Tech issues solved added in tech forums

This is a very well put and logical response. 

Thank you! Now.. see this is part of the problem.. if YOU were the OP you may mark mine as the best.. because for you as a reader it is.. but because the OP would make the personal choice that it is NOT the best answer.. it would go unnoticed.

Mine will remain 0 for a very long time!

I don't post in the tech sections I second hiding the "0 Best Answers" seeing 0's everywhere gives the impression no one helps even though they help users everyday.. just not in the place where they can be awarded a point. :)

This is very good, no more spamathons in certain threads to gain more post counts! I thought certain members trying to get more post counts

was totally pointless and didn't do any good also. I would much rather help people in need of tech assistance than posting trivial things.

I'm indifferent with the change, since I post every now and then. My only question is why isn't this only limited to the support forums.

• Like 2

Honest Opinion, and I'll let it go after this..

This wasn't as much as Neowin doing as much as Stardocks. . It well known that Stardock is a huge supporter of this site.. they even secured Neowin.com for Neowin.. I bet they now have a very large say so on what goes on around here.. It would be in their best interest to turn the forum focus more to a tech community to drive traffic for advertising reasons. They probably could care less about the media\general sections.. They want the members to start churning higher quality post focused in the tech forums.. 

So, is this Neowins community or Stardocks? 

It would be in their best interest to turn the forum focus more to a tech community to drive traffic for advertising reasons. They probably could care less about the media\general sections.. They want the members to start churning higher quality post focused in the tech forums..

It's not like they deleted all the non-tech forums - since when do member post counts drive site traffic anyway? If they did, forum administrators would create fake accounts that came with a billion posts.

It's not like they deleted all the non-tech forums - since when do member post counts drive site traffic anyway? If they did, forum administrators would create fake accounts that came with a billion posts.

Does best answers drive site traffic? No, when I google a question I usually go straight to forums in the search results. I hardly ever see a site actually I don't think i've ever been to a forum that used "best answers". Secondly if I would I wouldn't give that any thought because someone with 0 best answers could give me the answer i'm looking for..

This wasn't as much as Neowin doing as much as Stardocks. . It well known that Stardock is a huge supporter of this site.. they even secured Neowin.com for Neowin.. I bet they now have a very large say so on what goes on around here.. It would be in their best interest to turn the forum focus more to a tech community to drive traffic for advertising reasons. They probably could care less about the media\general sections.. They want the members to start churning higher quality post focused in the tech forums.. 

I think the best answer view will drive members to be more helpful and much less unhelpful. I think the best answer view will refine the forums and make less chaotic also.

Members post do not drive traffic, but if members started focusing on helping others more on tech related issues, the better chance Neowin will show up in google results when someone else has that issue. The more people focusing on getting best answers, the more tech help Neowin gets, the more problems neowin solves, the more google results driving traffic.. 

I'm not saying that is a bad thing.. It would be great if Neowin turns into a EVEN BIGGER community.. I am all for that, that is why I donate money to the site.. What I am saying, they are focusing more on the tech aspect of the site and less on the others. I know this is a major tech site, but it has also grown into a bunch of other communities as well, that is what helps makes Neowin so great. They can still focus on both.  

I think the best answer view will drive members to be more helpful and much less unhelpful. I think the best answer view will refine the forums and make less chaotic also.

Doubtful.How is the site chaotic?

I think the words that come to mind is " a mountain out of a mole hill."

Personally I like to see the post count but that's just a personal thing, as it has been mentioned  a few times, the post count is still there, just to drift your mouse over the name, and wow there it, not that difficult at the end of the day.

Doubtful.How is the site chaotic?

Have you see how much trivial activity goes on in the random stuff threads? I said the forums are chaotic at times and especially the silly Xbox and PlayStation wars. I think not having the post count will turn those who post frequent unhelpful things, into posting less frequent and more helpful things. The post count drove competition between those with less post counts and more post counts. The post counts drove the need of new members to increase their post counts, because they felt it somehow made them a more seasoned member, which it does not.

Have you see how much trivial activity goes on in the random stuff threads? I said the forums are chaotic at times and especially the silly Xbox and PlayStation wars. I think not having the post count will turn those who post frequent unhelpful things, into posting less frequent and more helpful things. The post count drove competition between those with less post counts and more post counts. The post counts drove the need of new members to increase their post counts, because they felt it somehow made them a more seasoned member, which it does not.

