48 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:25

http://www.forbes.co...-ghosts-on-ps4/

Call of Duty: Ghosts is the latest iteration in one of the most popular game franchises in the world, so it’s only fitting that Activision’s shooter has become the center of a big discussion of how Microsoft's MSFT +1.94% Xbox One stacks up to Sony's SNE -1.35% PS4. The PS4 version runs at a native 1080p, and the Xbox One version runs at 720p upsacled to 1080, which may point to real differences in the power of these two consoles.

Polygon: ”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

IGN: “On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4.”

Joystiq: ”A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.”

#2 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:30

Well there you have it. The PS4 is an inferior POS, and cannot compete this gen.

:rolleyes:

#3 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:50

EDIT: Nevermind.

I think Sony just got owned by MS and the consoles aren't even out yet :laugh:

#4 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09

Just to make sure, are these reviewers playing a final copy of COD on a retail console?

Maybe its an issue that can be patched day one when the console is released.

Still, its not the next gen first impressions anyone would want to have.

#5 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:10

There's no NDA under effect ? i'm surprised.

#6 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:13

Way to give it the old college try Infinity Ward.

#7 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:47

There's no NDA under effect ? i'm surprised.

There's an NDA on the X1, which is why there's no review.

EDGE is saying that there are drops at checkpoints, but never in gunplay.

I won't bring up the interview with the IW dev.

#8 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:51

Framerate problems on console games? NO WAY!

#9 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:53

I think people underestimate the engineers working in Xbox, heh.

#10 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:07

There's an NDA on the X1, which is why there's no review.

EDGE is saying that there are drops at checkpoints, but never in gunplay.

I won't bring up the interview with the IW dev.

Here's what Gamespot has to say about the PS4 version in their official review.

Ghosts is even more impressive on the next-gen hardware of the PlayStation 4. While the current-gen versions are just as competent as ever, rendering the chaotic shootouts at a smooth 60 frames per second, the PS4's next-gen artistry creates a much more immersive battleground. Those effects are most noticeable in the levels that emphasize lighting: the soft bokeh effects of floating embers on a burning oil refinery, or the way moonlight refracts and ripples while underwater. It's essentially the difference between a PC game running on high versus low settings. Each version is functionally the same, but all those extra effects add up to a more engrossing experience. (Note: Our review of the Xbox One version remains under embargo until a later date. Activision did not provide access to the PC and Wii U versions.)

http://www.gamespot....w/1900-6415523/

From Giant Bomb review

The PlayStation 4 version of the game looks very sharp and feels very effects-laden, with a lot of good-looking lighting and reflections. It has a long draw distance, while the current consoles occasionally fog things up a bit to reduce the amount of geometry on-screen at a given time. The campaign has an early moment where you come up and see the state of the world by looking at a shot of the Hollywood Sign, which is way off in the distance.

[...]

Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version has a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate. This usually seemed to happen when a lot of smoke or other effects were on-screen, but occasionally it occurred in multiplayer for reasons I couldn't even guess at. Judging graphics on a brand-new platform can be tough, since we don't have a lot to compare it with at this point, but I will say that I had hoped that it would look a little better across the board. Whether that says more about my expectations or the quality of the game will have to wait until we see more next-generation games in action.

http://www.giantbomb...eview/1900-603/

#11 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:11

Framerate problems on console games? NO WAY!

PC version has issues, too.  On the menu.

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:19

Its strange that some reviewers would be seeing frame rate issues and others only see it at say checkpoints.

How is that possible when everyone is using the same setup?

#13 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:29

From what I'm seeing the pc version has some pretty serious issues as well. I don't think it's exactly a problem with the PS4. Seems to just be an overall poorly optimized game. Who'd have thought..

And a 40gb install..what were they thinking with that.

#14 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:31

There will most likely be patches released to fix this problem anyways.  It's kind of how games are now anyways: "Get it mostly running, patch it later!".

#15 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:34

The issue seems to be less with the console, more with the fact that the game isn't very good.