• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:18

Hey all,

I just got the Yoga 2 Pro which has a 3200 x 1800 resolution on a 13.3 inch screen. I noticed that all of software, as well as other software from other companies, do not scale and become hard, if not, impossible, to use. 

I mainly develop software with Java. And I learned how to use JavaFX and will continue creating my UIs with it. What can I do to overcome this issue? My software is so very tiny. They are created with fixed pixel dimensions.

Best Answer The_Decryptor , 06 November 2013 - 03:15

Apparently JavaFX does handle "HiDPI" displays properly, but on OS X and Windows your application has to inform the system that it's capable of scaling to the system DPI, on Windows that's done by an app manifest or SetProcessDPIAware API call while on OS X there's a flag called NSHighResolutionCapable that's stored in the application property list.

And of course your system has to be configured to use the proper DPI, otherwise apps will just appear small.

But just setting those flags might not be enough, you'll also need to provide higher resolution raster images for UI elements, if you perform any type of pixel manipulation you'll need to adjust the buffers for the right scale, etc. Go to the full post

#2 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:15   Best Answer

Apparently JavaFX does handle "HiDPI" displays properly, but on OS X and Windows your application has to inform the system that it's capable of scaling to the system DPI, on Windows that's done by an app manifest or SetProcessDPIAware API call while on OS X there's a flag called NSHighResolutionCapable that's stored in the application property list.

And of course your system has to be configured to use the proper DPI, otherwise apps will just appear small.

But just setting those flags might not be enough, you'll also need to provide higher resolution raster images for UI elements, if you perform any type of pixel manipulation you'll need to adjust the buffers for the right scale, etc.

#3 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:40

Thanks for the quick response! I will look into this.