• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 SlayerS_BoxeR

SlayerS_BoxeR

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:29

which phone would you buy?

assuming the price difference is around 100 (g2 is more expensive)

well i know in terms of specs, g2 has a slightly higher spec, but i hate the fact that majority of the vendors release their phones every 6 months (including LG) that g2 will be the same, but i like the UI both SW and HW

i'm talking about this when i have to sell the phone in the future (the price tremendously lowers down) while nexus releases every year

but i kind of dislike the fact how nexus has an internal battery, but support how you can upgrade asap and simplified

nexus5 is supposed to come tomorrow, and if i send it back, i will get a refund

anyways, whats your personal opinion what would you buy?

my purpose is calling/txt msg/sns msging/checking emails not much of multimedia or facebooking lol

dont use the phone much, but if i pick out what i use the most would be msging and making calls :)

#2 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:36

Nexus 5; the fact that updates are released by Google and not the by LG makes this phone much better. Also price and vanilla Android.

#3 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:42

I would personally go for the Nexus, I've owned a few Samsung phones and got sick of waiting for updates or phones not getting updates even though they were less than a year old. You'll get updates within weeks with the Nexus and you'll continue to get them for almost two years. Vanilla android too of course.

#4 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:44

I think you gotta play with them both to decide. There's no better option for your case since nothing you do requires anything special.

Moved to Android

#5 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:51

If you are fine with stale versions of Android then only go for G2. The G2 will probably not get Android 5.0. It might even stay on 4.4 forever, while Nexus 5 will surely get 5.

#6 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:56

I'd get the Nexus 5, but I like having the plethora of custom roms built from source with updated binaries available to choose from. Unfortunately for me, Verizon sucks and refuses to allow Google the freedom to update the phones without going through them first so they don't come to Verizon anymore. I'm actually going to be getting an LG G2 probably in the next couple days. I'll get by without the day 1 Android updates thanks to CyanogenMod officially supporting the phone. No more LG UI to deal with and moderately quick updates.

#7 OP SlayerS_BoxeR

SlayerS_BoxeR

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:57

I think you gotta play with them both to decide. There's no better option for your case since nothing you do requires anything special.

Moved to Android

what would you personally buy? if you were about to purchase out of the two?

#8 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:03

Me, Nexus 5 baby! I have a Nexus 4 and already jumping over the Nexus 5. :)

The LG seems too big to me. Doesn't seem like much but it just does to me.

Everyone that checked out the phone (LG) said it was a good hardware device but the software ruins it. So since i'm more of a AOSP guy anyways i'd still get the Nexus unless of-course I needed Verizon's coverage but I do my best to avoid anything not GSM :p.

#9 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:12

Nexus 5 without question. That goes for most phone comparisons that involve the N5 too.

#10 OP SlayerS_BoxeR

SlayerS_BoxeR

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:16

Nexus 5 without question. That goes for most phone comparisons that involve the N5 too.

thx for the reply.

may i know why you would go w n5 specifically?

#11 OP SlayerS_BoxeR

SlayerS_BoxeR

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:17

If you are fine with stale versions of Android then only go for G2. The G2 will probably not get Android 5.0. It might even stay on 4.4 forever, while Nexus 5 will surely get 5.

u know anything about what the diff. btw android 5 and 4.4 would be? other than UI sided? any major difference?

#12 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:23

thx for the reply.

may i know why you would go w n5 specifically?

The 2 main points would be

-Half the price of any comparable specification phone on the market today, you just can't beat it for the price, it's impossible.

-Latest stock Android version and will be updated better than any other OEM on the market today guaranteeing updates to the phone, while others stop support 6-9 months later.

#13 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:41

Nexus 5; the fact that updates are released by Google and not the by LG makes this phone much better. Also price and vanilla Android.

This is the main reason I would go with the Nexus 5. Updates are a huge deal.

#14 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 04 November 2013 - 18:04

If you are not concerned about signing a contract or a person who roots  your phone, I would  recommend the G2.  Has a better camera and better battery life.  When the G2 gets KitKat, then its going to be almost the same phone.  Of course if you root, then you can install the latest OS anytime.  (No KK yet)

So again, if you dont want to root are are worried about hte price and OTA updates, go with the N5.  Otherwise, the G2 is a solid phone.

#15 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 04 November 2013 - 18:08

Nexus 5. I prefer vanilla Android over whatever LG, Samsung, HTC et al. use to 'improve' the experience.