Is it really healthy to walk barefoot outside?

https://encrypted.google.com/patents/US7069665

A component system of footwear corrective alignment insoles provides adjustment of the alignment of a human foot based upon evaluation and measurement of structural anomalies in the foot.

that patent claim certain formed insole-shoes can be used as 'corrective adjustment'.

if the claim are correct that mean its not something you can get just by walking barefooted.

I walk barefoot outside all the time.

Though doing it constantly on concrete can lead your heels to crack over time. If you develop a callus from walking a lot, and if the weather is dry your skin won't be moist so it'll start to crack, and the dirt will get the cracks. One of the benefits of wearing shoes is it helps protect against that. Otherwise you have to make sure your feet are clean all the time.

But how can people walk in grassy fields without worrying about dog poop? Dogs love to doo doo on the grass. Imagine stepping on that with your bare feet. Yuck!

Mosey on down to you local quack err... reflexologist and they'll clean your feet up ... for a fee.

Reading the replies to this thread, its apparent lots didnt even read the OP. Regardless if you believe in the theory, read first and comment later. OP is not talking about walking in bathrooms or in big cities barefoot. Talking about natural settings.

techbeck, I did read the op. A lot of what they're talking about in that article, and in linked articles on that site, refers to being barefoot in general, ie a linked article connects it to being barefoot in yoga, as well as enjoying walking outdoors. Walking in a natural setting is supposed to have added benefits.

Its enjoyable for me to walk barefoot outside even on concrete, anyway.

Hazards exist in natural settings where you walk, depending on where you're walking. Thorny seed pods, shells, sharp stones, etc. Shoes were invented first so people wouldn't get things like snake bites, and so they wouldn't wear out their feet with calluses, before rusty nails existed. Sidewalks are relatively safe.

You just have to be careful and clean your foot, even if you walk in nature.

I don't know if its healthy or not. What I do know is that I cuss from the house to the mailbox and back if I walk barefoot. Either because the pavement is hot as hell or I step on a pebble. My tender feet just aren't made for first word terrain.

Urine is not sterile.  

I did see an operation show where the doctor said "while inside the body, the urine is sterile". But, that means its free from bacteria and other living microorganisms. I find that hard to believe.

As far as the OP, I cannot stand going barefoot whether it's healthy or not. I'm not really a germaphobe, I just cannot stand that dusty gritty feeling on the bottom of my feet. After a shower, I have to brush off the bottom of my feet before inserting them into my socks as it causes mild anxiety if I do not.  

The problem is not really if it is or is not healthy to walk barefoot outside.  I agree that it is not a problem.  The real question is if there is something (natural or manmade trash) that you might step on and break your skin.  Is it possible that thing might be infected with something?  I don't ask that to scare you.  It is an honest question.  In many cases the risk might be low enough you consider it okay, but it is something you should think about first.

pretty sure about this. also good for your health and immune system to have not a steril room but some dust in it.

I just cannot stand that dusty gritty feeling on the bottom of my feet. After a shower, I have to brush off the bottom of my feet before inserting them into my socks as it causes mild anxiety if I do not.  

:huh:  :| ?

brush them off with what?    your shower should be clean (if not, clean it!)   you just washed, using soap (i hope)   hopefully your bathroom floor is clean too.  

what does brushing do????

with exceptions of tapeworms and contaminates,   walking in a clean sand and ground, and even grass is great. 

i would stick with earth and sand, as you cannot see what you are stepping on in grass - could also be a sharp rock.

pretty sure about this. also good for your health and immune system to have not a steril room but some dust in it.

true.   part of the reason people who work out in a gym have good immunity, is the fact that gym is crawling with germs.  working out and keeping fit is one thing, but being used to germs is another.

if you run away from germs and dirt all the time, you are unprepared and unprotected in case of exposure.

• Like 1

The problem is not really if it is or is not healthy to walk barefoot outside.  I agree that it is not a problem.  The real question is if there is something (natural or manmade trash) that you might step on and break your skin.  Is it possible that thing might be infected with something?  I don't ask that to scare you.  It is an honest question.  In many cases the risk might be low enough you consider it okay, but it is something you should think about first.

Just be careful. If you aren't oblivious to what you're doing, you can pick your foot up as soon as you feel something is there, instead of pushing your foot down.. and also look ahead of you... you should see whether there are big nails lying face up on the ground or not.. and obviously avoid areas that are going to be more dangerous than normal.

I did see an operation show where the doctor said "while inside the body, the urine is sterile". But, that means its free from bacteria and other living microorganisms. I find that hard to believe.

As far as the OP, I cannot stand going barefoot whether it's healthy or not. I'm not really a germaphobe, I just cannot stand that dusty gritty feeling on the bottom of my feet. After a shower, I have to brush off the bottom of my feet before inserting them into my socks as it causes mild anxiety if I do not.  

Interesting because most people, especially girls, lounge around barefoot when indoors and they don't seem to mind having a little dirt/dust coming into contact with their feet. And what do you do in the summer? Almost everyone I know goes barefoot in the house in the summer because it's too hot to wear socks when it's 90 degrees out .

Interesting because most people, especially girls, lounge around barefoot when indoors and they don't seem to mind having a little dirt/dust coming into contact with their feet. And what do you do in the summer? Almost everyone I know goes barefoot in the house in the summer because it's too hot to wear socks when it's 90 degrees out .

I wear crocs or some other open style footwear without socks. My feet stay cool. Matter of fact, I live at the beach in Florida and most of the time I avoid the beach itself because I hate sand. Heh heh. My wife actually has to make me take my shoes off in the summer to get a bit of color on them else I have the ol dark legs and white ankles/feet. 

Uhh, tapeworms are caused by eating infected meat. Cannot get them by walking barefoot.

Yes, that was an oversimplification. I felt it better to use a word that everyone was familiar with, instead of using a different word. Most people think tapeworms cover all parasitic nematodes, so I decided to say tapeworm.

with exceptions of tapeworms and contaminates,   walking in a clean sand and ground, and even grass is great. 

i would stick with earth and sand, as you cannot see what you are stepping on in grass - could also be a sharp rock.

true.   part of the reason people who work out in a gym have good immunity, is the fact that gym is crawling with germs.  working out and keeping fit is one thing, but being used to germs is another.

if you run away from germs and dirt all the time, you are unprepared and unprotected in case of exposure.

Thats all fine and all, you can believe what you want too, its a free country....

Yes its healthier to be exposed to some bugs, HOWEVER i say SOME bugs. polio for example is not one you want to be exposed too.

There is NO REAL western doctor evidence to proof that walking bare foot is healthy......yes some reflexology - not a real doctor will tell you otherwise.

Either way, ensure you wash your feet before coming into a guys' house who has expensive thick white carpets!!!!!

Either way, ensure you wash your feet before coming into a guys' house who has expensive thick white carpets!!!!!

yes sherlock, i was hoping that everyone here could figure that out by themselves. :argh:

(about being exposed to polio + washing their dirty feet before going inside....              especially on your expensive think white carpet, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) 

but, i guess, if they did not....   here you are to save the day :punk:

ps. thanks for brightening up my evening, captain obvious.

Nope - I walk with shoes and socks. Barefoot isn't a good idea, even if it's supposedly "healthy" to do so.

For one, the germs you walk on with your shoes on multiple floors, even at work, or at the grocery store .... ick. No thanks.