• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:25

http://www.forbes.co...-ghosts-on-ps4/

Call of Duty: Ghosts is the latest iteration in one of the most popular game franchises in the world, so it’s only fitting that Activision’s shooter has become the center of a big discussion of how Microsoft's MSFT +1.94% Xbox One stacks up to Sony's SNE -1.35% PS4. The PS4 version runs at a native 1080p, and the Xbox One version runs at 720p upsacled to 1080, which may point to real differences in the power of these two consoles.

Polygon: ”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

IGN: “On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4.”

Joystiq: ”A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.”

#2 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:30

Well there you have it. The PS4 is an inferior POS, and cannot compete this gen.

:rolleyes:

#3 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:50

EDIT: Nevermind.

I think Sony just got owned by MS and the consoles aren't even out yet :laugh:

#4 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09

Just to make sure, are these reviewers playing a final copy of COD on a retail console?

Maybe its an issue that can be patched day one when the console is released.

Still, its not the next gen first impressions anyone would want to have.

#5 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:10

There's no NDA under effect ? i'm surprised.

#6 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:13

Way to give it the old college try Infinity Ward.

#7 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:47

There's no NDA under effect ? i'm surprised.

There's an NDA on the X1, which is why there's no review.

EDGE is saying that there are drops at checkpoints, but never in gunplay.

I won't bring up the interview with the IW dev.

#8 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:51

Framerate problems on console games? NO WAY!

#9 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:53

I think people underestimate the engineers working in Xbox, heh.

#10 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:07

There's an NDA on the X1, which is why there's no review.

EDGE is saying that there are drops at checkpoints, but never in gunplay.

I won't bring up the interview with the IW dev.

Here's what Gamespot has to say about the PS4 version in their official review.

Ghosts is even more impressive on the next-gen hardware of the PlayStation 4. While the current-gen versions are just as competent as ever, rendering the chaotic shootouts at a smooth 60 frames per second, the PS4's next-gen artistry creates a much more immersive battleground. Those effects are most noticeable in the levels that emphasize lighting: the soft bokeh effects of floating embers on a burning oil refinery, or the way moonlight refracts and ripples while underwater. It's essentially the difference between a PC game running on high versus low settings. Each version is functionally the same, but all those extra effects add up to a more engrossing experience. (Note: Our review of the Xbox One version remains under embargo until a later date. Activision did not provide access to the PC and Wii U versions.)

http://www.gamespot....w/1900-6415523/

From Giant Bomb review

The PlayStation 4 version of the game looks very sharp and feels very effects-laden, with a lot of good-looking lighting and reflections. It has a long draw distance, while the current consoles occasionally fog things up a bit to reduce the amount of geometry on-screen at a given time. The campaign has an early moment where you come up and see the state of the world by looking at a shot of the Hollywood Sign, which is way off in the distance.

[...]

Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version has a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate. This usually seemed to happen when a lot of smoke or other effects were on-screen, but occasionally it occurred in multiplayer for reasons I couldn't even guess at. Judging graphics on a brand-new platform can be tough, since we don't have a lot to compare it with at this point, but I will say that I had hoped that it would look a little better across the board. Whether that says more about my expectations or the quality of the game will have to wait until we see more next-generation games in action.

http://www.giantbomb...eview/1900-603/

#11 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:11

Framerate problems on console games? NO WAY!

PC version has issues, too.  On the menu.

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:19

Its strange that some reviewers would be seeing frame rate issues and others only see it at say checkpoints.

How is that possible when everyone is using the same setup?

#13 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:29

From what I'm seeing the pc version has some pretty serious issues as well. I don't think it's exactly a problem with the PS4. Seems to just be an overall poorly optimized game. Who'd have thought..

And a 40gb install..what were they thinking with that.

#14 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:31

There will most likely be patches released to fix this problem anyways.  It's kind of how games are now anyways: "Get it mostly running, patch it later!".

#15 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:34

The issue seems to be less with the console, more with the fact that the game isn't very good.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!