The silly fanboy crap will continue no matter what especially when threads are about console vs console.

Whereas post counts are largely irrelevant...I have to agree with the rebuttals on this thread.

This is...largely...a pointless change. One brought about because why again? So people can find out who posts the "best answers". What signals a best answer? The one that solves the OPs issue or the one that aligns with the OPs opinion?

If Neowin was purely a tech forum, this would make sense. You would have your group of "gurus" that pride themselves in solving head scratchers and people who come to get help. If I was needing help, I would want the guy who posts all the best answers and in such an environment the person who solves the problem would get the best answer increment.

...but Neowin is much more. News, entertainment, random discussion, hangouts, etc. you name it.

@Neobond , how in the world are you going to implement and govern a "best answers" system outside a help site that isn't driven based on opinion? I personally think your staff and yourself are confused on what you were going for. It sounds like you really wanted a "reputation" system where we can see who is considered the most "helpful" or just a great community member which has 0 to do with post count (and wouldn't go so far to replace it).

Would love to hear some feedback or a reply.

The silly fanboy crap will continue no matter what especially when threads are about console vs console.

Yep. Not showing post count will in no way keep people from arguing.. Again.. I don't really think that was the point for them doing that.. Neowin knows that members like their high post count..  That is why there are milestone threads, threads to help the general section reach 1 million post.. They want people to focus more on helping in the tech forums to help drive traffic.. Guess it is the way to the Stardock now. 

I always like to randomly say the Atari 2600 is better in those kind of threads to try to silence the console wars arguing. :laugh:

Have you see how much trivial activity goes on in the random stuff threads?

But you contribute to the random text, pictures and video threads too! Plus post count isn't the thing that makes people post there, it's the good members of Neowin having a bit of fun. :)

Posting chicken photos or jokes isn't trivial  :shifty:

But you contribute to the random text, pictures and video threads too! Plus post count isn't the thing that makes people there, it's the good members of Neowin having a bit of fun.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Those that provide helpful answers should be recognized for their efforts.  On the other hand those that are active in other areas of the site should feel some sort of feedback themselves.  A post count does indicate how active a member is in the community and has a certain appearance of respect or seniority (not always certainly).

As far as what happens in the random posts type threads wouldn't it be expected to see "trivial activity"?   I've thought the random threads were for fun.

Since change is important maybe consider changing Neowin name to NeoBook or FaceWin.  /s

P.S  Hoping for a Best Answer nod for this post.   ;)  

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Those that provide helpful answers should be recognized for their efforts.  On the other hand those that are active in other areas of the site should feel some sort of feedback themselves.  A post count does indicate how active a member is in the community and has a certain appearance of respect or seniority (not always certainly).

As far as what happens in the random posts type threads wouldn't it be expected to see "trivial activity"?   I've thought the random threads were for fun.

Since change is important maybe consider changing Neowin name to NeoBook or FaceWin.  /s

I was given the impression certain members took advantage of those threads to increase their post counts :shifty: I may have posted a lot in some of those threads, but they were mainly things meant to be funny or interesting, not to increase my post count.

This post is completely false. This change is a Neowin and only a Neowin change made by staff. This kind of post just spreads rumors that have no basis in fact.

I was given the impression certain members took advantage of those threads to increase their post counts :shifty: I may have posted a lot in some of those threads, but they were mainly things meant to be funny or interesting, not to increase my post count.

:o   Shame on you, Lone!           ;)

This post is completely false. This change is a Neowin and only a Neowin change made by staff. This kind of post just spreads rumors that have no basis in fact.

That post is not completely false.. Stardock did secure Neowin.com.. There was even post about it in the front page news.. Stardock does support this site.. I'm not saying this is a bad thing.. 

It was just a theory.. If Neowin and Neowin only made the choice, then work with some of the long standing members and subscribers to help come up with a solution instead of brushing it off..

It wasn't spreading a rumor, it was asking if that was the case which has now been answered.  Honestly, it wasn't all that far fetched as a possibility.. this change makes little sense due to all the possible exploitation and lack of validation and reflection.. so it seems kind of odd it was implemented.

• Like 2