Beating a dead horse (again)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 03 November 2013 - 14:35

Hi,

OK here I go sounding like a noob again (I know, what's new huh?) Anyway. I have used several tools recommended here, mostly some sysinternals apps, to monitor Norton 360 during game play. With the system I custom built and configured with all of your help there is no reason I can't play a game, even something like Skyrim, in all it's full glory. Well that's true but every now and then I get these long hiccups. Like I used to get when large textures were loading on a platter drive. Now I have all my games and OS on SSDs and quite good ones.

After running the monitors I found a single point of reference causing some HUGE spike in CPU cycles during these "hiccups" in my games, Norton 360! Now even though during game play I turn on what Norton considers game mode, suspending auto-protect and turning on silent mode during gaming, the program still spikes like crazy every so often.

Well as you may have read, and read, and read, I am planning to switch security suites. That said I have 3 options I am looking at. The full COMMODO Internet Security (free), Microsoft Security Essentials w/COMMODO Firewall (free) and Eset Smart Security. The reason I am looking at Eset is I got a limited time deal on the program. I can get it for 75% off a 2 year subscription for a limited time because I did some beta work for them. I have heard from many gamers that Eset is the best, most secure and least intrusive of all the paid solutions.

So the question is with the deal I can get on Eset should I go for it or use some other solution.

Thanks,

#2 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 03 November 2013 - 14:46

i'd go for eset, but you don't need the security suite if your any tech savy... i went a year without any antivirus and encountered no problems...

#3 Neu B

Neu B

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 November 2013 - 14:49

If you are not planning on going to any shady sites, MSE is sufficient.

#4 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 03 November 2013 - 15:02

if i were you, i would uninstall the Norton 360 suite, test if the hiccups still happen. If it does then something is borked in that configuration. If it doesn't, then yeah Norton 360 as gone full retarded but i must say it's weird because you can configure it to exclude process or folders so it must be scanning something not ordinary during gameplay (even on "game mode"). Did you even searched Symantec forums or asked support for this issue?

also i would test other AV (full suite or just av), even a trial, to see it your system is more responsive. This days i would not recommend MSE; in the past yes but this days it's not 100% reliable, unless you are very careful with your browsing, email, messenger habits (external devices is more difficult because you can infect your system without even noticing).

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 November 2013 - 00:58

I'd go with Eset too. They make good software. I am biased against Norton because I've never had anything but problems with them.

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:35

but you don't need the security suite if your any tech savy...

There is a little thing called Zero day vulnerabilities / Drive by downloads. Where you can think you are the smartest person in the room and then you visit a site reading the contents and WHAM all the while you are getting nuked from orbit.

At a very least I would sandbox the browsing with sandboxie.

#7 mduren2445

mduren2445

Neowinian

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:53

at the minimum go with mse , just for the peace of mind but if you want a choice

1 eset

2 comodo

3 avast

4 mse 

#8 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:09

There is a little thing called Zero day vulnerabilities / Drive by downloads. Where you can think you are the smartest person in the room and then you visit a site reading the contents and WHAM all the while you are getting nuked from orbit.

At a very least I would sandbox the browsing with sandboxie.

I don't think I'm the smartest person in my room right now and all that's in here is my cat :p

ironically i only got a virus once in my 30 something years and actually had an antivirus installed at the time.  it was very handy though cause a lot of my customers got it soon after and it made it easy to fix :)

meow :p

#9 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:16

I don't think I'm the smartest person in my room right now and all that's in here is my cat :p

ironically i only got a virus once in my 30 something years and actually had an antivirus installed at the time.  it was very handy though cause a lot of my customers got it soon after and it made it easy to fix :)

meow :p

Yeah, well I've never gotten a virus in any computer I solely use, yet I still run an AV, no reason to not run one as long as it's not Norton or McAfee

#10 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:21

Don't want virus? Use a Mac. It doesn't get any windows virus.