Tech issues solved added in tech forums

Um. Sorry for the off topic post, but why has nearly all the staff gone from aliases to what I assume is their real names?

Again that is me. We don't need to hide behind a forum handles, most senior staff (and news team) use their real names already. We are happy to display who we are and use our real names in the hope that it will show that we are part of this community, we are real people and we are responsible for our actions..sure a name change won't do this on its own but its part of a bigger plan and more professional way of running the forums (after all Neowin LLC is a business, like all businesses we have standards and company image ).

And on a personal level if im big enough to tell members and staff what they can and can't do - like it or not, then i feel you the membership as well as staff that work under me have a right to know who i am, to me this is a full time (freely given) job and I treat it as such i have nothing to hide, every aspect of my Neowin life is online and Im proud to be associated to Neowin with my real name :)

• Like 4

Wow.  Not sure what everyone's problem is.  Tech supported seems far more relevant than post count, which really means almost absolutely nothing except to show how much time one spends surfing Neowin.

It means absolutely nothing if you don't post in that part of the forum either. I'm not saying post count does either but let's be real here.

Nah, no need for a like counter. Clever trolling and well placed zingers always get lots of likes. Folks going to walk around with that as a badge or something?

Also, lots of people consider 'like' = 'I agree'.

The post count stars are still there I see. I like that.

It means absolutely nothing if you don't post in that part of the forum either. I'm not saying post count does either but let's be real here.

Yes, so still not sure what the big deal is.

Let me just say this before we all continue with our on lives, yes I may have overreacted a bit because I didn't agree the new feature, but now I realize that:

1) It's the admins choice what they do with their site/forum and no-one is gonna change their set ideas. 

2) It's a piece of text at the side of the post. :blush:

3) They are not getting ridding of the General Discussions/Off-Topic sections. :)

4) They let us argue our point without locking the thread. Which is good cause most forums won't let you do that. I know from experience.

5) We'll get used to it eventually, maybe. :unsure:

any feature for other users to see another user's "Tech Supported" lists?

because i predict other will respond like this "I (or insert other nickname here) already answer this kind of question." ...

Rappy will be devastated..

In what forums is the 'best answer' feature active? Just the entire of the 'Technical help & Suppot' section? Also I'd suggest removing '0 best answers' until people gain at least 1.

Rappy's post's are always the best answer;)

Neowin, why did you make it harder for me to easily identity the people who camp all day in the Random Babes thread?! I have to hover now?! ppssshhh

Neowin, why did you make it harder for me to easily identity the people who camp all day in the Random Babes thread?! I have to hover now?! ppssshhh

The stars beneath the name provide an estimate of post count.

I also agree that it would be nice if you have a big fat "0" to not show anything at all :).  I know I'm unhelpful...don't like my nose rubbed in it though :'( ...lol

The "post not marked solved yet" will only show for the topic starter and staff.

Marked Solved:36

that to me reads that you have marked 36 questions as solved, not that you have solved 36.

Maybe others read it differently.

that to me reads that you have marked 36 questions as solved, not that you have solved 36.

same here.. 

I'll re-post my suggestion from a few pages back, maybe it can get some traction

How about "Solved Tech Issues" or "Tech Issues Solved". Since the button is "Marked Solved"

• Like 3

I'll re-post my suggestion from a few pages back, maybe it can get some traction

How about "Solved Tech Issues" or "Tech Issues Solved". Since the button is "Marked Solved"

Cheers, I completely missed that. Updated.

Aww, all the good answers I gave seem to be before that feature was implemented (or nobody marked them); now I look useless :laugh:

:hug_guy:

• Like 2

I don't see this as an improvement, to be honest.

Post counts are a standard forum feature and indicate how active a user is - the stars perform a similar function yet are less common, so it would make more sense to drop them instead. That said, it's not really a big deal either way. However, I don't think it makes sense to highlight 'Tech Issues Solved' as there are countless cases where multiple people contribute to a solution and there isn't any single 'best answer' - even when I've helped users they often don't use the system. It's also worth pointing out that even amongst mods there are very few that have any tech issues solved despite the fact that most of them regularly help out.

The 'like' system is a better indicator of how useful or valued a user's contributions are. At the moment it is skewed by topics like the Random Pictures and Random Babes threads but they could simply be made to stop counting or it could be limited to certain sections of the forums. That way it would reward those who contribute to the forum and allow multiple people to be recognised when they help. Further, most active members already have established 'like' scores and so you won't see 99% of users listed as having zero likes as is the case with tech issues solved. I've always considered the 'like' scores as a more useful indicator of how much people contribute and it is definitely a more used feature.

I understand the motivation behind the changes but I just don't think it's the right way to go about it.

This topic is now 25 pages long and the OP has just 10 likes despite being posted by an admin...

Now 90%-95%++ of the site's userbase has a "0" in a key member box line?

That is web design failure 101. (Wasted space.)

So replacing a unique number with a 0 is a pretty dumb move imo.

(N) (N)

What about "Tech Issues Solved"?

How does this help us/make Neowin a better site?

Well, it doesn't....

(N) (N)

• Like 3