Athlete Refuses To Run After Being Assigned "666" Number

A Whitley County student athlete says it would have gone against her religious beliefs to run with the race number '6-6-6'. She and her coach tried to get her a different number, and were told they could not.

Nerves over the race turned to frustration for Whitley County High School junior Codie Thacker because of a different number. It would have been her third time running this race. "I've trained since June for this race," she said.

And if she won the regional, it would have been her first time competing for the state championship. "I was so nervous I thought about it all week," said Thacker.

Cross country coach Gina Croley knows her students, so when she pulled the number assigned to Thacker, she knew there might be a problem. "I saw it and I was like, 'whoa,'" she said. "I don't think she will wear that number."

"666" is, according the the bible, the mark of the beast. Thacker couldn't bring herself to run while wearing "666" because of her faith. So, she and her coach tried to get a different number. They asked three different officials. They were told no three different times.

"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," said Thacker.

A spokesperson with Kentucky High School Athletic Association told LEX 18 it wasn't brought to their attention that the request was because of religious beliefs, adding that if they knew, they would have changed the number.

For those who know Thacker, it's easy to believe what happened next. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number," she said.

There won't be any more races for Thacker this season. She's now focused on next year, ready to keep running without running away from her beliefs.

source

A spokesperson with Kentucky High School Athletic Association told LEX 18 it wasn't brought to their attention that the request was because of religious beliefs, adding that if they knew, they would have changed the number.

Aside from the superstition, my bull**** meter went off here. What exactly did they think the basis of the complaint was?

• Like 2

Aside from the superstition, my bull**** meter went off here. What exactly did they think the basis of the complaint was?

I agree. This is stupid as hell, but what other reason did they think the objection was being raised over.

What an idiot.

We assign numbers to staff IDs at work (just so we are listed in order of rank....)

Numbers for other staff range from 001 to 050, but guess which 3-digit number I assigned myself.

• Like 3

People have vaguely irrational associations with numbers, I hardly call that stupid.

I did note though, I live in number 13, and generally you don't get a house number 13.

They should have at least respected her beliefs and found her another number.

Disclaimer: I am not a religious person, but I do respect other peoples beliefs and opinions.   

Was it intentional? Anyway, I laughed :p

I like to throw those type of things in where I can. I'm glad I could give you a laugh.

Japanese are said to hate the number four because it sounds like death.

shi, ?I think. It means death. I think 4 has 2 readings. shi, the one related to death and yon. Yon is the one which is preferred.

I think there 9 also has to do something with agony, but my understanding of Japanese is limited to that, the 2nd world war, and video games  :rofl:  :rofl:

And an ultimately malevolent creature needs a special number because....?

If you can avoid being in league with the dark lord, or avoid insulting your creator, simply by avoiding certain numbers than that is really easy-as-######, isn't it?

And an ultimately malevolent creature needs a special number because....?

If you can avoid being in league with the dark lord, or avoid insulting your creator, simply by avoiding certain numbers than that is really easy-as-****, isn't it?

The number 6 is associated with humanity, hence the verse being along the lines of "and the number is a beast is a human number 666".

Whereas the number 7 was associated with God hence the 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 thunders etc...

In essence it doesn't matter how many times you repeat the number 6 its not equal to the number 7 so nothing man does will ever bring him alongside God.

Note that this is being dredged up from my memory banks after many years of religious instruction in my youth.