• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

#241 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 10,713 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:04

It isn't going to change, and a minority of members whining about it just enforces this decision :)

I hope you have read the simple solution I posted a few pages back.

#242 Daniel F.

Daniel F.

Deputy Head

• 9,825 posts
  • Phone: Android 4.2.2

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:04

Stardock wants them to, it makes Neowin look more professional, along with answered questions driving more traffic from google.

You're wrong that was me actually, if we act more professional and friendly, were hoping it will encourage the membership to do the same 

#243 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:05

There's only one person you could be referring to and you should call Him by His name.

I don't even know who you're referring to, so this a non issue. I was generalizing.

#244 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,723 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:06

It isn't going to change, and a minority of members whining about it just enforces this decision :)

Members voicing their concern about a site they like/love and we're "whining"?   Unbelievable and unacceptable.  So is this an indication of the direction Neowin is heading to, only reward a minority or try to entice others by manipulating them with a reward that is nothing but a number?

Bravo!   /s

#245 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,264 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:07

Sorry if it came off disrespectful, name some decisions that have proven to be unpopular in the long run? I had dinner, watched a movie and came back to see a lot of posts saying the same things from pages ago by the same people, arguing against the people who support it, because they believe it will eventually lead to higher quality posts on this forum. If that isn't a change we can get behind then I don't know what is lol.

Post counts were considered to be removed altogether, but I wasn't a fan of that.

#246 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

• 10,713 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:13

Sorry if it came off disrespectful, name some decisions that have proven to be unpopular in the long run? I had dinner, watched a movie and came back to see a lot of posts saying the same things from pages ago by the same people, arguing against the people who support it, because they believe it will eventually lead to higher quality posts on this forum. If that isn't a change we can get behind then I don't know what is lol.

Post counts were considered to be removed altogether, but I wasn't a fan of that.

Can you please at least provide an option to remove the best answer feature from the User CP? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

E3moWR9.png

#247 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,904 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:13

But the problem is that it's only post quality in certain parts of the forum. The issue we're having is that we don't all post in those areas specifically.

Ironically I came to neowin many years ago seeking tech help but I didn't keep posting here because I got the help I needed. I stayed because I found other parts of the forum that I enjoyed.

I'm really not sure how I should take it now that I'm being told that my contributions (however small) to this forum aren't worth anything if I'm not posting in reply to some one elses tech troubles.

Also I consider what phone or OS a person is using, or their location, considering it can be anything from nothing to the moon, to be less useful pieces of information than their post count.

#248 Daniel F.

Daniel F.

Deputy Head

• 9,825 posts
  • Phone: Android 4.2.2

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:14

And its only a few certain members that are complaining and backing each other up....you dont see the other 299,999+ members moaning, infact other than the little click, most others are saying they welcome the change of focus and are tired of post count ###### and bullies.

...People said Neowin was going down hill, not as godd as it used to be yada, yada, yada...

...This is the start of us pulling the content upto a level where we want it to be and refocus on what makes Neowin great not just pandering to the vocal few...

#249 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,938 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:14

Sorry guys, absolutely ridiculous, I see what you're trying to achieve, but this isn't a good way to do it IMO. (N)

Why bother having post-count stars if we don't have post counts?

Should people that have extremely high amounts of post counts now be demoted to standard members considering they were promoted mainly due to the fact of their sheer amount of posts?

The entire basis of a forum revolves around post counts for the most part. How will competitions work if we don't know their post counts now?

(Yes I realise it's in their profile. So was their warning level and that decision got reversed quickly.)

Silly, silly move. Please reconsider this decision.

Can you please at least provide an option to remove the best answer feature from the User CP? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

Agreed, this is a good idea.

Edited by Raa, 05 November 2013 - 22:23.

#250 zman982

zman982

You can not harm me!

• 291 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:15

No worries and I hope it didn't come off as an attack.

I agree that there is need for change on occasion; I question the reasoning behind this change. I'm willing to give this a shot and am not above compromising so long as some things are adjusted. Namely the ability to best answer your own posts.

Completely agree with you.

It's great you guys are trying to encourage members to help one another, but please remove to option to best answer your own threads.

It could lead to distorting the number of people who are genuinely helping others.

#251 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:17

The post count view causes a form of a competition between members to get highest posts counts, which is pointless, because you don't win a prize doing it at the end.  So, good riddance to the post count view

#252 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,324 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:18

If someone here is criticizing or bullying you, there is already a system in place. Members can use the Report button to notify a mod. 

. . .like I didn't already know that. . . :shifty:

#253 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:19

I think it would have at least eased the transition a little if the best answer feature had been enabled for a little longer before this took place. Look at this from a member's point of view. Regardless of whether it's always true or not, post counts in combination with join date do offer a way to attempt to determine credibility. Now everyone lost their credibility. Sure, they can build it back up if they so choose to be active in a select few sections, but after some of us have been here for 10 years or more, we're suddenly thrown to the level of every other member that joined just yesterday. Sure, there's the stars, but like nearly everyone else, I have no clue what the stars equate to. I just know a lot of stars must be a lot of posts. And as far as hovering on the name, no one would have a clue that was there until they read this thread or just stumbled upon it. 99% of the people coming here will be familiar with post counts not best answers since that's how 99% of all other forums work. It's just kind of tough luck to everyone who has been here from the start, so surely you can see why some people would be upset or not like the change. Continuing to demean those who may not like the idea as much certainly doesn't help either.

I agree though, I could get a little more behind it if I could hide my "0 best answers" because I don't typically post in those sections and still am not going to. I try to be a helpful member of the community and at least add useful dialog to conversations, but I don't do forum tech support. If I so happen to help someone out, then great, I don't need credit for it, I just helped a fellow member of my community. I have no interest in advertising my number of best answers be it large or small.

#254 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,008 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:19

Another thing to consider is post count can be used in the programming forum to understand if someone has just registered to get help with their homework or is a regular here that needs help.

I am not suggesting that replacing it with the best answer count is a bad idea, but just wanted to offer that perspective.

#255 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

• 10,713 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:23

And its only a few certain members that are complaining and backing each other up....you dont see the other 299,999+ members moaning, infact other than the little click, most others are saying they welcome the change of focus and are tired of post count ###### and bullies.

...People said Neowin was going down hill, not as godd as it used to be yada, yada, yada...

...This is the start of us pulling the content upto a level where we want it to be and refocus on what makes Neowin great not just pandering to the vocal few...

Can you at least consider the solution I posted above? Pretty please with icing on top!