• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 OP +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:08

As soon as I put in an nvidia card in any system it always had a BSoD problem (no matter what drivers or hardware config).

#17 :: Lyon ::

:: Lyon ::

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:13

just curious - how have you not had 'luck' w/ nvidia cards?

I'm wondering the same thing too. I've always been using NVIDIA card for like 15 years (since GeForce MX era) and I've never had problems or complaints

#18 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:16

So I'm planning on upgrading my video card soon as my current one is kinda hurting.

I currently have a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, I'm looking to upgrade to one of the R9's (the 280X) and was wondering if this is a good card for the money? http://www.tigerdire...3334&CatId=7387  keep in mind I am playing BF4 with this thing. lol

I have the 280x and bf4 plays great on it on ultra :)

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:17

R9 series has heat issues, so I would avoid those cards. What's your price range for your graphic card is the really question.

I have the sapphire dual-x 280x and it runs very cool. I haven't even seen it go much above 60 degrees when playing bf4, and idles around 32 on my machine. Those dual-fan coolers do a great job. it actually runs slightly cooler than my old 6950.

I did have one annoying issue with the card though, there was some annoying 2d flickering when it changed 2d clocks, but I was able to fix it with a vbios update from sapphire: http://forums.amd.co...MVIEWTMP=Linear (there's a link on page 4 of that thread).

AMD also said they are looking into fixing it on the driver level, so perhaps a future driver update can fix it without needing to update the vbios. Aside from that the card has been excellent so far.

At first I was looking into the nvidia gtx 770, but it has very similar performance, costs more, and has a full gig less of VRAM so I couldn't bring myself to get it over the 280x. Either card should be fine for bf4 though.

#20 OP +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:28

I haven't got the flickering issue *yet*  so dunno :s