Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Titan

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:53

When I setup Windows on an SSD I've always done a list of things:

-Disable Hibernation

-Disable System Restore

-Disable Defrag

-Move personal folders (My Music, Downloads, My Documents, etc) as well as the Desktop directory onto secondary HDD

-Move Temp directories onto secondary HDD

-Move IE Temporary Files folder onto secondary HDD

Getting ready to setup a new system and Im wondering what others do nowadays? I know Windows 8 now has SSD optimization isntead of Defrag so obviously that should be left on.

#2 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:57

I disable the paging file.  It's a waste of space and doesn't cause any harm (contrary to what anybody else claims).  Windows will automatically create a paging file if it absolutely needs it anyway.

If you have 8GB+ of RAM, you can gain back a considerable amount of space this way.

#3 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 05 November 2013 - 20:58

Don't do anything - let Windows configure itself.

Which means Trim will be on, and defrag will essentially be off.

I never had a problem with my computers or the SSDs in them.

#4 OP Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:00

Don't do anything - let Windows configure itself.

Which means Trim will be on, and defrag will essentially be off.

I never had a problem with my computers or the SSDs in them.

Yeah obviously with Windows 8's new features the defrag disabling is obsolete.

Though I put my desktop to sleep and wake it multiple times a day, so leaving Hibernate on would result in many large I/O operations being done on SSD every day.

#5 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:20

Yeah obviously with Windows 8's new features the defrag disabling is obsolete.

Though I put my desktop to sleep and wake it multiple times a day, so leaving Hibernate on would result in many large I/O operations being done on SSD every day.

Defrag disabling was also obsolete in Windows 7 - most were just too paranoid to trust it.

Hibernation will not kill your SSD - again just paranoia.

#6 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:21

I like to keep a paging file (min 800 MB to max 1024MB).

#7 Xenomorph

Xenomorph

Gerbil Warlord

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:27

SSDs are supposed to be drop-in replacements for HDDs.

You're not supposed to baby them; don't disable things, move files out of your profile, disable the pagefile, etc. It defeats the purpose of quick file access if you're moving all the files off the SSD!

The only thing to check into is to make sure the drive is "4K aligned" on older operating systems.

I know Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04 will format a drive starting at sector 63. Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 will format to the 1MiB mark, sector 2048.

If you're going to use an older OS, make sure to partition the drive first with a tool that will let you set where the partition starts (such as GParted). If you're not using an older OS, then you don't have to worry about this, as the built-in partition/format tool will set it up correctly.

#8 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:29

Bit off topic but you should leave the page file alone. Disabling the page file results to high CPU usage

#9 vetMax™

Max™

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:36

I just clone the drive then make doubly sure that TRIM is enabled. The rest will just sort itself out. SSD's are designed to last for ages even with several GB's worth of writes per day - of course, just like normal hard drives, some kick the bucket before others.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:50

Bit off topic but you should leave the page file alone. Disabling the page file results to high CPU usage

No it does not...  Don't spread FUD.

#11 OP Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:56

SSDs are supposed to be drop-in replacements for HDDs.

You're not supposed to baby them; don't disable things, move files out of your profile, disable the pagefile, etc. It defeats the purpose of quick file access if you're moving all the files off the SSD!

If I dont move my Documents/Media directories off of the SSD my 256 GB drive would be filled rather quickly.

#12 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 05 November 2013 - 21:57

I have four systems here with SSD's, 3 of which had nothing special done with them.. had zero reason to monkey with it, not into placebo effects, Windows manages things just fine on its own. The fourth has a smaller SSD, only 128GB, so I relocated the Users directory during the installation via audit mode as I know space would have been problematic down the road, but other than that, no changes. The only time I'd get a bit more hands on if I were feeling nostalgic/masochistic and wanted to put a legacy OS on the thing.

#13 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2013 - 00:42

No it does not...  Don't spread FUD.

Try and google "Pushing the Limits of Windows Virtual Memory" to see a statement by Microsoft that not all applications work correctly without a page file.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 06 November 2013 - 00:54

Windows already configures itself for SSD usage, if you have 7 or newer, you don't need to do anything. Not to mention if you disable hibernation on Windows 8 you lose fast boot. You don't need to disable defrag either, Windows won't try and defrag an SSD.

#15 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:18

Try and google "Pushing the Limits of Windows Virtual Memory" to see a statement by Microsoft that not all applications work correctly without a page file.

Either you're misinterpreting the article or I'm having a hard time to find the statement that confirms your idea.

In fact, I'm afraid it actually advocates to find what the commit limit is on one's system and then use that number to set the size of the paging file, therefore according to one's demands.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!