Tech issues solved added in tech forums

Hello,

Im going to purpose another system.

Why cant this be a user side option? If you want to see the best answers, click it in your user config. If you want to see the post count, click it in your user config. This is problably the EASIEST method to let everyone be happy.

Also another problem to this system is it is limited to the tech section. Posts counts count everywhere except 1 or 2 sections.

Post count is an arbitrary number with little/no value. People have placed value on this but it doesn't necessarily mean your content is helpful in any meaningful way. You could have 10000 posts and a person with 100 posts may be a more helpful contributor, they just respond to threads less frequently.

I should be given the Most Fowl Contributor, because I post the most fowl and absurd things  :laugh:

Put it as your member title if you wish ;)

I should be given the Most Fowl Contributor, because I post the most fowl and absurd things  :laugh:

You are certainly fowling things up!    ;)

slightly off topic but is there any significance to most of the mods/admins changing their usernames to their real names?

• Like 3

I think the pecking order of neowin works well with moderators and everything, it keeps things in check. :D Sorry I just had to say it

There's still a meaningful indication of post count, that's the number of stars. It clearly indicates if someone posts a lot or not. The post count has always been redundant. In any case, it's not a relevant stat. I haven't seen a single argument in this thread showing the value of post count. I could spend all my day posting in the "person above you" thread, that would only mean I have no life, not that I'm a useful member of the community. The number of "Best Answers" will be much better correlated with how helpful someone is. 

In my opinion we should utterly remove some of the information there. The title above the portrait, the joined date, location, OS, all that crap, if someone's really interested to know they can visit the profile page. There's no reason for that information to be repeated again and again on each and every one of a member's post. It's enough that the member can be easily identified (name + portrait) along with only the most relevant stats (i.e. group, "best answers" is ok). Signatures are also pointless but at least you can disable them.

See http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/10/the-gamification.html

• Like 3

I originally came to Neowin for assistance and I liked it so much that I stayed and became a subscriber for a while.  I think this is a really good thing, I only hope people don't ignore genuine replies in favor of mods responses.

There's still a meaningful indication of post count, that's the number of stars. It clearly indicates if someone posts a lot or not. The post count has always been redundant. In any case, it's not a relevant stat. I haven't seen a single argument in this thread showing the value of post count. I could spend all my day posting in the "person above you" thread, that would only mean I have no life, not that I'm a useful member of the community. The number of "Best Answers" will be much better correlated with how helpful someone is. 

You dissing my favorite thread. :o

You dissing my favorite thread. :o

It's a fun thread.. In a fun part of the forum.. But other "members" see that as spamming and a way to "up your post".. I see it as just having fun and letting off some stress.. Good distraction.. 

slightly off topic but is there any significance to most of the mods/admins changing their usernames to their real names?

Stardock wants them to, it makes Neowin look more professional, along with answered questions driving more traffic from google.

• Like 3

It's a fun thread.. In a fun part of the forum.. But other "members" see that as spamming and a way to "up your post".. I see it as just having fun and letting off some stress.. Good distraction.. 

I didn't say that. I said that someone could only post there and have the same post count as BudMan, and clearly one of those members is a knowledgeable helpful member of the community and the other is not, so post count means nothing. I don't mind the existence of the thread or that some have fun with it, I was making a point about the value of post count.

I didn't say that. I said that someone could only post there and have the same post count as BudMan, and clearly one of those members is a knowledgeable helpful member of the community and the other is not, so post count means nothing. I don't mind the existence of the thread or that some have fun with it, I was making a point about the value of post count.

I wasn't refering to you.  

In my opinion we should utterly remove some of the information there. The title above the portrait, the joined date, location, OS, all that crap, if someone's really interested to know they can visit the profile page. There's no reason for that information to be repeated again and again on each and every one of a member's post. It's enough that the member can be easily identified (name + portrait) along with only the most relevant stats (i.e. group, "best answers" is ok). Signatures are also pointless but at least you can disable them.

See http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/10/the-gamification.html

So if you have zero best answers you're not a useful member?  You do seem to be strongly suggesting that by your statement.

Guess it's time to move on, Neowin has become too elite for us regular  "no life" members. :/

Those people think wrongly then as I stated before I don't care about my post count. I'm just not fond on the best answer feature, that's all! 

