Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lord Method Man

How do you configure Windows on an SSD?

32 posts in this topic

Chances are you wont see crashes but you will stress your machine. An example is the fact that the .NET CLR pushes a lot of the heap memory space to the page file. If there is no page file, then it will be moving memory around all the time. Photoshop is another example that has a strong dependency on the page file. So managed applications and photoshop are good examples of programs that will be impacted by not having a page file.

Once again google "Chapter 17 - Tuning .NET Application Performance", Microsoft KB 314482.

I have done investigation on this and I am not just making it up

It doesn't work that way.  Like I said, if Windows absolute needs a paging file, it will create what it needs.  Disabling it doesn't truly disable it. In 7-8 years, I've never seen any irregular CPU spikes or any instabilities on any of my PCs.  A simple Google search brings up absolutely no proof of anything you're claiming.  Show me some dicrete proof.  Testimonials from Microsoft, charts, graphs, etc.  I've seen nothing about it, so I'm classifying this as nothing more than a conspiracy, no offense.

I don't do anything special with SSD's. Windows does that for you. I just make sure that Windows configured those settings.

I have a second 3TB drive that I redirect the "My Documents" to, as I have a lot of data in there that I don't need to access as fast as an SSD goes.

Any other application or game that I want to perform fast I install on the SSD.

Anything else also goes on the 3TB drive.

There is an article on Techspot about the recommended settings. They post that with every SSD review they do. Find it here.

As to the large amounts of reads/writes a day, I wouldn't be worried about it either, unless you actually do exceed those limits every day, every year for multiple years. Also a nice article from Techspot explaining it easily is found here. You are most likely to replace your drive than wear it out due to using up the cycles.

Related question: Should defrag be ran on a RAID 0 drive? Is it good/bad/pointless? Ive always left it on but Ive been told my others its not practical because the RAID controller handles things like that itself.

Related question: Should defrag be ran on a RAID 0 drive? Is it good/bad/pointless? Ive always left it on but Ive been told my others its not practical because the RAID controller handles things like that itself.

Is this a SSD RAID volume? If so, doing a defrag is still a bad idea.

Is this a regular HDD RAID volume? Then yes, a defrag is still a good idea. RAID in stripped scenarios works best when the data is sequential as you can use features like Patrol Read to speed up data access.

HDD RAID.

My usual config is SSD for Windows + Office and other applications and HDD RAID 0 for games and media files, etc.

I install, then enter audit mode, move user data over to mechanical drive, then create user accounts and update

This is not supported and will result in updates/service packs failing to install. It's recommended that you move your content folders, not the Users folder.

Service packs and updates work just fine if you know what you are doing and make the edits in the registry correctly, I have never had any problems installing this way.