can. That isn't to say I don't use the cloud or appreciate it, as I do, just don't want to rely on it too heavily on a mobile device due to said reasons. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to downplay iOS/iPad. If you like it and it suits your needs then that is great (Y) I'm just saying why I don't like it as much and why I personally prefer Android.

snip

No doubt, it always depends on how we want to use something and what our limits are.

As I work on learning C and Obj-C, I hope to maybe one day work on Android apps when fragmentation becomes less of a problem.

I can never really tell what Android I'd actually wanna use, though I'd probably go straight for the Nexus.  :laugh: The first and last time I've ever had an Android device was a Sidekick 4G, and upgrade was impossible, nor could I get a good ROM.

Did they manage to fix the wifi under OSX? that was quite a deal breaker for me

Yep with its MIMO support, the wifi is vastly improved. As far as the openness of Android, I can see that because I had a Galaxy Tab for a short while and a Nexus 4 and 7. I liked how customizable they were and thought the hardware was impressive. I just thought the quality of apps was poor compared to iOS. While still pretty much closed, I found iOS 7 to be a game changer as well as the iPhone 5s and Air. I also have all my apps back and iTunes Match songs. I just think for ME it's the best full size tablet out right now.

Guess I don't understand the issue?

The issue is a big one, it's a security nightmare. If for example an exploit is found in Android, then it's luck of the draw if it gets fixed. Sometimes Google releases a security fix (but it's upto the discretion of the OEM to test and release it for their device(s)), or maybe it's repaired in a newer release (once again upto the discretion of the OEM to release the updated software). OEMs release new hardware so fast these days that more often then not they only update existing devices a few times and abandon them, forcing you to buy new hardware to get the new software. Leaving alot of vulnerable devices still on the market. Then there is the developer problem, you don't just make an "Android app" you need to target a version of it as each version has different APIs, capabilities etc. With so many versions out there, which do you target? I know the obvious answer is the most popular one but still leaves a large untapped number of potential customers. It's a big problem and another reason why iOS is favoured.