• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 November 2013 - 00:28

I have been looking around for a new case. Because I got the thinking, if I can get rid of my 2 NAS, (sell on eBay) and put it in one computer, I'd be set. Have 2x 640GB and 2x 320GB, all WD Blue drives. Two less systems I have to worry about the IP to.

Two Questions:

I have in the one system:

ASUS  P8H67-M PRO

i3 2100 (1156)

550w Seasonic PSU

60GB OCZ Vertex SSD

4GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600

What I was thinking of, is junking my old Antec P180, and get something like this:

http://www.newegg.co...CFUSi4AodM24Afg

My old P180 is just really a piece of lump. Yeah, it was great in its days, but really doesn't serve a purpose anymore. Can't fit that many HDDs in there and call it safe.

That case just looks perfect for what I want. 5 Hot-Swap bays, enough to get on by. And It's not the cheapest, then again, not the most expensive. I've tried reading reviews on this, but other than Newegg, there is nothing on this. And no documentation? Geez, I throw away the instructions on most all cases.

I guess the blueness caught me first, but after reading its specs, wow... This thing will do me more that I was looking for.

Also, on the i3 2100, I am using the stock Intel cooler. I get a cool 35C with it. And currently, it is only running a Minecraft server. Have Debian Wheezy on it for the OS. Should I get like a passive cooler, in which there is no sound coming from the system? I believe that a full-height heatsink can fit in the case above, so any of you know a good brand? I looked on Xoxide, they have more selections of the big boys. Any/Most of those fanned ones can be turned off/removed. Any suggestions?

#2 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:20

1. Good cases albeit they are lacking in sound-proofing, so if this is going near a sleeping area you may want to consider an alternative!

2. Passive is good, especially if you're not hitting that CPU hard.

#3 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 13:09

1. Good cases albeit they are lacking in sound-proofing, so if this is going near a sleeping area you may want to consider an alternative!

2. Passive is good, especially if you're not hitting that CPU hard.

Umm, the only thing in that case is a 80x80 fan in the back. Other than the PSU, the thing would be dead quiet, especially if I get a passive cooler.

I currently disconnected all fans on my P180, and the thing is doing fine, at 35C, like I mentioned.

Edit: Unless I get something like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811165052

That has doors on it, with dust filter. Same thing, really, just the doors and a different color. Its also $6 cheaper, if that makes a huge difference.

#4 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 19:39

Nevermind, talked to a friend and he suggested I get just a new normal case and get a hot-swap bay.

He suggested this one: http://www.directron...340ssblack.html (cheaper price)

And I really want this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119197

It is the same case I have on this main system now. Just a different side-door. I just marvel at its beauty and it's portability. I just want it. Any objections to either?

#5 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 06 November 2013 - 19:53

Looking for something like this but in NZ it isnt cheap!