And yes it is a fun thread and a good distraction. I'm sad that people don't see it the way I do. :(

• Like 2

Stardock wants them to, it makes Neowin look more professional, along with answered questions driving more traffic from google.

post-61856-0-75721600-1383675017.png

I could see them wanting too.. 

Oh, it is starting to make SO MUCH sense now,

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1065550-stardock-involvement-with-neowin-faq/?view=findpost&p=594748636

So if you have zero best answers you're not a useful member?  You do seem to be strongly suggesting that by your statement.

Guess it's time to move on, Neowin has become too elite for us regular  "no life" members. :/

Well if you never post in any of the support sections then that's not something you should care about. However, in the support section, seeing that someone has a lot of best answers already will be a good indication that this person knows what he is talking about. It will also encourage people to try and formulate more helpful answers so they get the mark. The Stackexchange site format is entirely based on similar ideas.

lmfao. So when something changes that you don't like, you just take it? Don't stand up for it and ask questions? I've been here for 10 years, I feel like I should stand up for a part of the forum change that I don't care for. 

Not always - I'll go elsewhere if I don't like it. But here's the thing, it's ultimately Neobond's boards, along with Stardock. He can make all the changes he wants to that he feels has the potential to better the community. If all you're concerned about is ranking up posts, there are dozens of other boards out there that'll gladly accommodate you. 

Personally, I'm here because of my love of technology. Also, because I'm interested in talking with others on just about anything, and trying to help out where I can. I could care less about the number of posts I have. 

Not always - I'll go elsewhere if I don't like it. But here's the thing, it's ultimately Neobond's boards, along with Stardock. He can make all the changes he wants to that he feels has the potential to better the community. If all you're concerned about is ranking up posts, there are dozens of other boards out there that'll gladly accommodate you. 

Personally, I'm here because of my love of technology. Also, because I'm interested in talking with others on just about anything, and trying to help out where I can. I could care less about the number of posts I have. 

I understand. I'm here for the same reasons. Again, I like the post count visible along with a member's post..  I have been here for 10 years and Neowin HAS BECOME A HUGE PART in life.. I hang out in IRC.. post in the "spam" threads.. goof off.. I admit.. I even enjoy a good trolling every now and then.. I have met members from this site that ended up turning into great friendships..

I tell you this because, this is a major change, or at least for me anyway.. I believe when you don't like something to speak out and fight for it. I'm not leaving Neowin; I enjoy this place.. But, changes around here and with the people running the site not really valuing subs anymore.. It kinda makes me sad.  

Nice way to go. . .now all the indviduals who are here to just have a high post count, and critize others (bullies) will probably go away. . . :laugh:

Well if you never post in any of the support sections then that's not something you should care about. However, in the support section, seeing that someone has a lot of best answers already will be a good indication that this person knows what he is talking about. It will also encourage people to try and formulate more helpful answers so they get the mark. The Stackexchange site format is entirely based on similar ideas.

So members will be given a Pavlov type reward to become better posters.  Oh, okay, sounds very forward thinking and will separate the useful posters from the non useful.  And that will drive up the number of members on Neowin.  Just filter out those who are not "useful" members. They are not doing Neowin any good.  /s

• Like 2

Nice way to go. . .now all the indviduals who are here to just have a high post count, and critize others (bullies) will probably go away. . . :laugh:

If someone here is criticizing or bullying you, there is already a system in place. Members can use the Report button to notify a mod. 

• Like 2

Why do some people expect one small change is intended to fix everything? It's just one thing that may direct more users to at least think about going into the technical forums to help others. Clearly it's an attempt to simply raise the overall quality of the site even if it is by a small degree and at what cost? Your precious post count being advertised? Some people....

• Like 2

Having "n Best Answers" compared to post count reminds me of Yahoo Answers or similar services. Its makes sense for technical support sections but this forum covers a lot more than just that.

• Like 2

Having "n Best Answers" compared to post count reminds me of Yahoo Answers or similar services. Its makes sense for technical support sections but this forum covers a lot more than just that.

Others have stated this. I don't think there is a winning or a compromise for the ones who don't like it.