internet explorer 11 ie11

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 November 2013 - 16:36

So, I have had some debate with developers on Neowin in the news comments about how poorly many sites work in IE11 and why. From a laymen's and pragmatic point of view, I find it incredibly hard to believe that Microsoft is doing everything right with their browser given that so many sites simply do not function or require an obscene amount of troubleshooting to get working. People I have chatted with tell me that developers are still writing code for specific versions of IE. While this may make sense in the past where, as I understood it at the time, it was pretty much necessary, it just doesn't fly with me that even now so many high profile developers are doing this and very clearly breaking their sites for what is a modern browser, not an old, obsolete one.

Instead of going on and on ranting, I would like to create this thread to perhaps shed some light with specific examples and hear reasons why these sites aren't working.

For instance, the brand new AMD.com site does not work with IE11.

amd_screen.png

Is someone going to tell me that their developers are really writing code specifically for IE10 or 9 when 11 is out in consumer hands?

I don't think I have to mention how retarded it is that Neowin still doesn't work right with replies. (I understand it's a larger IPB issue or whatever but it should work and it's somebodies fault that it doesn't).

I'm haven't even mentioning here other small quirks that just irritate me. Like how slow and choppy it is moving tabs around from one IE window to another. Or sometimes you have to move your cursor off the "new tab" button then back to get it to register your click. Or when you're closing out multiple tabs, the behavior should be to not automatically readjust the tab width until you've moved your cursor off the tabs.

Anyway, I hope the goal of this thread hasn't been overshadowed by grief. I would like to know what's going on here and who we should all be pi**ed at.

#2 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:39

I guess with IE11 Microsoft doesn't care about compatibility anymore because sometimes not even compatibility view works. 

#3 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:43

Here is just a few at the moment

My bank website is having issues saying javascript is disabled -thanks Microsoft.

Certain things in Neowin don't work like copy and paste. When I highlight text and click on the font the text becomes unhighlighted making it not possible to enlarge or change the font. Emoticons go to the place where you want them to go

Gmail takes unusually long to load

#4 OP +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:44

Right, so let's say I'm having a problem with a site because supposedly it is using code specific to a previous version of IE. I would think setting it to compatibility mode would get the site to render properly using compatible code but more often than not, quite literally, the site will complain that you are now using an old browser and need to upgrade. Seriously, f**k you, whoever is responsible for this cluster.

Here is just a few at the moment

My bank website is having issues saying javascript is disabled -thanks Microsoft.

Certain things in Neowin don't work like copy and paste. When I highlight text and click on the font the text becomes unhighlighted making it not possible to enlarge or change the font. Emoticons go to the place where you want them to go

Gmail takes unusually long to load

That reminds me about my bank site as well. It works for the most part but the formatting of the table that shows recent transactions is all messed up. Compatibility mode breaks the site completely.

#5 Cocoliso

Cocoliso

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:05

Looks like it is AMD.com fault, they have a bunch JS errors on IE11 mode that I think are ######ing with the slider.

They are also using webforms probably because the cms is adobe business catalyst but come on!! do people still use that ######?!....

Anyway a quick look at the homepage source code clearly shows that the site is a mess with all sort of legacy code in there and did I mention they are using webforms :laugh:

#6 OP +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:08

Looks like it is AMD.com fault, they have a bunch JS errors on IE11 mode that I think are ****ing with the slider.

They are also using webforms probably because the cms is adobe business catalyst but come on!! do people still use that ****?!....

Anyway a quick look at the homepage source code clearly shows that the site is a mess with all sort of legacy code in there and did I mention they are using webforms :laugh:

Thank you for your input that's exactly what I'm looking for - some freakin' answers!

I still am a little confused though. Why does Chrome display the site just fine? Is IE just not as resilient as other browsers?

#7 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:13

Thank you for your input that's exactly what I'm looking for - some freakin' answers!

I still am a little confused though. Why does Chrome display the site just fine? Is IE just not as resilient as other browsers?

yet, I get the opposite at times, I get Chrome choke on JS errors that IE doesn't choke on...

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:13

the problem is the way the legacy code detects the agent script of IE 11 (aka just that it's IE then loads all the element breaking legacy code to display even though it can't)

#9 OP +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:19

So are we basically getting at the conclusion that developers right now are largely uneducated for the new generation of web? I mean they may as well be people in their 30s who haven't bothered to keep up on learning how web is changing. It would be like me, who learned HTML[1] years ago, try to make a new site for AMD without using any streamlined methods available today.

Am I wrong here?

I'm thinking if this is what the state of web development is now, I may relearn and go more in depth to developing to fill this void.

#10 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:22

So are we basically getting at the conclusion that developers right now are largely uneducated for the new generation of web? I mean they may as well be people in their 30s who haven't bothered to keep up on learning how web is changing. It would be like me, who learned HTML[1] years ago, try to make a new site for AMD without using any streamlined methods available today.

Am I wrong here?

I'm thinking if this is what the state of web developing is now, I may relearn and go more in depth to developing to fill this void.

it's more web devs are just being lazy/stubbern not wanting to learn the correct methods that are accepted as standards

#11 +DonC

DonC

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:42

To address the part about Google Mail taking a long time to load - this is a known issue. Firefox is a little bit quicker but the only browser that it works fast in is Chrome.

If you're going to make a judgement about IE's speed then it's best to avoid Google products as it's in Google's interest to promote their own browser.

#12 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:48

To address the part about Google Mail taking a long time to load - this is a known issue. Firefox is a little bit quicker but the only browser that it works fast in is Chrome.

If you're going to make a judgement about IE's speed then it's best to avoid Google products as it's in Google's interest to promote their own browser.

Gmail loaded quickly in IE10, now it loads very slowly in IE11, therefore it is in fact an issue with IE11. It is not just on one Windows 8.1 pc, but two. Gmail loads perfectly fast and fine in IE10 in Windows 7 also.

#13 jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:48

Google Maps sucks in IE11. I get constant redraw issues, or it just fails to load while panning the map. So frustrating.

#14 OP +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:51

Gmail loaded quickly in IE10, now it loads very slowly in IE11, therefore it is in fact an issue with IE11. It is not just on one Windows 8.1 pc, but two. Gmail loads perfectly fast and fine in IE10 in Windows 7 also.

It's situations just like this that cause me confusion. It just doesn't make sense. The argument I hear in cases like this are that Google would be using code that looks for a specific version of IE but are we now going to assume Google has retarded developers or is it something with IE that makes it so hard to work between versions?

#15 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 04 November 2013 - 20:53

That's because the code that breaks the website in IE isn't send to you when you're using Chrome. UAS spoofing has been a bad idea for a while.