462 replies to this topic

#121 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,751 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:28

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 11.24.01 AM.png

I'm pretty sure, everyone will agree, that Budman is one of the most intelligent and helpful forum members. He doesn't care if it takes 30 seconds or 2 hours to help someone with 1 post or 1000 post.. He goes into great detail and will start from the basics if he feels like someone doesn't understand the issue. 

He only has 15 best answers. He is a very dedicated forum member and someone that goes out of his way to help someone, only has 15 best answers.. I know this hasn't been implemented very long.. but he has helped far more than 15 people with well, thought out, and detailed post since it has.

#122 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,706 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:32

Bear in mind, that the Best Answer feature has only recently been introduced, and not many members have been, let's say, encouraged to use this feature. Hopefully this change will promote using the feature more, and also it will start to bring these numbers up to a more accurate level.

Remember, it is still early days, and we have only just rolled this change out, over the course of the next couple of days/weeks, we will be refining this system so that it works better for everyone. :)

#123 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,724 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:33

Hello,

Im going to purpose another system.

Why cant this be a user side option? If you want to see the best answers, click it in your user config. If you want to see the post count, click it in your user config. This is problably the EASIEST method to let everyone be happy.

Also another problem to this system is it is limited to the tech section. Posts counts count everywhere except 1 or 2 sections.

#124 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:35

I should be given the Most Fowl Contributor, because I post the most fowl and absurd things  :laugh:

#125 fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,751 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:36

Just have both.. A lot of forums do both. 

#126 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,706 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:36

Hello,

Im going to purpose another system.

Why cant this be a user side option? If you want to see the best answers, click it in your user config. If you want to see the post count, click it in your user config. This is problably the EASIEST method to let everyone be happy.

Also another problem to this system is it is limited to the tech section. Posts counts count everywhere except 1 or 2 sections.

Post count is an arbitrary number with little/no value. People have placed value on this but it doesn't necessarily mean your content is helpful in any meaningful way. You could have 10000 posts and a person with 100 posts may be a more helpful contributor, they just respond to threads less frequently.

I should be given the Most Fowl Contributor, because I post the most fowl and absurd things  :laugh:

Put it as your member title if you wish ;)

#127 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,286 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:37

You are certainly fowling things up!    ;)

#128 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,665 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:38

slightly off topic but is there any significance to most of the mods/admins changing their usernames to their real names?

#129 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:41

I think the pecking order of neowin works well with moderators and everything, it keeps things in check. :D Sorry I just had to say it

#130 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:50

There's still a meaningful indication of post count, that's the number of stars. It clearly indicates if someone posts a lot or not. The post count has always been redundant. In any case, it's not a relevant stat. I haven't seen a single argument in this thread showing the value of post count. I could spend all my day posting in the "person above you" thread, that would only mean I have no life, not that I'm a useful member of the community. The number of "Best Answers" will be much better correlated with how helpful someone is. 

In my opinion we should utterly remove some of the information there. The title above the portrait, the joined date, location, OS, all that crap, if someone's really interested to know they can visit the profile page. There's no reason for that information to be repeated again and again on each and every one of a member's post. It's enough that the member can be easily identified (name + portrait) along with only the most relevant stats (i.e. group, "best answers" is ok). Signatures are also pointless but at least you can disable them.

See http://www.codinghor...mification.html

#131 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 2,983 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:54

I originally came to Neowin for assistance and I liked it so much that I stayed and became a subscriber for a while.  I think this is a really good thing, I only hope people don't ignore genuine replies in favor of mods responses.

#132 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 9,302 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:54

There's still a meaningful indication of post count, that's the number of stars. It clearly indicates if someone posts a lot or not. The post count has always been redundant. In any case, it's not a relevant stat. I haven't seen a single argument in this thread showing the value of post count. I could spend all my day posting in the "person above you" thread, that would only mean I have no life, not that I'm a useful member of the community. The number of "Best Answers" will be much better correlated with how helpful someone is. 

You dissing my favorite thread. :o

#133 fusi0n

fusi0n

• 3,751 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 17:57

You dissing my favorite thread. :o

It's a fun thread.. In a fun part of the forum.. But other "members" see that as spamming and a way to "up your post".. I see it as just having fun and letting off some stress.. Good distraction.. 

#134 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,452 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:00

slightly off topic but is there any significance to most of the mods/admins changing their usernames to their real names?

Stardock wants them to, it makes Neowin look more professional, along with answered questions driving more traffic from google.

#135 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 18:02

It's a fun thread.. In a fun part of the forum.. But other "members" see that as spamming and a way to "up your post".. I see it as just having fun and letting off some stress.. Good distraction.. 

I didn't say that. I said that someone could only post there and have the same post count as BudMan, and clearly one of those members is a knowledgeable helpful member of the community and the other is not, so post count means nothing. I don't mind the existence of the thread or that some have fun with it, I was making a point about the value of post count.