Tech issues solved added in tech forums

I'm being sarcastic, but in all honesty this is how this new "reward" system comes across -

zFVD4Tp.jpg?1

I won't be leaving Neowin though, I like this place a lot!

• Like 3

I'm being sarcastic, but in all honesty this is how this new "reward" system comes across -

zFVD4Tp.jpg?1

This sums it up.. Gotta keep doing good and trying to bump of that best answer count.. Gotta bring in more members and traffic for ads. 

You few guys aren't the only ones who they need to listen to. You are certainly being the most vocal about it... but it doesn't mean you are the majority or that they agree with you.

The only thing I'll add to what I've already said: I do in fact agree that the stars are not self-explanatory. Without the post count right under the stars, their meaning is completely lost. I don't care about the number, just relevance of what's on the screen. I would say for this reason, you would almost have to either also get rid of the stars or keep the post count as well as the best answers count.

In the 14 (really, 14?!) pages of this thread, I'm left with the impression that the community doesn't think too highly of itself and its members if these are the arguments being made. That's both sad and encouraging for me, as it means that there really is something that needs to be addressed if a majority think that a post count being prominently displayed is this meaningful.

And guys, the cat and dog pictures don't help and they don't add anything to the discussion. They don't even do anything to make me think twice about this decision, if anything they re-enforce the idea that this change is for the better.

Just my 2 cents for the evening. I haven't asked other staff for their opinions on this post, so don't go making it sound like I speak for the group.

• Like 2

You few guys aren't the only ones who they need to listen to. You are certainly being the most vocal about it... but it doesn't mean you are the majority or that they agree with you.

I'm not saying they should.. But they should at least act least they care about our options too! They just shrug it off and act like it is no big deal.. It's sad to get treated like that after 10 years and being a subscriber for some time..

They should at least make some sort of compromise.  And if not, act like they still value it's members and subs even if they don't agree. 

Posting the same request over and over again isn't making it look like many people want things to be changed back. The repetition is so obvious, in fact, that it looks like just two very vocal people are begging for the reversal.

No one said that.

I'm just sharing my thoughts, opinions and feelings about the topic.

And the cat and dog images DO add to the discussion, it is a way some members are expressing themselves.

Of course, maybe that isn't elite enough for some.    /s

In the 14 (really, 14?!) pages of this thread, I'm left with the impression that the community doesn't think too highly of itself and its members if these are the arguments being made. That's both sad and encouraging for me, as it means that there really is something that needs to be addressed if a majority think that a post count being prominently displayed is this meaningful.

And guys, the cat and dog pictures don't help and they don't add anything to the discussion. They don't even do anything to make me think twice about this decision, if anything they re-enforce the idea that this change is for the better.

Just my 2 cents for the evening. I haven't asked other staff for their opinions on this post, so don't go making it sound like I speak for the group.

Ok. Since Neowin has "overnight" gotten serious and a attitude for people trying to make light of the situation, I have decided I will NOT be renewing my sub. Why help a community that doesn't care about it's members. 

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is under the false impression that post count means anything other than post count. It's that the best answer thing as it is right now is badly implemented. It doesn't do anything for people who don't post in certain parts of the forum yet are affected by it for no apparent reason. 

If it has to change at all I think liked post count would be a better option. That gives a better picture of post to useful post ratio, in every part of the forum.

And I didn't know there was a huge problem with what is now being considered worthless or bad posts.

Also the fact that we weren't told the change was going to happen until it did doesn't help anything either.

• Like 3

Again it's not to do with post count, it's about a feature that not all the members will use as I've stated many times. See the screenshot that I posted a few posts back to see what I believe is acceptable.

This change is not for the better as stated by many members. It doesn't even have any noticeable benefits that I can think of, in fact, all it does is makes certain members look bad.

I probably should also point out that although I support the change, neither me nor other MVCs are privy to the discussions of moderators and administrators of the site, so what I say only reflects my personal opinion.

I'm left with the impression that the community doesn't think too highly of itself and its members if these are the arguments being made. 

I'm not sure if you are at all referencing what I've said as my reasoning against this or not. If it was than I'm simply pointing out an overall need of a great many to be validated through some form of progression, numerical or otherwise. There will be an issue seeing under their name and in an effort to increase their value (woo, double meaning) they will go and 'help' people; or as I call it, "litter the help/support forums'. This isn't because I have any lack of respect for this community, nor is that even necessarily a negative character trait -- simply Humans doing Human things and consequent prediction.

There will be an issue seeing under their name and in an effort to increase their value (woo, double meaning) they will go and 'help' people; or as I call it, "litter the help/support forums'. 

If this causes some to go and help out others then isn't that a net positive? Littering the support forums with unhelpful replies won't get anyone any "Best Answer" so I don't see that happening. Although I would agree that a "0" has a negative connotation we could avoid. The Stack Exchange format uses a generic score instead, and everyone starts out with some points just for creating their account. With a score system in place, we can tie in "likes" as well - give likes a low value (say 2 points) and "Best Answers" a high value (say 25 points). Food for thought.

Ok. Since Neowin has "overnight" gotten serious and a attitude for people trying to make light of the situation, I have decided I will NOT be renewing my sub. Why help a community that doesn't care about it's members.

No one said anything about not having fun. But you joined a month after I did, and you surely see that there's a difference. I would like to see us try some things out and see if they make us better than we are now, rather than blindly shoot them down in the first few hours. We all have a fondness for IT, and therefore we all know that there are almost always day-one problems.

And I'm sorry that you're not going to renew your subscription, but that's your perogative. :(

If this causes some to go and help out others then isn't that a net positive? Littering the support forums with unhelpful replies won't get anyone any "Best Answer" so I don't see that happening. Although I would agree that a "0" has a negative connotation we could avoid. The Stack Exchange format uses a generic score instead, and everyone starts out with some points just for creating their account. With a score system in place, we can tie in "likes" as well - give likes a low value (say 2 points) and "Best Answers" a high value (say 25 points). Food for thought.

Ah, that would be great.

Likes and posts can be worth some low value where best answers give a very large value. I think a score system would be a much better idea. I always knew I liked your brain.

Wait...so you clarify the fact there is 14 pages as its something....shocking? Let me say I am glad you speak for yourself on this matter. I appreciate the fact that you have members coming forth in this thread to challenge this change and ask not only for explanations but customization options as well. You should be PROUD that you have a community that cares enough to voice their concerns and not silently walk out when they disagree. That is what defines a community and if you feel that just because the post count is irrelevant to you and the fact people argue it means "the community doesn't think too highly of itself and its members if these are the arguments being made" then you have a flawed opinion of what a community is. This change is definitely a negative and more disruptive because there is now a biased "measure of worth" called Best Answers which members will ultimately be judged on. 

Besides the fact its a new feature in IPB and its "shiny"...I've yet to hear any valid reason to implement this over what was currently in place. What was so broken that had to be fixed?

<post>

All very valid points, and I do apologise. I was annoyed at the time, and I was surprised at the fact that in the short space of time it has been announced there were so many posts that didn't want to even see how things went.

However, I stand by the change for the moment for that exact reason. Why are so many people not willing to give this a go and see what happens? Do we want to stagnate?

At the risk of sounding a little pedantic, can it be changed to say "No best answers", "1 best answer" (no 's'), "2 best answers"?