Photo

AdMuncher Alternatives - No IE11 support

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:33

It is imperative that IE11 is used, so the alternative is to use another browser is not an option.

I really like AdMuncher for blocking certain web sites. I've used a few of these types of programs. I settled for AdMuncher a couple of years back. It has been great up until now, but with the release of Windows 8.1 and IE11, AdMuncher fails on IE11.

It has been 16 months since the last release of AdMuncher and they are refusing to include support for IE11 into the last stable release of AdMuncher 4.9.3, saying they have a major version release coming in the future that will include support for IE11. However, it's been 16 months, and there are no verifiable signs on any pending released coming anytime soon.

Looking for the best alternative for blocking ads in IE11?

Anyone have a solution?

#2 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:35

What about using a HOSTS file or using Fanboy's tracking list for IE?

#3 Nomad_

Nomad_

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:37

Try Adfender

http://adfender.com/

#4 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 November 2013 - 15:37

I'm interested as well. AdBlock Plus doesn't seem to work.

#5 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 06 November 2013 - 22:59

Adguard. Works with IE11 (even 64-bit IE11 with/without Enhanced Protected Mode too!) along with the Metro/Modern UI versions of browsers including IE11 and it supports Windows 8/8.1. It also supports HTTPS site filtering, which is something Ad Muncher/Adfender don't (currently) do. ;) AND it's going to support userscripts installed globally between all filtered browsers too soon, including IE11. And Adguard is updated frequently - it was updated just days ago.

https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

#6 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:05

<snip>

Thanks, was looking for something similar as well. Much appreciated! :)

#7 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:07

I've been using Adguard for well over a year, and I'm quite pleased with it and I can't recommend it enough - it's way better than extension-based ad blocking (which is subject to browser API limitations) and is better than Ad Muncher and Adfender as well, in my opinion. Plus there's talk that Adguard might be ported to Linux and Mac OS X sometime in the future and/or some type of VPN service is introduced.

#8 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:23

i'm using proxomitron which will works on any browser as long the browser support connection via proxy.

#9 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:27

I haven't used that in years. :p

#10 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 November 2013 - 23:45

Excuse me here but, seems odd how IE11 is having so many issues. coincidence? I'm NOT bashing due to it being a "MS" product but, I've seen alot of threads about people wondering just wth is going on with IE11.

I know, without a doubt, someone with good IT knowledge here at NEOWIN could give us a straight answer on this. Just be honest... I'd like to know.

#11 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:13

Excuse me here but, seems odd how IE11 is having so many issues. coincidence? I'm NOT bashing due to it being a "MS" product but, I've seen alot of threads about people wondering just wth is going on with IE11.

I know, without a doubt, someone with good IT knowledge here at NEOWIN could give us a straight answer on this. Just be honest... I'd like to know.

Which isn't really IE's fault, nor anyone else's honestly. In the past websites/forum software/etc. had to use various hacks in order to get code working in older versions of IE. As IE has become better in regards to supporting web standards, those hacks need to be removed (in some cases, adjusted) which causes the various incompatibilities with newer versions of IE. Look at Neowin and IE11. Those issues are caused by CKEditor's incompatibilities with IE11 - apparently they had to use hacks in the past to get code working in older IE versions, but now those pieces of code are causing incompatibilities with IE11 so they're in the process of fixing those issues. That's also why you see sites dropping support for older IE versions from time to time, so they can remove the legacy code for supporting older IE versions.

If you can get past the teething issues with websites, IE11 works pretty good!

#12 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:22

ah so Websites haven't optomized their websites to IE11? figures.

#13 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:25

IE11 is still pretty new, give the various websites/vendors time to iron out the issue and push updates. :) Sure, there's compatibility mode in IE for that, but most times (at least in my case) it breaks sites even more. :p

#14 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:26

Apparently Ad Muncher is not compatible with Windows 8.1 at the moment, they are supposed to be working on an update but who knows when it will be out.

#15 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 07 November 2013 - 00:27

Yeah, I gave up on Ad Muncher a few years ago due to all the little annoyances in regards to filtration, rule creation and lack of HTTPS filtering (which they've been promising for a few years now). Adguard. <3