Tech issues solved added in tech forums

A few updates

• Mark Solved removed for the topic starter
  • Label changed and linked to explain what it is

Additionally, for the tenth time, post counts are easily accessed by hovering over the posters name.

Thanks for the update.  I agree also that Tech Supported is a lot better than Best Answers.

The whole point of Neowin was to help each other out with Tech issues..and have a bit of a laugh 

Really? Because the amount of Real World News/Political arguments here absolutely dwarfs the amount of tech-related support and discussion posts.

Equally we should do what a few want because they are more vocal in public?

There are always some who resist change because they feel it affects their status or standing on Neowin because of post count :(

Neowin was never about post count or that certain members are more important or better than others because of x, y or z. 

The whole point of Neowin was to help each other out with Tech issues..and have a bit of a laugh 

now its become the wrong way around...and im determined to change that 

I have implemented this change..If people want to blame anyone blame me...

...I've been here 13 years and have seen staff and members come and go, I think by now I have a good overall view of the situation, you may not agree or understand the changes, but trust me I'm trying to make things better for everyone not just the few

...why not go with it and see if it helps before shooting it down in flames, you never know it might just help ;)

I never said that you should change it back because of people who don't like it.

I just feel that this change won't really do much for what you guys want and it seems like there are better ways to go about doing it. For starters is the issue that it only counts in a little more than 1/3 of the forums we have on noewin. Believe me when I say I'm all for improved post qualty. I usually don't post unless I feel it will add something to the discussion.

My second issue is that the change wasn't announced before hand. Just dropped on us and we're told this is how it's gonna be so suck it up. It would be preferred if you guys gave us a few days or even a week to talk about it in advance.

Maybe even make a preview forum for it for subscribers like you guys have done in the past for other changes so people can actually see how it works. 

That way no one would be waking up today wondering what's going on.

If you do decide to disable (not show) peoples support who have 0, can you also hide mine? I have no idea of what topic I was selected best answer for, and to be honest I would rather have nothing than a 1 next to my name.

Really? Because the amount of Real World News/Political arguments here absolutely dwarfs the amount of tech-related support and discussion posts.

Yep i know that...Im not bashing non tech forums...I just don't want them to become the be all and end all...

....they were added at the request of members to unwind and have some fun, Now with the amount of daily reports and constant trolling and bickering is that really still the case or have we lost focus on what made Neowin great.

I've lost count of the amount of well-respected tech people that have left the community because of the none tech side. That's not right either?

Yeah, I think the majority of us are offering our opinion and if we argue a little hard for one side or another, it's because we have a passionate community that actually cares. I don't think there's many of us who are going to pack up and leave, but the condescending tone and repeated demeaning from staff members in this thread is the biggest issues. You'll learn that when you run a company, every customer/client/member matters. Stop acting like a few of us are being whiny brats because we have an opposing opinion and instead be glad that you have people that care enough to cause this thread to explode so much.

This IS a privately owned site. Regardless of what any of us say or want, the final decision is of course the Administrator's regardless of if it's liked. We understand that but at least let people have an opinion too without calling them whiners or acting like their the few black sheep on the site that disagree.

Either way, I've said my piece and wasted the last hour or so reading this thread. :laugh: I've got a hockey game to go to now.

Yep i know that...Im not bashing non tech forums...I just don't want them to become the be all and end all...

....they were added at the request of members to unwind and have some fun, Now with the amount of daily reports and constant trolling and bickering is that really still the case or have we lost focus on what made Neowin great.

I've lost count of the amount of well-respected tech people that have left the community because of the none tech side. That's not right either?

See, that I can respect. I don't feel Neowin has necessarily "gone downhill" in the past as much as the fact that the News sections are typically far behind most of these new big name tech blogs and thus attract fewer readers and the forums have always felt like they were a smaller more private community than a world renowned tech support forum. I can respect wanting to clean it up a little and catch back up with other sites and get back to the basics. I think there's one thing we can all agree on, and that's the fact that we all want to see the community grow and thrive.

I use several other forums that have a zero-tolerance ban on all Political/Religious discussion and comments and tbh though its censorship it certainly results in an overall nicer community.

I use several other forums that have a zero-tolerance ban on all Political/Religious discussion and comments and tbh though its censorship it certainly results in an overall nicer community.

As owner of the site I never visit the Real World Issues forum, and I wouldn't be sorry to see it go either.

• Like 3

My second issue is that the change wasn't announced before hand. Just dropped on us and we're told this is how it's gonna be so suck it up. It would be preferred if you guys gave us a few days or even a week to talk about it in advance.

This is one of those times where we have to lead on this issue...it's our job to make the community better for everyone.

If we asked for opinions first everyone would would give one (which is cool). How do we decide whose opinion should count, who should we ignore, who opinion is genuine etc etc

We are never going to please everyone, we are trying to do whats best for everyone staff and members, some will agree some won't... 

As owner of the site I never visit the Real World Issues forum, and I wouldn't be sorry to see it go either.

Me either, I just figured Neowin wanted the traffic more than a mature environment.  :pinch:

• Like 1

Moaning?   So if people voice their opinion that is contrary to others they are moaning?  So responses are to be limited to being,  "sweet, I agree with you".

Nope opinions as always are welcome on Neowin, i respect everyone opinion and listen to them all.

Your skipping over all the replies in this thread that say yeah this is a better way, good for getting rid of post count, good to see the focus back on the tech side and we don't care about post count were glad its been removed.

Members have expressed for and against...

..we are already tweaking the way it works based on everyone feedback and bending over backwards to accommodate those who don't like the change. If we had said tough deal with it or leave then i could understand the hostility, were not trying to mess anyone about her, its simply a refocus on the tech side of the community and away from the threads that appear on a frequent basis that add nothing to the forums and in fact bring down the maturity level and have become overly violent/sexuallized or just plain wierd. There are places for that sure but do we really want it on Neowin?

Members/people need to remember, they are using the Neowin for free under their terms, so the folks running Neowin can do whatever they'd like with changing things on it. Its like Facebook, you use Facebook for free and they change the site whether you like the changes or not.

Its like getting free donuts and coffee, why complain?

This should be good. I rarely post, read the forums mostly but not much into posts. Regardless I always found it unnecessary, but there are people who judged others by their post count which I found ridiculous.

Yeah unlike Facebook we don't sell your personal info to advertisers and what-not, give us some credit :p

This is true..

I just wanted to speak out on how I felt about the changes.. It seemed like some of the people in charge just shrugged it off, and one directly explained it to me and wasn't an ass about it.. 

I am finished fighting for it. I will continue to support the site and keep on the normal shenanigans. Hopefully, it will bring a more positive change and bring in more quality members for the site. It is your site, you and your staff are in charge and you feel like this is the best direction. I hope it is the right one and good things will come of it. 

White-Flag-of-Surrender.jpg

Lost neogamr, gained neowin.com in a year.. not bad.

I'd like to see how many people actually care about neowin.com.   I know I will continue to use neowin.net  .com just doesn't fit.

• Like 2

...its simply a refocus on the tech side of the community and away from the threads that appear on a frequent basis that add nothing to the forums and in fact bring down the maturity level and have become overly violent/sexuallized or just plain wierd. There are places for that sure but do we really want it on Neowin?

For as long as I have known this forum, it has had the various off-topic sections. If this forum will be becoming more strictly tech-oriented then what will happen to those sections? Will they be removed entirely or will they become subscriber-only feature (like HardOCP forum does)?

Its like getting free donuts and coffee, why complain?

It's like getting free donuts and coffee that you are alergic to.  Or that are burnt and you don't want it but have no choice.