• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:32

because

Well if you don't have access the router, ipconfig /all from machines from each company should tell us if your different segments or just same one, etc.

You don't have access to the router why?  You don't know login, don't know the IP?  You should be able to console into it and get the config.  Did you try just default username and password?

don't know the login AND the IP to it. :) why? because i don't know (and i'm pretty sure no one does in this client :/) who's the owner of that router: the ISP's, the client...or else I'll just plugin a console cable and recover the router buy resenting the credentials, but i can't since i don't know who's the owner of that.

#17 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 36

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:36

Why would you need to know the ip? Don't you know how to figure it out without consoling into it? It would take me less than 5 min if I didn't have access to my laptop.

#18 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:44

honestly, no; i don't work with Cisco so no, i don't know. And until i figure out what to do with that router, i'm not gonna touch it.

(but i don't mind learning new things so... :shiftyninja: )

#19 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 36

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:50

It isn't anything relating to cisco. It relates to everything network. A simple network tool to ping the network would suffice, you can easily narrow down the network. Generally routers will respond to ping on the inside network, computers will not if the firewall is enable....at least not by default. Even if the computers did respond it would be fairly easy to tell what is a computer and what isn't. There are plenty of mapping tools that will tell you what the device is that responds, that would take considerably longer.

It really is more troubleshooting and mapping a network out than cisco or any brand related thing. My laptop has a lot of goodies on it to do network inventory, scans, as well as other troubleshooting tools.

#20 xpablo

xpablo

XPablo

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:30

Wow, reading this and shaking my head, when I had my IT Business, first thing I did was take control of customers network appliances anything i couldn't get into was replaced by something I could.

Also I never went on forums asking for advice. a professional should know what his client needs or requires, if not get out of the biz.

and I'm nowhere near having the expertise of Budman, enjoy reading his answers to people's networking issues.

anyhow I shut my biz down because too much competition and I got a job offer that paid more than I was making in business.

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:03

"don't know the login AND the IP to it. :) why? because i don't know (and i'm pretty sure no one does in this client"

Um as sc302 was getting at - its quite easy to deduce this stuff.. for starters from any client that you can ipconfig from you can see what the gateway IP is, this is going to be the IP address you can access the cisco device at.

As to console into it - yeah this is again 101 networking stuff. How do you support clients and not know basic cisco stuff? Not talking how to enable bgp with access lists or anything.. just basic console in and show run.

Anyhoo -- just want to help, not here to judge your skill sets.. So if you can post what you can, say an ipconfig /all from clients in the 2 different networks we can start to get some data to work with.

#22 trek

trek

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2013 - 19:43

console into the 1803 and the login is probably cisco/cisco or cisco/blank :p

ena
sh run

for us so we can see the config...