Tech issues solved added in tech forums

I'm intrigued to know what it means to people? I've seen people with a high post count that just post gibberish, and others with an incredibly low post count, but a majority of their replies have been well thought out posts. Do you treat someone with a high post count differently than someone with a low post count? I'm genuinely asking, as I really can't see any benefit to post counts.

I don't judge anyone on their post count.. But it does show how active they are.. 

In reality.. it doesn't really matter.. but it does add fun trying to reach milestones.. Again, I know you can see them in other areas..  I simply just don't like the change.. Maybe I will get used to it. 

Why can't you just have both? Make a compromise.. 

But don't the stars on their own do that? And again, it's not like you can't hover over the user for a split second to see their actual post count...

The stars don't really tell much of a story on their own.  I don't know how many stars = how many posts.

Didn't know about the hovering over the user thing.

Even if I visit another forum and I see that someone has a high post count it indicates as other(s) have stated that it represents someone who is active in the community.  It's minor but clearly there are those that see it that way.

• Like 1

Right. But this isn't just a forum for tech help.. It's much bigger than that.. This isn't TechNet. They should simply show both. 

And what difference does it make in the non-tech sub-fora how many posts a member has? Simple answer: None whatsoever.

But don't the stars on their own do that? And again, it's not like you can't hover over the user for a split second to see their actual post count...

I prefer stars to a count actually but if you haven't answered anything then it should be hidden

• Like 2

the quality of the post does.

So help us really understand the thought process here..

When I search Google for something and I find an answer along with a great community, I am not looking for a member's quality post count.. I am looking at the community as a whole. 

On the other hand, was this mainly for gearing current members to help in the tech sections more to drive more traffic to the site? 

Why is it a problem to have both? That way it makes everyone happy. And to me stars mean nothing. I mean most people have the same amount of stars, so what does that mean? If anything I think the stars should go because it tells me nothing.

• Like 3

And what difference does it make in the non-tech sub-fora how many posts a member has? Simple answer: None whatsoever.

As I stated in a later post, it doesn't really matter.. However, if it doesn't matter at all.. then why does it come standard in any forum install? Some people just enjoy looking at other peoples post count. 

To much work.. I'm not going to hover over peoples names just to see their post count. As mentioned before me, not everyone will get best answers, is that to alienate other users or what, especially since this isnt just a tech forum a lot of members wont get "best answers".

Great. There's that word again - "choice"... Oh, boy. Because no one can ever be happy. :/

No, we just don't like changes we don't like being forced upon us.. You don't like choices? 

To much work.. I'm not going to hover over peoples names just to see their post count. As mentioned before me, not everyone will get best answers, is that to alienate other users or what, especially since this isnt just a tech forum a lot of members wont get "best answers".

Too much work? It takes 3 seconds to point your mouse and hover. You don't even need to click... :no:

No, we just don't like changes we don't like being forced upon us.. You don't like choices?

Welcome to the real "world". Choice isn't always an option.

• Like 2

Too much work? It takes 3 seconds to point your mouse and hover. You don't even need to click... :no:

Same could be said for "best answer". That should be where you see them when you hover over. I'd much rather see post count than best answer.

Never really cared about likes/post count.  Dont see me caring much here either.  I help people when I have the time or want to.  And since a lot of the stuff poeple ask for help here on I do on a day to day basis.  Last thing I want to do is more work.  But good for those who care about such things.  :).

• Like 2

lmfao. So when something changes that you don't like, you just take it? Don't stand up for it and ask questions? I've been here for 10 years, I feel like I should stand up for a part of the forum change that I don't care for. 

• Like 3

Can't say I am a fan of this.  I could post the most awesomest post ever.. but then someone could post a picture of a kitten and it be considered the best.. you are putting power in other peoples hands.   I could not like someone and even if they post something that answers 100% I may not mark them as best.

Also.. 9/10 times I don't ever pick a best answer in my posts.. and having the count won't make me change either.  To me post count if it were to be replaced.. replace it with like count not best answer count.   However.. post count shouldn't have been replaced anyways.. if it is that big an issue then don't increase post count in unqualified sections... 

• Like 4

Can't say I am a fan of this.  I could post the most awesomest post ever.. but then someone could post a picture of a kitten and it be considered the best.. you are putting power in other peoples hands.   I could not like someone and even if they post something that answers 100% I may not mark them as best.

Also.. 9/10 times I don't ever pick a best answer in my posts.. and having the count won't make me change either.  To me post count if it were to be replaced.. replace it with like count not best answer count.   However.. post count shouldn't have been replaced anyways.. if it is that big an issue then don't increase post count in unqualified sections... 

This is a very well put and logical response. 

So.. if you were in jail.. and bubba came up to you and told you that you were his wife.. you would just bend over and take it? Because he didn't ask if you wanted to be his wife?